Oh Gosh...My Mom thinks Bose = Best; RANT
Dec 28, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #61 of 106
I think, just for the sake of argument here, I'll offer an opposing viewpoint.

I think that you are not just in HS to get an education and a springboard to college. You are there just as much for social development, as you are in college. Therefore, it is important to develop yourself as a person, not just a brain. You need the experience of high school to make you a stronger person. You need to build fundamental social skills, which you will hone further in college.

I know that HS is very hard for some people and certainly people do get picked on for basically no reason. However, I feel if you are getting picked on a lot, maybe you should also take a look at yourself and see if there is anything you are doing that is turning people off. You seem to have come to this thread with a slight air of superiority. You claim that is not your intention, but it still seems that way to readers. Maybe you really do not feel superior, but is it possible you come across that way to your peers in real life?

Again, this is just a balancing response to those who say "Screw the other kids, just wait it out and you'll get to college soon..." If you don't deal with engaging yourself in social interaction with your peers in HS you will be at a disadvantage in college. Sure, there are a lot of retards, jerks, bigots, etc. in high school. You don't have to, and shouldn't, like them, but the fact is there are going to be morons and @$$holes in college, at work, etc. and the sooner you learn how to deal with that the better.

In life you will have to learn to relate to people with widely varying levels of intelligence and widely varying interests. There is nothing wrong with your mother because she likes Bose and because she refuses to listen to you about audio gear.

Audio people love to hate Bose, but it's easy to forget that for the average person with a little money in their pocket who wants speakers or HT gear and doesn't want to do a whole bunch of research, Bose represents a level of quality above the mass-produced speakers with a reputable brand name. Do you pay a premium? Sure. Is it worth it? For them it is: they get peace of mind. Have you ever "overpaid" for a sweater because it says "J. Crew" or "Ralph Lauren" on it? I bet you have. You pay a lot for that sweater, even though you're not a textile expert, because those brands represent a level of quality. You can buy that $75 sweater and feel comfortable that the brand stands behind something of good quality. However, it might not be the best sweater you can get for $75.

Dec 28, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #62 of 106
honesty i remember very little about HS. but still remember alot from college on. so do what you like in HS, but the memories in college are the one's you'll want to keep -or ones you can't forget lol.

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #63 of 106
i have a friend who thinks bose also have the best audio equipment, and his older brother is a sound engineer
confused.gif

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #64 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Ah, and the, "I'm the smartest" pretension battles begin again on head-fi.

exactly what I thought of when I read this thread. Oh, 17 inches by the way.
rolleyes.gif

Reading a thread like this makes me cringe. Not only because of the viewpoints expressed, but also because I see shreds of myself at that age. Being a pretentious **** won't get you much respect.

Edit: Aman: have we met? What year are you?

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #65 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Actually, bullying is something that goes on in schools regardless of sex or sexual orientation. You were probably more of a target because of your anxiety than your sexual orientation. The bully gets off on the discomfort of the victim. Bullying is all about exerting power, so who ever seems weakest becomes the target. I do, however, think that some of the experiences you have described were a little too extreme. I don't know what the teachers were thinking about after that first experience when you were stripped, but if you didn't bring it to anyone's attention, you should have. Kids who do things like that become much worse as adults. If I found out that something like that had happened to my child, I would take it to the police and let them sort it out.

Oh I know that bullying goes on regardless. It doesn't matter what you are, they will find some reason to antagonize you. You could be the most perfect person on earth and they'd find a reason to insult you.

Didn't need to report what happened. My health and wellness teacher (who was also a major hottie XD) found me and pulled me inside the classroom where she put some clothes on me and gave me some hot cocoa to drink (it was wintertime). The kids involved were suspended, but that's it. I got mistreated, they got a week long free vacation, and nothing else happened to them.

The school didn't want to involve the police... and so the police were not involved. My parents were angry, not at the boys, but at me, for "telling people" that I was gay. So I got in trouble. Pretty lame, ne?

Dec 28, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #67 of 106
Back on topic, I think the Bose stuff sounds great...especially in automobile systems. I have a Bose surround system I bought in the mid-90's that is now stored in a closet, but it's still a great option anytime I want to change out my speakers.

I think for some reason, it's hip to dis Bose. I don't think it's hip, I believe it's just a bunch of lemmings jumping off a cliff together.

"Bose Sucks" ....wow...yeah dude...I'll jump if you will...

rolleyes.gif

Dec 29, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #68 of 106
Rick, my only experiences with bose was at the party I mentioned (and the music really was excruciatingly dull) and my husbands way overpriced quietcomfort 2 headphones (which completely distort the sound of the music). And We had a bose music system in one of our cars, and we were always trying to turn down the bass. We would not put another bose system into a car again!

Dec 30, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #70 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Rick, my only experiences with bose was at the party I mentioned (and the music really was excruciatingly dull) and my husbands way overpriced quietcomfort 2 headphones (which completely distort the sound of the music). And We had a bose music system in one of our cars, and we were always trying to turn down the bass. We would not put another bose system into a car again!

Its not like Bose sucks its just that there are better products out there for the same price. Like Nike stuff. Everyone wears it and its overpriced, but their products are still good. I think Bose sounds pretty good, but it isn't priced very well.

Dec 30, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #71 of 106
I have some experience with various brands of speakers, and I have two things to say on Bose: they don't deserve even half the hate they get, and you can do better in terms of sound and build quality for half to two thirds of the price.

Contradictory statements? Not really. Bose stuff isn't as awful as it's made out to be, but it IS generally overpriced, and in some cases of surprisingly low quality for the price. Granted, the speakers said to be better than Bose's ARE often significantly larger, but they still don't have to be two-hundred-pound loudspeakers. As for not deserving half the hate they get, I think a lot of the anger comes from the "you think you know, but you don't" sentiment (see also why Alienwares are so widely hated in many computer hardware forums) rather than that Bose products represent poor bang for the buck and not-so-great bang. Also, anything that widely marketed is guaranteed to generate spite if the product isn't up to par.

But this thread isn't about Bose, really. I just like to ramble. I'll go ahead and be the outlier here: I had a pretty good high school experience. I'm not sure if I did something right/wrong or if I just went to high school with unusually decent people, but I don't recall being bullied even once. Junior high / middle school wasn't quite the same way, but even that ended fairly early on (if in a way I still don't entirely approve of).

Dec 30, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #72 of 106
bose is generally overpriced for what it is. That said, bose was the first manufacturer to market very small, unobtrustive speakers that had halfway decent sound (when paired with a subwoofer). Decorators went gaga over them because they were so easy to hide (note, they came in white, all the better to blend into the room decor). They landed up being marketed to people who were more concerned about how the room looked than how the music sounded, and at the time, they were the closest thing to audiophile that didn't look like the speakers were skyscrapers. there is nothing hideously wrong with them except the price.

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #73 of 106
OFF Subject again
rolleyes.gif
. How big are the high schools you guys attended or attend? I live in rural Idaho, my town has a whole 513 people. My school has like 250 students, K-12. My home town is Mormon and all my friends are non mormons and there is like 10 of us nonmormons in the school. (I am not saying that Mormons are bad people, but here its like "you dont go to church (mormon church) we wont talk to you." ) Religion plays a big role in my school.

Back on subject, Bose blows the big fury one.
eggosmile.gif

Dec 30, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #75 of 106
it's funny, you think you're a prodigy, and then you go to college and you're middle-of-the-road, because everyone else has the same prodigious background that you do. enjoy it while it lasts, kids.

(im only saying that cuz now i feel as dumb as rocks
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back