OK im an idiot.
Feb 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #31 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey - I used to repeatedly recommend the original Speedlink Medusa 5.1 headset!

I just got a used Medusa 5.1 Classic headset on ebay. Set-up was a PITA, but I'm really liking them for games and movies. I'd like to find some replacement headphone connectors to make an adaptor so I can try out the amp with regular headphones.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #32 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a used Medusa 5.1 Classic headset on ebay. Set-up was a PITA, but I'm really liking them for games and movies. I'd like to find some replacement headphone connectors to make an adaptor so I can try out the amp with regular headphones.

I do think the classic Medusas are better than they sometimes get credit for (although Speedlink have now changed the design, using different drivers for the rear 'satellites' leading to comments about lack of bass in the rear). A while ago I thought they were an excellent solution to get surround sound over headphones (and I'm a bit of a surround sound junkie - especially for games).

Up until when I had an Audigy 2, I would have said that surround sound over stereo headphones just didn't work convincingly enough. Also had an XtremeMusic but I was only using the medusas at the time and the 5.1 mode was more convincing than the medusas in stereo with CMSS headphone.

Having tried Dolby Headphone on my current Xonar D2 I now find it much more convincing for positioning than the Medusas. DH needs a good set of headphones to avoid sounding artificial though.

I wouldn't bother with using the Medusa amp for anything else. I thought it picked up too much RF interferance to be of much use and it was my main annoyance with the medusas. I got a constant buzzing from the amp when my wi-fi was switched on and practically got deafened if I ever received a text message on my phone.

I've just taken delivery of an Auzentech Prelude and will give CMSS headphone another go soon though.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #33 of 83
AD700s did it for me, too.
now I'm trying to decide whether to get some sr60is or another pair of them in case they break...
but no one's had theirs break, have they?

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #34 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700s did it for me, too.
now I'm trying to decide whether to get some sr60is or another pair of them in case they break...
but no one's had theirs break, have they?

If I were you I'd look for a used SR225 or A900. You wont need two AD700s.

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #35 of 83
ok ,ive ogt many hours on the ad700s now so heres what i think,

sansa clip-ibasso t4- ad700

BEST MUSICAL EXPERIENCE IVE EVER HAD EVER.

ive never had trouble switching music off to go do something else, until i started using this rig.

i wont try to describe the sound too hard, other then i can hear everything, in amazing detail, nothings offensive.

highs lows mids all there, speed, stage no complaints about anything.

way better then any car or home system IVE EVER HEARD.

and ive heard some $40,000+ rigs

i really cant imagine how things could get any better?

will a $1200 set of 'phones and $4500 amps and source be 800% better?

i doubt it./

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #36 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your new enthusiasm based on 20 minutes listening to a new pair of headphones is, while different in context, just as misplaced as your original enthusiasm for the HD280s.

Enjoy the new headphones, but hold off the wax lyrical proclamations until a little later once you've got a better understanding of the sound.

Indeed.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by what? /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i doubt it./

Welcome to diminishing returns.

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #37 of 83
Quote:

ive never had trouble switching music off to go do something else, until i started using this rig.

i wont try to describe the sound too hard, other then i can hear everything, in amazing detail, nothings offensive.

i doubt it./

Something's not right here. I still think you're in the honeymoon phase with these things. Especially when the source is a Clip and you're essentially double amping it.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #38 of 83
the HD280s are one of the best closed headphones under $100 but if you are comparing them against W5000 that would be so stupid since they are in completely different price ranges. It is best to compare headphones that are around the same price or are in a price range.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #39 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something's not right here. I still think you're in the honeymoon phase with these things. Especially when the source is a Clip and you're essentially double amping it.

+1.

I think alot of people here misunderstood the nitpicking entirely. There is nothing commendable about coming in and saying 'yay you like the same headphone I like under $250'. You can modify the statement to make it more useful, but in its form it is purely a mob-mentality hype generator...and to make it worse, people are defending it.

I know people should be wise about what they read, but unfortunately that is very difficult without credentials being expressed. If you really want to make the statement valuable, interesting, and keep in socializing frame work you can do something like this:

"Congrats on the purchase, personally I enjoyed these the most out of <insert headphones you've tried in this price range, the list does not even have to be exhaustive it just have to provide sufficient point of reference.> ." It is almost the same statement, but it also helps us to get to know the user better (you know, there is a difference between my friend telling me that a beer is awesome and total stranger because I know what goes on in the head of my friend). On top of that we can deduce something from the statement - otherwise it is entirely empty and you might as well have ran into the room and screamed 'YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'.

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #40 of 83
Quote:

i doubt it./

Of course not!
Sound quality, build quality, ... don't scale equally to the price tag all the way to the sky.

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #41 of 83
Quote:

i doubt it./

Interesting. My experience with DT150 and I+ is very similar. I also doubt that something vastly more expensive can sound better (or at least much better.)

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #42 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. My experience with DT150 and I+ is very similar. I also doubt that something vastly more expensive can sound better (or at least much better.)

The I+ drives the dt150 well? I must admit I'm surprised. I'd thought they'd need a bit more juice. Not that the I+ isn't a great amp. It's quite wonderful, but I'd think it does a better job at driving low impedance phones. I would like to hear more about this from you
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #43 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No kidding..And comparing them to a $40K rig...
confused_face.gif
Really drives home the honeymoon phase comment. Heck I know of a $5K Martin Logan rig that will make blow away some pretty high end headphone rigs. Nevermind a Clip with a T-4.

Im not saying the OP isnt hearing an improvement (I personally cant stand the HD280..I gave them to my 17year old daughter) But It seems as if the gushing over the Ad700's may be a tad much. I'd love to see the OP's response to some K701's or HD600's or D5000's over a dedicated Rig with good amps and a proper source.

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #44 of 83
This is a valid thread for the OP. Don't poop on the party by opening your trench coat and whipping out the good stuff. Everyone learns as they grow and have an opportunity to hear better gear. When he hears better gear, he will come back and re-affirm that he's an idiot.
biggrin.gif
(OP, just using your title, don't take it direct)

I think we are all idiots when we start out. I'm still an idio. I'm trying to loose a letter at a time. If becoming an expert means owning all the gear at one time or another, there are few here.

I enjoy the excitement of anticipation and the joy of stepping up in scale each person gives us. Enjoy What?.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #45 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to see the OP's response to some K701's or HD600's or D5000's over a dedicated Rig with good amps and a proper source.

im sure things would (might) sound better, but after 35 years of loving music, being a musician and playing with many bands over the years, this rig

clip-t4-ad700

is astonishing for $300.00

synergy is also something i know to be important, maybe its just the synergy between these components?

its all been said,

there is better sound to be had, and diminishing returns.

if perfect sound is 100% id say i have 86% perfect for $300.00.

and im happy with that .....very happy.

for now.

i have spent time with several very well respected systems.

just dont have the desire to spend $3500.00 to get 11% improvement.

if i were rich maybe.

but im not.

but i do have great sound
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back