OK im an idiot.
Mar 2, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #61 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sw33t.Shuga.Ray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^I have the sylvania gold 408a > Fyi

Oh? And still no bass to speak of? That surprises me. Then you're stuck with no bass, I'm afraid
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #62 of 83
well if I were nitpicky as most people are then yes. I was speaking comparatively though (amped). bass is the achilles heel of the ad700. its not that bad though. in this case it enhances the mids and highs

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #64 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that you removed your rig/setup from your signature.
I thought it was a good and fair thing for people to know that you're running k701's unamped from a macbook or with a cheap mixer from the macbook. especially when you're telling people that k701's aren't an upgrade from ad700's.

smile_phones.gif

LOL. I removed it because it didn't seem necessary to have a signature. Yes, I run my K701 from a UB802, and to my ears, the phones aren't an upgrade from the AD700. I'm sure you'd disagree with my opinion just as strongly if I'd instead found the K701 a tremendous upgrade...or maybe not. In either case, you're free to evaluate both phones on your gear and provide your opinions. As far as I know, though, I'm one of maybe two people on the thread so far who has owned and compared both phones simultaneously. If you need to believe no one can not find the K701 an upgrade to the AD700, despite the fact that multiple people have already posted otherwise, go ahead.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #65 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That explains a whole lot! K701's are not to even be bothered with unless you have a good source and good amp.

From personal experience, I'd also disagree with this. I've bothered with the K701 for almost a thousand hours now, and I've enjoyed them from my Macbook, from my mixer, and (gasp!) from my iPod. If you can't enjoy the phones through anything less than a $500 amp and $500 source, that's a shame. But it's more than possible to enjoy the heck out of a K701 through much less, and I know I'm not the only person here who's done so. :O)

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #66 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He likes misleading people.
wink.gif

I don't think I've ever falsified or attempted to hide my setup. As I've said, if you need expensive gear to enjoy your K701, go ahead and get it. But not everyone does.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #67 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP should skip to the chase and go straight to the top of the Audio Technica food chain: AD2000 and W5000

Depending on what he likes in the AD700, neither of these are necessarily upgrades. Based on what I like in the AD700, the only ATH upgrade to it would be the AD900.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #68 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depending on what he likes in the AD700, neither of these are necessarily upgrades. Based on what I like in the AD700, the only ATH upgrade to it would be the AD900.

And what would those qualities possibly be in terms of sound quality?
popcorn.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #69 of 83
Quote:

And what would those qualities possibly be?

The soundstage, which is wider in both the AD700 and AD900 than the AD2000 or W5000. The 700 and 900 are also the airiest models.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #70 of 83
Quote:

The soundstage, which is wider in both the AD700 and AD900 than the AD2000 or W5000. The 700 and 900 are also the airiest models.

Have you had experience with them?

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #71 of 83
Quote:

Have you had experience with them?

I own the AD700, and I've read the posts of people on this forum who own the AD700, AD900, AD1000, and AD2000. For example, ask ntah_thanh; he's said what I'm saying multiple times on the forum, and he owns the AD700 and AD2k. As much as folks here would like to believe it, higher model numbers don't mean improvements in every direction.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #73 of 83
Quote:

I own the AD700, and I've read the posts of people on this forum who own the AD700, AD900, AD1000, and AD2000. For example, ask ntah_thanh; he's said what I'm saying multiple times on the forum, and he owns the AD700 and AD2k. As much as folks here would like to believe it, higher model numbers don't mean improvements in every direction.

Where did you read the ad700 has better soundstage than the w5000? I'm very curious.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #74 of 83
Quote:

From personal experience, I'd also disagree with this. I've bothered with the K701 for almost a thousand hours now, and I've enjoyed them from my Macbook, from my mixer, and (gasp!) from my iPod. If you can't enjoy the phones through anything less than a $500 amp and $500 source, that's a shame. But it's more than possible to enjoy the heck out of a K701 through much less, and I know I'm not the only person here who's done so. :O)

of course you are entitled to your personal enjoyment, but why do you find it so offensive that the k701s might objectively have a higher potential that may be realized beyond the HP out of a macbook?

you're being unnecessarily contentious: making adverse recommendations and downtrodding others' suggestions and opinions with no personal experience of the rigs that they recommend.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #75 of 83
Offcourse you are totally allowed to have your own opinion about the AD700, K701, sound, amps, sources etc. Lucky, but you are closing in on the edge of sanity
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back