Oh where, oh where has my slim Arrow gone, oh where, oh where can it be?
Feb 2, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #46 of 892
You think the amp will do my setup any good to? I currently use the following
Cowon S9
Sennheiser IE8
Twag with Viablue cable
The amp I have now is the Ibasso D2+

You think the headstage will be an upgrade?

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #48 of 892
I stand corrected. After my initial response I got to thinking I better be sure when making definite sounding statements. Upon further investigation I discovered that the Arrow uses an Alps analog volume control.

Link to my original (corrected) reply:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/w...ml#post6368082

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #50 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
digital volume controls can handle limited amount of voltage (7.5volt?) and arrow HE has 12v

Thank you for the information. I appreciate hearing from those who actually know about these things
redface.gif
Is this limitation something that will likely be overcome or is digital attenuation by nature unable to handle higher voltage?

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #51 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I stand corrected.
-snip-
Alps is one of the best when it comes to volume adjustment so I'm happy I double-checked.

Thanks for the update. I'm happy with that too, so happy I just ordered the older version! I have no need for the additional power of the new HE version for my IEMs, and the $50 trad-in seems to be a good deal as well. I am mailing them my (new) $22 Fiio E1 that didn't work out as an attenuator because it has an amp in it.

So I am happy with the deal; if I need a more powerful portable amp in the future I will look at one of the balanced ones that are in development now but really no need at this point.

I can't wait to hear this thing
biggrin.gif
!

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #52 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldaustin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone comment specifically on the effectiveness of the bass boost on the Arrow?

Yeas that would be nice, as well as some elaboration of specific "crossfeed" experiences with the Arrow as well.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #53 of 892
As a happy owner of the caffine ultra plus sflo2 ,is the arrow a big upgrade ? the reason i ask is that it uses the same op amp so im assuming it has roughly the same charactoristics ,or is it in a league above?

Feb 4, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #55 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrnoex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The arrow is a downgrade compared to sflo2's HO. Tried the combination with my JH11.

obviously wrong synergy among three fantastic products

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #57 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does everybody agree that the arrow doesn't work well w/ low impedance phones?

I don't understand this either, as it supposedly has a two-way impedance switch, and a three-way gain switch.

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #58 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrnoex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The arrow is a downgrade compared to sflo2's HO. Tried the combination with my JH11.

You make some pretty definite statements without so much as an IMO!
I don't have any IEMs but am going to buy some soon based on impressions from someone who tried the ARROW (flat settings; no gain adjust) with his JH13s and said he liked it very much, and heard it to have a wider soundstage than the Pico, which is my opinion as well. (He uses a HiFi-man for portable use with his JH13s so his need for any amp is questionable if anyone's is!)
I haven't heard your player, but if it has Wolfson DACs then the Arrow should sound great with it if you use the right settings.

Quote:

Does everybody agree that the arrow doesn't work well w/ low impedance phones?

Not at all. I tried it with many and varied headphones at the meet and found it to perform well with all of them. Obviously, the lowest gain is too low for HD650s, but it's a great match with low ohm cans. Much of the Arrow's strength lies in it's adaptability. If it's heard to be a "downgrade" to any DAP then IMO you don't know enough to select the right settings (or you've become very accustomed to the particular sound of your player). Personally, I'd stick with the impressions of people who own the ARROW.

Quote:

I don't understand this either, as it supposedly has a two-way impedance switch, and a three-way gain switch.

It actually has three selections for each: from Headphonia.com Three Selectable Gain Settings (1.2dB, 10.5dB, 20.9dB)
I am planning on buying some decent IEMs soon so will report back if/when I do (if anyone is interested).
In fact, I have been thinking of doing a review of several amp/headphone combinations in the near future, as things have come along way since the first portable round-up was started. I have gained a lot from head-fi and it has not been that hard on my wallet. I think there is room, and a need for reviews of some of the best values in headphone listening. There are lots of "no money limit" reviews but there are also many people wanting to have a great headphone listening experience without going broke or having to deal with buyer's remorse. I personally have heard components that IMO cost a fair bit less than the FOTM (or the prettiest gear) and make for an equally pleasurable listening experience. I am hoping a few friends will help me with their gear for this venture so I will be able to cover several combinations over not too long a period. I hope it pans out, as it could be (IMHO) a small contribution to a site that has brought me great gear, informative meets and and lasting friendships.

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #59 of 892
thx for your response, Hellenback... btw, i'm all up for your idea of doing multiple reviews and comparisons...

some people here have way too much money here, and thus can help the less fortunate ones by guiding them toward the best buy...

during semester break, i'll try to write reviews about all of my gear, especially the unknown stuff i have, so that others can profit...

while buying audio things, reviews have definitely been a great help, especially on this site...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back