Old and new K1000 (!?)
Feb 1, 2007 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi K1000 guys, I have 3 K1000 and I had other two recently (I have sold these two and I do not remember exactely the serial number, but sure, they was new cans.

My 3 k1000 are 10xxx; 11xxx and 03534, this one is the old one, this a 1992 cans, has the black wooden box. The first two are the new and have the same sound and construction, the old one is different in sound and even in some little detail of the construction. All the 3 K1000 are not fully burned-in, so in the same condition.

The old K1000 has a different form on the leather headband, not as the new, these are built as a circle, the old is more confortable, this has the head form. The write AKG on the headband is in another position.The grills are more sturdy (robust) on the old one.
Looking inside I can notice a different postion of the thin wire that goes to the driver, in the new you can see that wire as in a free position, in the old K1000 the little wire is on the back and not in a so free position (sorry for my english, very hard to describe these things, for me...).

The cans are also different in sound, I prefer the oldest one: a fuller and robust sound. I'd think the other two a bit thin in comparison and a sensation of fragility... but just an impression... So that new driver (called 101) do not match the oldest... (IMO). The oldest K1000 sounds as a NOS tube, and the new ones as new production tubes, just for an example...

If other of you have done the same experience or comparison between differents K1000, please let me know your impressions.

Feb 1, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 48
Wow Nik, my set is even older than yours. Mine is No 01478! They just arrived this morning and I'm listening to them now and they sound great, even through my old NAD pre and Hafler power amp. They share many of the sonic traits of the Stax SR-X which is great because I love the old Staxes. I think the K1000 and me are going to become firm friends. This being my only set of K1000s, I can't say whether the newer or older models sound best but this is something I've read before where people prefer one over the other.

Back to listening....
k1000smile.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow Nik, my set is even older than yours. Mine is No 01478! They just arrived this morning and I'm listening to them now and they sound great, even through my old NAD pre and Hafler power amp. They share many of the sonic traits of the Stax SR-X which is great because I love the old Staxes. I think the K1000 and me are going to become firm friends. This being my only set of K1000s, I can't say whether the newer or older models sound best but this is something I've read before where people prefer one over the other.

Back to listening....
k1000smile.gif

Good !

is your K1000 a NOS one? Or did you bought them used? Have you a good listening...

Feb 1, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good !

is your K1000 a NOS one? Or did you bought them used? Have you a good listening...

Mine are used. I got them from the original owner in Germany. They're in very good condition given their apparent age and there is little sign of wear, plus they work flawlessly. I'm very happy.

Damn, these things are amazing at taking the sound out of the head and sounding so 'there'. Comfort is good too. I really like not having pads on my ears.

Feb 1, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by superman's ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=208636

Yes, I know that you have said, but at that time I had only two of the new series (11xxx).

Now I have one of the oldest 3534, and I'd agree with you when you adfirm that the oldest series (25xx) are the best sound.

If you still have difernts K1000, can you tell something about those differences I have detected? (Wire and headband...).

Feb 1, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 48
Due you think the older ones sound better due to the fact that you've listened to them for many hours? Or do you think that when the "old" ones were new, they sounded different from the "new" new ones.

Feb 1, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Due you think the older ones sound better due to the fact that you've listened to them for many hours? Or do you think that when the "old" ones were new, they sounded different from the "new" new ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...All the 3 K1000 are not fully burned-in, so in the same condition...

Feb 2, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, the older one is only 10 hours, not many ... it was a NOS pair! I have compared them with another K1000 with the same hours, and they really sound different, like when you change the tubes in the amp, as I said, the older one sounds as NOS tubes, it's a very special K1000.

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 48
Hey Nik

My is 15 years old, so I think they are old production as well. The number is #01688
k1000smile.gif
Bought from orig. owner in great shape. He admitted to kept it them in the box for the last 14 years, can you imagine?!
Just sold my second pair, with number 07778 or something. They had the black box as well only the inside/outside finish is very different. I will post some pics later.
The sound wise, I don't know, didn't took much time to compare. But from the first impressions didn't notice a big difference. In some little musical passages I did notice something but that was not that big. For example that some instrument were a quit a bit different sounding, however the whole aspect was alike. So I think this is something that you need a lot more time to finding out. And the rig must be right, which isn't mine at all, YET...
But I do believe in the fact that something goes "wrong" in the production that causes this issues. Maybe that's why they have stop to make them, who knows.

Keep inform us Nik. Maybe I have another pair, crossing my road, and I will take more time then, promise.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pair I sold have the number 07772. Here some pics

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222485

I have noticed immediately the difference in sound, it's depends even by the amp and cables... but it is so evident... the older one sound more relaxed and musical for my tastes, and I prefer this kind of sound. Probably the better series are from the beginning (your K1000) to the 04xxx, but who knows ???

Even my sn 03534 was keept for 15 years in the shelf and unused... untill I have discovered and bought, (I'm very lucky man)

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are so lucky having the K1000's. It's the only headphone that I still lust for.

- augustwest

I've heard they are called headspeakers but maybe that's just a nickname.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 48
“I've heard they are called headspeakers but maybe that's just a nickname.”

You are right, that is the correct terminology, because of their unique design.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back