OK3s: A review...
Mar 16, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #76 of 87
I guess I'd rather they keep focusing on sound, since "design" on the earbud front is pretty much an oxymoron. Now, on the canalphone/IEM front, the screw-on post isn't going to win any beauty contests (or, at this point, SQ contests either). Here, I'd like to see them come up with something entirely new, and design could be important (though not crucial).

But I don't think there is much more they can do on the eabud design front. Just keep improving the sound, Yuin, since I'll always have a place for a great-sounding ear bud in my collection.

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #79 of 87
It's funny how lots of people talk about the design of the yuin earbud isn't that important, but it seems silly that the box is the most elaborate looking earphone or headphone box I have seen, yet the earbuds are super plain.

In think by putting some of those cool designs from the box onto the earbud itself like over the black or something and make it in different colors for the 3 different pk's or ok's. Now thats a good idea. It keeps the same design but makes it more stylish looking

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #80 of 87
Well, after a month or so, I am now convinced that the Yuin OK3s are fantastic ear buds in the Yuin tradition, but today the longer screw-on tubes arrived from Head-Direct and I still can't recommend the OK3s if you are looking for a canalphone first, ear bud second. If they didn't have the ear bud option, I might feel differently (would not have the ear buds to compare with). But even with the variety of tips and both the long and short sound tubes, I find OK3 ear buds deliver deeper bass and crisper mids and highs, much like their brethren, the PKs.

When switching to the canalphone mode, they lose what makes them great, and become better-than-average canalphones, but just not on the same level as the buds. Someone in another thread who is reviewing the OK lineup also prefers the ear bud mode, saying the OKs lose something due to the fact that part of the ear bud is not used with the tube in place.

I also still find the OK3s a notch better than the PK3s, and that is saying something. I just personally won't be using the sound tube/canalphone option.

Of course, for someone looking for an ear bud for quiet listening and a canalphone for commuting, etc. (maybe SQ isn't as important on the train), they might be the ticket.

Oct 23, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #81 of 87
^ Judging from your post, I'm pretty let down!

I was planning to get a pair of Yuin OK's to replace my Westone UM1's, since I really like the sound that comes from the Yuin PK2's (which I own).

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #82 of 87
My OK3 experience:
1.- Out of the box dissapointing, but after 100 hrs burning in, it sounds like my KSC75 Kramer mod (almost).
2.-The high freq a bit less brilliant than KSC75
3.- I use the short tube with medium sleeves, but with the Senn one. Better seal, may be because the material is a little hard than the Yuin sleeves.

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #83 of 87
I need to fix my KSC75 but from what I remember, the bass is cleaner and goes deeper on the OK3, used as earbuds. After donut-ing my pads, the highs are clearer than before, but still slightly lacking compared to the KSC75. It's quite good for most non-classical music genres (for a portable). I'm interested in how the OK1/PK1 sounds now, although I most likely won't ever buy such expensive earbuds.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #84 of 87
I completely agree with you.
Now, what do yu think about the diameter of the sleeves tube? Did you pay attention that is smaller than the driver hole? Will the waves flow as it must, with reduced diameter?

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #85 of 87
Yes, I noticed it is smaller. Using the tube, the sound gets muddier, and the treble frequencies are decreased and more jumbled. Fairly bad sound, I must admit... but I bought these earbuds as earbuds, as I already have IEMs. I think the tube acts as a bass reflex tube, which causes resonance in the bass, and I guess which is somehow muddying up and decreasing the apparent treble.

Edit: I only tried with the shortest tube I had. The longer ones seem kind of ridiculous to me. Maybe I'm putting them on wrong?

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #86 of 87
Just received the OK3s. I was disappointed that they came with only the short tube. I am going to need the longer tube to get a good seal. Any ideas where i can get my hands on the longer tubes? Fang doesn't sell them at the moment.

Jan 5, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #87 of 87
Hi guys ,
I just received the OK3s from Fang. I ran it off the iPhone unamped and then amped thru the Hornet. Both situations showed a completely anemic bass. The clarity is still there. But the fullness was missing. Sounded like my Grado SR60 from a long time ago!
Is this a result of no break in? Will the sound improve after about 100hrs break in? Or should I just return them and look elsewhere.
FYI - I was using and intend to use the donut hole thingy.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back