Okay this infuriates me...
Mar 1, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #16 of 64
You make two false assumptions, Naris. One, you made the false assumption that the American general public is fairly intelligent. That sir, is wrong. Two, you make the assumption that the knowledge or lack thereof of the constitution is a measure of that intelligence. That, too, is wrong.

Alot of people willingly ignore it, such as I do. I will not speak for the unintelligent, however, they are on there own.

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #18 of 64
The only amendment I remember is the right to bear arms, but dont ask me which amendment it is.

This just means we need an animated cartoon show with the amendments as characters
biggrin.gif

DIE BOSE!

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #19 of 64
Quote:

This just means we need an animated cartoon show with the amendments as characters

It has already been done
icon10.gif

"Krusty: Well, Itchy and Scratchy are gone, but here's a cartoon that tries to make learning fun! Sorry about this, kids. But stay tuned. We've got some real good toy commercials coming right up. I swear.

Boy: Say, who left all this garbage on the steps of Congress?

Amendment-to-be:

I'm not garbage.
I'm an amendment to be.
Yes, an amendment to be.
And I'm hoping that they'll ratify me.

There's a lot of flag burners
Who have got too much freedom.
I want to make it legal for policemen to beat 'em.
'Cause there's limits to our liberties.
'Least I hope and pray that there are.
'Cause those liberal freaks go too far.

Boy: But why can't we just make a lawagainst flag burning?

Amendment-to-be: Because that law would be unconstitutional. But if we changethe Constitution...

Boy: Then we could make all sorts of crazy laws.

Amendment-to-be: Now you're catching on.

Boy: But what if people say you're not good enough to be in the Constitution?

Amendment-to-be:

Then I'll crush all opposition to me
And I'll make Ted Kennedy pay.
If he fights back, I'll say that he's gay.

Narrator: Good news, amendment. They ratified you. You're in the U.S. Constitution.

Amendment-to-be: Oh, yeah! Door's open, boys!"

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #20 of 64
Quote:

The only amendment I remember is the right to bear arms, but dont ask me which amendment it is.

my favorite,along with "freedom of speech" even though some of the "free speech" makes me want to bash the speaker over the head with my righteous 44 mag Marlin brush rifle
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
you should be even more infuriated that our high schools and universities are graduating idiots,functional illiterates that can barely read at the fifth grade level because they don't want to hurt any feeling or piss off the parents who are paying the tuition.
Rather than doing their job and failing those who are learning nothing we are instead headed for a generation of numbskulls that can not walk and chew gum at the same time and if someone ever takes away their electronic toys would not be able to function in daily life.

How can they know what our rights and how/why this nation was founded when they can not even read the damn text and american history is no longer being taught in american schools because it is not PC ?

Damn glad I will be deep in the ground when this nation of fools has their day in the sun
rolleyes.gif

The average American is as dumb as a brick and you hit it on the head when you said our educational institutions let them be this way. Looking at the events of the past few years in this country I can't help but think to the book "1984" and just how damn prophetic George Orwell (or I should say, the guy writing under that name) was when he wrote that. An ignorant proletariat that believes everything the media and the government tells them is on full display in this country. They could care less about their rights or freedoms just so long as they are kept happy in material things.

Just ask people to name all 50 states. Or the 3 branches of government. Ask them what municipality and county they live in. Do they know who their state governor is, or the mayer of the city they live in? What two countries share land borders with the United States? What are the official names of those countries? What year did the state you live in achieve statehood? Name all 7 continents. Just basic stuff like that appallingly few people can answer.

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
you should be even more infuriated that our high schools and universities are graduating idiots,functional illiterates that can barely read at the fifth grade level because they don't want to hurt any feeling or piss off the parents who are paying the tuition.
Rather than doing their job and failing those who are learning nothing we are instead headed for a generation of numbskulls that can not walk and chew gum at the same time and if someone ever takes away their electronic toys would not be able to function in daily life.

How can they know what our rights and how/why this nation was founded when they can not even read the damn text and american history is no longer being taught in american schools because it is not PC ?

Damn glad I will be deep in the ground when this nation of fools has their day in the sun
rolleyes.gif

Amen to that!

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #24 of 64
Jay Leno on the Tonight Show used to do a segment where he would take his camera to the street and ask people very easy questions. I cringed when I saw that people couldn't even name the Vice President of the country!

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #25 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by cazoo
Jay Leno on the Tonight Show used to do a segment where he would take his camera to the street and ask people very easy questions. I cringed when I saw that people couldn't even name the Vice President of the country!

I remember those segments....funny, but rather sad.

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by cazoo

I know some people like this... they graduated at the top of their high school class too.
confused.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #27 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
... What year did the state you live in achieve statehood? ...

OK, now that is just getting to plain old "who cares" trivia. The other ones range from the obvious to tedious (rattling off the 50 states), but I can't for the life of me see the importance in real life of what year your state came to be. Heck, I'd put knowing the capitols of all the states as more important - and even that is trivial knowledge that doesn't serve to accomplish anything on a day to day basis.

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #29 of 64
Surveys don't really mean anything. Really. You can write questions that lead the survey taker, you can ask questions in such a way that lead the survery taker, you can choose certain questions over others...

Two characters from the Simpsons? That's like asking someone in America to name two cities with a population over 1 million. Of course everyone will get that right, helping to make the survey more 'shocking' when so many more people know the Simpsons than the provisions of the first ammendment.

Think about it - people in 3rd world countries can name Bart and Homer
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't name all five provisions off the top of my head and I'm in MENSA (www.mensa.org) - I forgot the right to petition. Does that make me ignorant and stupid?

But ask me, "Do people in the US have the right to create petitions?" and I would without hesitation know the answer.

Similarly, ask people if they have the right to assemble and/or protest. Ask if they have the right to free speech. Ask if the press has a right to report the facts. Ask if we have the right to practice our religion. I'm confident that many more would have answered correctly.

Ask someone, "Does the first ammendment grant you the right to own a pet?" and many would say yes...but that's a leading question which encourages a 'yes' answer. Many would blurt out yes knowing that it is within their rights to own a pet without fully considering the question, just like 'trick' questions in high school.

Knowing one's rights does not require the ability to recite them on command. It's almost intuitive, like the social codes that govern conduct in a dance club full of drunk singles vs. a fancy restaurant full of older folks on a Sunday. You 'know' what is and isn't acceptable but couldn't necessarily recite the rules off the top of your head.

In other words, read between the lines. Blindly holding up the results of a survey without considering its value doesn't signify much intellegence either
wink.gif

The real results of that survey? A sensationalistic headline that sells papers and gives someone's cause a few minutes in the spotlight.

--Illah

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trance-Addict

Dang, I always thought this was the right to ARM BEARS....

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back