OK3s: A review...
Mar 9, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #31 of 87
Nah.

PK = Pai Kia (loose translation = gangster or punk).

Its literal meaning is Player Kill though...

So does this mean that punks wear the PK series to aid them in easily killing other people/clans in FPSes such as Half Life? o_O
They probably have to thank the PK series imaging for that.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #32 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL funny, in Cantonese PK is a curse word LOL kinda like the Chinese word for f!@#...
biggrin.gif

Because there are so many Canton people live abroad, lots of west people believe Cantonese is common language in China. Unfortunately they are wrong. Canton is just a province at the south end of China (31 provinces total). Outside of Canton (Canton=Guangdong province in Standard Mandarin), almost nobody knows (or even care) how to speak Cantonese F words.

chinamap.gif

PK became popular in China because of Super girl contest (Wikipedia link) from 2005. PK: Player kill, the term used by online game players to mean games where you kill the other players. PK has been used on Super Voice Girls to refer to the knockout part of the show: after a round of singing, the competitor who gets the fewest SMS votes and another one who judges decide has made too many mistakes are sent to the special PK Stage; one is eliminated in a one-to-one competition.

YUIN use PK as their type name because they believe PK earphones can win most of the headphones in the market when people do A/B comparing.

Youtube Video of Super Girl contest: Don't Cry For Me, Argentina - Jane Zhang
Time Magazine: Li Yuchun Loved for Being Herself
time.jpg

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Mar 9, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #33 of 87
PK, in short of Player Killer, which I believe originated from very early of the first version of Diablo (the game), where player can kill others on the Multiplayer mode ('Diablo Spawn') and pick up a piece of the killed player's ear as trophy to show how strong you are. The second version of Diablo banned this cause apparently more players are killing each other than monsters. It later become the symbol of 'only the strongest survives'.

Mar 9, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #34 of 87
LOL wow... I started a explanation craze for "PK" well what I was referring to, was "Pok Gai"... it's a common swear word in places like Hong Kong
smily_headphones1.gif
and places where alot of Hong Kong people immigrate like Toronto XD

and yes, I do fine it misleading that most "Westerner" believe that a majority of China speaks Cantonese when they do not. I am quite aware that probably only 2-3% of people in China speak Cantonese, and Mandarin vastly outnumbers them, but in Hong Kong (where I spend most my time in China), is still primarily Cantonese, although Mandarin is starting to have an influence
biggrin.gif
speaking of which, I'm also learning Mandarin
smily_headphones1.gif
I didn't know Yuin named it PK for a reason, that's actually pretty cool.

Now, let go back to topic and maybe I ask around when will the OK1s be released?
smily_headphones1.gif
Any meaning in OK? LOL

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #35 of 87
Okay, back to the OK3s. I ordered up some Comply T400 tips (3 sets) and see if they will make a difference. I would love to get that longer sound tube as well, and see if that matters. Also, no matter what tube/tip combo, there are some holes in the OK3s that fall outside the sound tube. Do they deliver bass, Nankai? If so, does that mean that you don't get the full effect of the OKs using the sound tube? Just curious.

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #36 of 87
Those holes are probably there so the transducer can 'breathe'. I suspect that if you seal off all those holes, SQ will suffer.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #37 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet that would work with the Comply T400 tips. I completely forgot about them. I will order some up (maybe the slims) and see how the sound changes. Thanks. Listening right now to the OK3s, ampless in earbud mode with the Sansa e270, doing the dishes. And they sound great. Now, we just need to unlock the secret for the canalphones via the right tubes/tips.

We have tubes at different size. This is one of them.

1.jpg

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Mar 11, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #40 of 87
Wow, some crazy looking metal nozzle you got there, Fang!

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #44 of 87
Okay, I am sitting here listening to the OK3s with the Comply T400 foamies that came today, and they are an improvement over the OEM tips. With the foam, the screw-on tubes seem more sealed off, with little sound leaking out the sides, as is the case, it seemed to me (and FeedMeTrance confirmed it) with the silicone sleeves.

Listening to Brubeck's Take Five, and I am hearing it more the way it's supposed to sound, not with the loss of detail and "thinness" the silicone rubber sleeves (either regular or bi-flange) delivered.

My issue now is my ears have different sized canal, so the right one doesn't feel as tight as it could, but the left one is intact and feels fine. I would not wear these to run or jog based on that. Now, if Comply made T400s in slim, that would work even better. I don't believe they do, only one size. Also tried Dire Straights (Money for Nothing) and Diana Krall (Live in Paris, I love Being Here with You). They sound good too, nowhere near as thin as with the silicone sleeves.

