Old and new K1000 (!?)
Feb 2, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are so lucky having the K1000's. It's the only headphone that I still lust for.

- augustwest

well, between nik and superman's ears, we've got 14. anyone want to give august here one of the crappier sounding ones?

Feb 5, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, between nik and superman's ears, we've got 14. anyone want to give august here one of the crappier sounding ones?

I don't think do exhist some "crappie K1000", just some very special pieces, and seems to be the older series...
k1000smile.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #20 of 48
"New" K1000 are the 10xxx and 11xxx sn series that adopt the new 101 driver.

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #21 of 48
Another K1000 sn 06xxx ...

During these latest mounts I had many K1000, some of the new branch (sn 10xxx and 11xxx) and other two of the older series: 03xxx and 06xxx, this is the last I have bought. All these K1000 are new (never used, so they need a burnin time to give their best).

All the Can sound different, some just a bit, just a very little difference, other are very different. The new series are generally more brilliant and clear, some times they have a thin sound. The olders have the most full body sound.

There are some differences in the construction, the driver have a different position of the wire inside. Even the sn 06xxx has that little internal wire on the internal side of the pads. Only the oldest one, the sn 03xxx, has that wire in a different position, on the back of the driver. And only this one has the most full and body sound, I’d say that this one (the oldest), is the very best K1000 respect to all I have.

I don’t know which kind of driver have the other series as 04xxx and 05xxx, but I think that the first K1000, from 0 to 03xxx are the very best.

k1000smile.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #23 of 48
I have a theory. Since the exact same thing is said about the RS-1s, I think maybe the drivers are looser causing more bass. I simply think the more they are used, the better they sound. There are also claims on this with the K701s.

So, they break in, and just keep getting better
confused.gif
who knows, but that's my theory.

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #24 of 48
I subscribe to that theory as well Rob, however it is a bit odd considering Nik has stated that all the pairs he has tried have been NOS. Perhaps the drivers have still loosened up with age despite having not been used?

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I subscribe to that theory as well Rob, however it is a bit odd considering Nik has stated that all the pairs he has tried have been NOS. Perhaps the drivers have still loosened up with age despite having not been used?

Good point!

Maybe the material has softened with age
confused.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #26 of 48
Guys, I have compared all those cans at the same condition of work, in the same setup, I can't explain, but some of them start with excellent sound... it's hard to adfirm that even without working they become excellent, only with time, nobody can confirm this theory...

My theory is that a lot depends by the drivers. That wire position... may be, I don't know, and (I think) nobody knows... but this is sure: some K1000, as my sn 03xxx sound AMAZING, other simply very good... other only good.

k1000smile.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of comming up with theories, why doesn't someone just email AKG and ask them directly? That's what I did to settle the debate over whether or not a tripath based amp can damage the K1000s.

I am pretty confident they will have the answers to the questions you seek.

What did they say about the t-amp? I'm interested in the official take on it.

Mar 8, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did they say about the t-amp? I'm interested in the official take on it.

Here is the exact email that I sent AKG:

"Greetings.

I have a simple question with regard to AKG K1000 headphones.

Specifically, is it safe to use a D-class or Tripath power amplifier with the AKG K1000s?

There are rumors flying around the internet that Tripath power amplifiers can potentially harm the K1000s, and I want to find out for certain if this is true or not.
I figured that the right people to ask would be the Expert Technicians at AKG.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you."

Here is the exact reply I received from AKG:

"Thank you for contacting AKG.
We do not know this rumours. Provided, you prevent the K 1000 to get overloaded, it should not be a problem to use it with switching amps. Personally I would prefer a good Class A amplifier for the K 1000.

If you want a special amp, just for the K 1000 itself, I recommend the following:

In earlier days, AKG sold the K 1000 amp. To my regret, it is no longer available from AKG. But you may contact Mr. Axel Schäfer from SAC, who built the amps for AKG, he can still supply it.

SAC GmbH
Mr. Axel Schäfer
Michaelerstrasse 24 a
45130 Essen
Tel.: +49 (0) 201 793479
Fax: 0049 201 790294
info@sac.de
www.sac.de

Kind regards

Horst Werner
AKG hotline
hotline@akg.com"