Oh where, oh where has my slim Arrow gone, oh where, oh where can it be?
Feb 15, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #166 of 892
I have never heard the iBasso but have heard the RSA Hornet as I owned it. I can say with confidence this 12HE Arrow sounds as good if not better than the Hornet. I would go for the 12HE without question if I wanted power, pure sound quality and alot of functions like crossfeed, bass boost, impedance settings, gain. This amp is a do it all in my opinion and the build quality is exceptional. Just my opinion.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #167 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlinked /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That does change things, now I'm not sure the 12HE is worth $115 more than an iBasso T3d.

agreed. i feel this was a bad move by headphonia. a lot of people will be put off by the extra $50 the 12HE costs. if anything they should have dropped the price of the 12HE so they can still attract buyers at a lower price point.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #169 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed. i feel this was a bad move by headphonia. a lot of people will be put off by the extra $50 the 12HE costs. if anything they should have dropped the price of the 12HE so they can still attract buyers at a lower price point.

I've got to disagree. We can't accurately compare the products until someone's done a side-by-side. Robert's not obligated to drop his price. We're not talking about Microsoft with their up-against-comparable-products (Xbox vs. Playstation, etc.) competitive and adjustable price point models. Robert's got to make a living, and his products already seem well priced (assuming quality based on historical information). Ask him why the standard isn't available. Maybe he's just playing catchup.

Personally, I think the HE is worth it for the flexibility. I only had around $200 of fun money and scraped an extra $50 from my screwit Bucket to pony up for the HE. I only own IEMs right now, but I envision myself getting some over-the-ear in the future, both types of which benefit from the HE's adjustable voltage design, and will, ultimately, give me a higher return on investment.

Sorry for the rant.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #170 of 892
The price is what it is and seems reasonable enough to me so I bought the 12HE while waiting for the Pico Slim. Plus, turn in an amp and get a $50 discount. Win-win IMO!
Oh, and I have a USB-DAC-Cable on it's way also. I like the form factor, and the price again seems reasonable.

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #171 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For anyone out there with HD 600 or HD 650 cans let me tell you this little amp can really drive these cans. I am actually surprised at how well they do with the higher impedance cans. With the cans I have used, ATH ES7 and HD 650 the amp is absolutely silent between tracks at any volume level. I have not ever heard any hiss of course I do not use IEM so cannot attest to those. If you are on the fence about this amp don't be. This thing is a bargain at even more than the price IMO. Trapper32 you are gonna love it. Sorry about the KICAS but balanced kept calling so moved up to the ROC now I have to use the Arrow until it gets here but actually the Arrow makes it sound good so the pain will be less, LOL.

I'm glad someone else is as impressed as I am with this amp. I'm in a similar situation re: balanced/unbalanced desktop except I haven't taken the plunge yet. I can't get the sound of the 650s balanced out of my head & know l likely won't be getting the most from them unless I go that route. I've heard from someone I trust here that even the Little Dot balanced VII & DAC-1 is an improvement over some ≥ priced SE desktops. I'm happy they sound as good as they do for now.

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #173 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price is what it is and seems reasonable enough to me so I bought the 12HE while waiting for the Pico Slim. Plus, turn in an amp and get a $50 discount. Win-win IMO!
Oh, and I have a USB-DAC-Cable on it's way also. I like the form factor, and the price again seems reasonable.

Great minds think alike I suppose; I already have the new USB-DAC-Cable (not too shabby!), and I also ordered the Arrow while waiting for the Pico Slim (will it ever ship?). The only difference is that after reading these posts I decided to change my order and just caught Robert before he shipped my 7C version and I was able to upgrade to the 12HE version. I saw after I changed my order that the 7C version was dropped anyways; I don't know if I gave up the last one or not. I also traded in an amp as well, Kismet!

According to Robert, the 7C version was a cheaper version of the 12HE; I had assumed that the 12HE was the "new and improved" version, I was mistaken: "in the moment only the 12HE version is available. The amp was designed as the 12HE; the 7C was just a downgrade for a lower price"

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #175 of 892
Another head-fi member came by today to compare HD650s and hear the Arrow. He had a Tomahawk so I was able to compare the two amps. Using HD650s there was really no comparison, with the Arrow being much better at driving these cans. A cursory comparison with Sure SE530s and Westone(?) IEMS proved the Arrow easily as quiet as the Toma with IMO better soundstage and impact. I wish I had had time to do a more extensive comparison, but my visitor had to leave....(but not before saying he would be buying an Arrow).

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #176 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A cursory comparison with Sure SE530s and Westone(?) IEMS proved the Arrow easily as quiet as the Toma with IMO better soundstage and impact.

Very good to know on the IEM "quietness", Hellenback, thanks for the update
popcorn.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #177 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good to know on the IEM "quietness", Hellenback, thanks for the update
popcorn.gif

I neglected to mention he tried the new line DAC (Wolfson) with his set-up in place of his Alien DAC (2702 chip) and found it to be exceptionally good. (In fact I noticed once he started using it he didn't go back to the alien
wink.gif
)
I don't like naming people on the forum so have PMd him and asked for his own comments.

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #179 of 892
If the Arrow is as handily incredible as what seems in this thread, it will be a force to be reckoned with. As it is, I am mostly impressed the the relatively cheap T3D from iBasso, but if a similarly well-resolved amp, but with overall better control, and options really exists... headfi should be game.

I also look forward to hearing this badboy.

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #180 of 892
All I can add is that this has to be one of the "Bargains" out there in portable audio. I know for a fact that Robert has done alot of changing on this amp and made it the best he can produce for the money. The sound of this thing even with the cable DAC through the computer will blow you away for the price. Good job Robert and keep up the good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back