Oh where, oh where has my slim Arrow gone, oh where, oh where can it be?
Feb 5, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #61 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does everybody agree that the arrow doesn't work well w/ low impedance phones?

I forgot to mention I do own Koss portapros and although not IEMs the impedance is relatively low @ 60 ohms. The Arrow sounds just as good (on lower gain) as it does with my higher impedance cans . Synergy is always a factor and without having a separate amp for every headphone (as some seem to be able to afford) it's hard to have a perfect amp for every HP. IMO the Arrow strikes an exceptional balance. There are some who believe headphone amps to be superfluous with certain DAP/HP combinations but this is the first time I have heard anyone say a well designed headphone amp degrades the sound
confused_face.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #62 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It actually has three selections for each: from Headphonia.com Three Selectable Gain Settings (1.2dB, 10.5dB, 20.9dB)

The site information is a little confusing; on the Arrow 7C Features page, they say, "Two-Step Impedance Setting (10/70/120 ohm)";

On the Arrow 12HE manual page on the other hand (specs aren't on the main page like they are for the 7C), it says, "IMP - adjusts the output resistor to 20, 70 or 120 ohm, a higher resistor cuts off high frequencies, but the result depends on the impedance rating of your headphones - just use the value that you like most", but on the product page, it seems to say that the improvements are limited to extended battery life and the new Automatic Power Adjustment feature, and the higher 12v power now available.

So I think that Headstage may have made a mistake in the specs for the original Arrow 7C, when they said "Two-Step Impedance Setting (10/70/120 ohm)", when it is obviously a three-step impedance setting; please correct me if I am wrong because mine hasn't arrived yet and I am going by the website's info
confused_face.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #63 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I think that Headstage may have made a mistake in the specs for the original Arrow 7C, when they said "Two-Step Impedance Setting (10/70/120 ohm)", when it is obviously a three-step impedance setting; please correct me if I am wrong because mine hasn't arrived yet and I am going by the website's info
confused_face.gif

I think he simply means two steps for three positions. You need two steps to cover the three positions of the switch, so you have three settings for three impedances. Both amps have three impedance settings.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #64 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he simply means two steps for three positions. You need two steps to cover the three positions of the switch, so you have three settings for three impedances. Both amps have three impedance settings.

This is correct, it has three settings for both gain and impedance.
It might just be an oversight in the description or as was said above, two steps "cover" the three positions. Either way there are three "settings" for both gain and impedance. As with the Bass boost, there is flat (no boost) and then two more settings to adjust the amount of bass to your taste.
I believe the info on the site indicates that in the newest design there has been a small db increase in the amount of boost on the second setting. As mentioned, it is a very adaptable amp.

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #66 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would wonder why they put resistors on the output at all, why not leave the output impedance at as close to 0 ohms as possible to maximize the dampening factor.

It's a good question.
My best guess would be to tame any sibilance/harshness in the signal, but you could always email the manufacturer about his design implementation. I've left it on the lowest setting (so far) and don't seem to be missing any high end detail when I've compared it to other portables (even with the darker sounding Senns). Then again, I'm no expert.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #67 of 892
Quote:

I would wonder why they put resistors on the output at all, why not leave the output impedance at as close to 0 ohms as possible to maximize the dampening factor.

I have read that the way the resistors are wired can greatly affect the way signal quality is affected or not, don't know if it applies here.

But it may be because of limited attenuation on the rotary volume adjustment, ALPS or not.

Not sure what you mean by dampening factor; is this having to do with limiting things like harshness and sibilance?

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #68 of 892
I am seriously considering buying an Arrow 12E. Compared to other portable amps, the Arrow has a lot of settings. So far, I have not found any comments about how effective the bass boost and crossfeed are.

I am particularly interested in the bass boost. I listen to mostly rock music. I find that the majority of recordings made or remastered within the last 10 years have enough bass for me, however I have a lot of older recordings that are lacking. For those of you who have listened to the Arrow, is the bass boost good at compensating for that kind of thing without becoming boomy or distorting?

I am also curious about the crossfeed. I have never listened to an amp with that feature. Can anyone comment on how beneficial the crossfeed feature on the Arrow is? If you have one, do you use it or leave it off?

Thanks for any feedback.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #70 of 892
Quote:

well ,on the caffine ultra specs says - 22 ohm output resistors (to reduce sibilance when using lean headphones)

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #71 of 892
Quote:

For those of you who have listened to the Arrow, is the bass boost good at compensating for that kind of thing without becoming boomy or distorting?

Definitely

Quote:

I am also curious about the crossfeed. I have never listened to an amp with that feature. Can anyone comment on how beneficial the crossfeed feature on the Arrow is? If you have one, do you use it or leave it off?

It is fairly subtle (but noticeable) on the first setting. I tested it specifically with the older Beatles "stereo" recordings on the second setting and it made them much more listenable. I have heard other crossfeed enabled amps and always found it to be most beneficial on very hard panned L/R recordings. For me it depends on the recording, but is a nice feature to have available for those that need it. I also use it sometimes if I'm listening for longer periods of time, as it seems to reduce ear fatigue somewhat.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #74 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldaustin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hellenback - thank you very much for the information.

No problem....depending on your headphones you might not need the extra voltage capability of the HE version. The standard version puts out a steady 7.5 v.
Headphonia.com - Headstage Arrow 7C (Standard Version)
I bought the HE version as I use HD650s (I know, I know, your supposed to use a desktop with these cans to get the most out of them) but also use Koss portapros and plan on buying some decent IEMs. I wanted to "cover all the bases" so to speak.
Headphonia.com - Headstage Arrow 12HE (High Efficiency)

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #75 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sounds like a great value. Any comparisons of the Arrow vs. RSA amps of Pico amps?

Impressions vs. the Pico (post #41 in this thread) Anybody else have comparative impressions?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/w...ml#post6367133

Users who are viewing this thread

Back