Anyway, my concerns with the OK3 as canal phones are no longer insurmountable. Even with the Complys, they don't have the same isolation as the Sleeks or 616s (I can hear the keys clicking as I type, in fact), But they are much more snug fitting. Comfort is good too with the Complys, which only come in gray.

I am not saying that the Comply sound is exactly the same as the ear bud sound, but it's closer than with the OEM tips. In my case, that's a good thing. It's hard to do a sound comparison quickly when you have to mess with changing the phone from canalphone to ear bud and back. All I can go on is memory, using some favorite tracks.

Of course, I'd still like to hear the OK3s with the longer sound tube, which Fang says will ship out as soon as he gets some. That could be the difference in terms of getting ALL the sound into your ear canals. The Complys, at least to me, represent a step in the right direction. They are not yet perfect (or at least not the exact same SQ as the ear buds), but better than before, even tolerable. I hope the longer sound tube makes the difference. I still think the shortness of the tube doesn't allow a deep enough insertion, and that's why the sound is thinner with the canalphones vs. the ear buds. With the latter, you get no insertion, of course, but they sound goes directly out of the drivers into your ear. With the short tubes, the leakage just seems even worse than with an ear bud. Of course, it just could be that the Yuins, even in their new convertible form, are better phones as ear buds, period, for the same reason that those ear bud extenders never really work. Not sure.

But the OK3s do sound very rich, clean and are a step up from the PK3s. Not a major step, as I said, but a more refined sound. I just want to get those longer sound tubes and see what happens.

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #45 of 87
So I just got my OK3's in today.

First off I would like to say that I am interested in the OK3 only for the earbud, as I don't need the isolation, so most of this review will be about the earbud.

The cable, jacks, and build are basically the same quality as the PK3's. The OK3 earbuds are a bit thicker than the PK3's. It is a Y-cord and much longer which I think is good.

I will be extensively comparing the OK3's to the PK3's as EARBUDS as that is what I am most interested in. Remember that these are entry-level earbuds, so if I make any extreme comments, please regard them as in the realm of entry level earbuds. These are not and will not outperform full-sized, more expensive headphones (I think
tongue.gif
).

The canal tubes are way too short for my ears. I got one of the early samples so I didn't get the longer tubes as a sample to review. So far none of the tips will fit completely in my ear and seal anything because the earbud keeps them from going any further into my ear. I will not be able to do a review on the canalphone since it sounds horrible and tinny without it inserting all the way into my ears.

Now to the earbud review.

First impressions of the OK3 are very good. I am using the donut foamies with the both OK3 and PK3. First thing I noticed was more clarity and soundstage than the PK3. Not by much, but better. There is a bit less bass (so slight that it does not matter to me), but it is nice, tight, and punchy. I am quite the punchy bass enthusiast and these satisfy as far as earbuds go. I listen to primarily rock music and acoustic guitar music. I will be doing this review based on a few tracks. My source is a Sony S618 which has one of the best headphone outs I have heard.

Strung Out - The Misanthropic Principle

This song is a very good rock track to measure the bass impact of my rock music. Typically headphones with boomy bass make the bass drum sound very muddy. This is not the case with the OK3's. Each drum kick can be distinguished clearly from one another, and each one is clear and distinguished. However, I could ask for a bit more quantity.

Antoine Dufour - Spiritual Groove

This is an acoustic guitar piece that I just absolutely love. Out of the OK3's, the acoustic sound is wonderful. The mids on the OK3's are so liquidy smooth, which are so good for acoustic guitar music. One thing that I noticed that lacks (both the OK3 and PK3) is the soundstage however. Not that there isn't any, but there could be a bit more, but I don't think I have heard this good of soundstage off of any earbud.

Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto 2

I just threw in a classical piece just to get a taste of what the OK3's can do. The piano sounded wonderful, and the orchestra sounded great. I wanted to get a feel for the soundstage of the OK3's and they truly are a fun rocker's headphone. PK3's sound like you are a few rows from the front, while the OK3's puts you a few rows behind the PK3's. However, the soundstage on full-sized headphones like my HD580 is much better (quite expectedly).

Final Conclusion

I would just like to say that I absolutely love the OK3's. Take my word for what it is. I am not saying that it is the end-all be all headphone. It is the PERFECT headphone for portable use, and along with the canalphone you can have isolation or no isolation. I prefer no isolation. It depends on what the price of these will be, but if they are priced similarly to the PK3's, I would not hesitate to recommend these to anyone and everyone as they are a very fun portable headphone to carry around. They definitely beat out the other portables that are highly regarded that aren't even earbuds, like the Senn PX100's and Koss PortaPros that I have auditioned extensively for portable use. Thumbs up to Yuin and Head-Direct for the great customer service!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back