Oh Gosh...My Mom thinks Bose = Best; RANT
Dec 24, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #16 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
She then says, "Bose is good, millions of people are buying Bose, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't good". And here I thought she knew more about marketing than my classmates.

Remind your Mom that Billions of people also buy McDonalds hamburgers.
They sell a lot, but is it the best burger you've ever had?
Far from it.
icon10.gif

Dec 24, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #17 of 106
Hehe I think us Head-fiers are a generally intellectual bunch. As I see it, it is our destiny to become members of these forums. One of the first telltale signs that you are to be a future member is your apparent lack of "normalness" (whatever that is supposed to mean.
rolleyes.gif
) You may be segregated from your fellow peer groups because they fail to grasp your knowledge and understanding of such things deemed "audiophile". Anyway my point is, your discovery of Head-fi is NOT serendipity.

...hehe I love threads like this!
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #18 of 106
actually, who knows - 450 actually might be the smartest in his class at least in terms of tech savvy. who says that's pretentious? well, if he's putting on airs that could be the case, even if it's true that he's wiser. hold on, a wise man wouldn't put on airs. ugh im tired.

Dec 24, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #20 of 106
"Putting on airs" suggests that the person is not actually competent. Modesty suggests the opposite. They're totally unrelated.

Dec 24, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #21 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
"Putting on airs" suggests that the person is not actually competent. Modesty suggests the opposite. They're totally unrelated.

Are you doubting that he is 14 or that he is smart?

Why is everyone so keen on discrediting people? So what if they have an alternate personality here? How does that affect us?

confused.gif

Dec 24, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #22 of 106
The way I speak here is how I normally speak in the "real world". My personality isn't really that different from here to school to at home.

By the way, I'm not THAT tech savvy. EXAMPLE: When 3 or 4 of the clueless popular kids in our class bought Palm and Pocket PC devices, I stayed out of the trend (trust me, at our school, if one influential person buys something, its a trend). They dumped the handheld devices in less than 1 year. Then one of them wanted to sell me the now unused Tungsten E for near new price (about 125 USD)! The only real techie thing I have is a Kingston 1.1 USB 128MB flash drive from last year, and I actually use it on a regular basis for schoolwork (hey, 128 is nothing when you have high-rez photos and MP3's in an OpenOffice presentation). When it somes to tech, I'm one of the most modest (alot of people have mini ipods, which for our age I think is a stupidity. I mean for 30 bucks more you get 16 more gigs... My classmates fail to see the economic aspect. But then again, they only have 20 songs on it).

I don't waltz around saying I'm smart. I get mad because people assume I'm smart from whatever and then start making unreal expectations for me. I'm also the most unrespected person in the class. I'm like a novelty item from them. They taunt me all the time. I was nominated 2nd for Homecoming (as an insult, although the freshman class will beg to differ), AND most attractive (also as an insult). I just hate being the hated one. The 10-12 graders repect me more!

Dec 24, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #23 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
I LOATHE being the intellectual at our school. Example: I have been talking about the upcoming stuff (DS, PSP) for a while now. Whatever they're drooling about now, I've been looking at for a year or two (in the most extreme cases). My philosopical and analitcal nature really hurts me sometimes. I try to look at things in a different and inventive way...and I get ridiculed for that. Makes me wonder why I even come in 50 feet of these cretins.

I write with a lot of vocabulary words in my reports and things, and I also write with detail. Some kids usually end up getting a hold of my paper and then laughing at it for the rest of the week (they thought motif was motive, etc.). I'm small, timid, and very respectful of others. I don't like to fight back when not needed.

I detest my 9th grade class...

I'm a sophmore in high school and that quote pretty much describes me. Most people ridicule me for "building my own computer" (I think they think I'm joking, though if I were I'd be posting this with a PII-266 and not my AthlonXP 2500+), and it didn't help that I built my first computer in 7th grade. I consistantly score high on almost everything and can do math problems in my head (without even pencil and paper) that even my math teachers need a calculator for (though I rarely do those without my caclucualtor, which I've programed to solve the majority of for me... hey I may be smart but I'm also lazy
tongue.gif
).

At least my parents can see past the Bose marketing, know lossy audio compression is... lossy, CDs are digital (my father was a big supporter of CDs when they first came out, and had to explain them to a lot of people back in the early 80's), and that vinyl can sound better.

Dec 24, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #24 of 106
yeah... haha i guess im in the same situation as a lot of other kids around here. I am a senior in highschool, but i'm only 15. however fortunately, i think i have a fair amount of respect due to the fact that i am decently fit and that i have a good future, compared to a large majority of other stoners at my school. originally, i was disregarded as anti-social, because i guess i intimidated other people in the same grade. now that i have a blog and constantly go emo in it i think more kids dont see me as an arrogant rich smart kid, but rather as a normal kid who has a lot of choices to make.

Dec 24, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #25 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpburton5150
yeah... haha i guess im in the same situation as a lot of other kids around here. I am a senior in highschool, but i'm only 15. however fortunately, i think i have a fair amount of respect due to the fact that i am decently fit and that i have a good future, compared to a large majority of other stoners at my school. originally, i was disregarded as anti-social, because i guess i intimidated other people in the same grade. now that i have a blog and constantly go emo in it i think more kids dont see me as an arrogant rich smart kid, but rather as a normal kid who has a lot of choices to make.

You are lucky...If only I had more mature classmates...

1) I'd have been less depressed in Middle School
2) I'd be happier

That's an amazing accomplishment - 12th grade and only 15 - ! Congratulations!

Dec 24, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #26 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Makes me wonder why I even come in 50 feet of these cretins.

Comments like this are what seperates a 14yr old intellectual from a 25yr old intellectual.
smily_headphones1.gif

PS. I dont hold it against you though, I was the same way when I was in early high school. Things really turn around after you get a few of those huge ups and downs that are coming up in the next few years. Once you get screwed over by your friends, develop and get over a drug problem and get laid a bunch of times you should come back and read your post. It will be an eye opener.
tongue.gif

Dec 24, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #27 of 106
Here is one of the papers I found on my flash drive. This is one of the papers which I got taunted for...

I recieved a 98% on the report; I missed 2% due to sentence stucture.

Crime and Punishment was written by Feodor Dostoevsky and first published in book form around 1867. There is no single theme to this story, as this story has has a variety of themes composed from Dostoevsky's many experiences. The themes that were most prominent were his idea of society, religion, psychology, and family values (in no particular order). The motif throughout in this story is poverty. One term keeps popping up regarding this book: nihilism. Nihilism: Hopeless thoughts, usually negative. Example (not from book): I'm going to die soon, so why not die now.

Dostoevsky mostly set the book in St.(Saint) Petersburg, Russia. Although for a considerable amount of time the book was set in a prison in Siberia. I felt the setting wasn't truly relevant in the story (meaning: if the story was set somewhere else (city, country), the majority would remain intact; the only thing that could not be changed is the fact that he and others around him reside in poverty and the timeframe). Some cultural aspects may only be applicable to Russia, but nothing truly significant was apparent. Note that I read the translated version, which may have compromised the actual presentation. One area (there are more) where I felt it was meaningful, is on page 32, second paragraph, 12th line (in my version of the book): “For various reasons he wants the wedding to take place very soon, even before the next fast, if possible, and if the time is too short, then immediately after the Assumption.” This is one of the few places I found the setting to be of actual use. The Assumption is one of four Russian Orthodox fasts.

Society and how it operates is a big component of the story. Psychology was integrated into the previous concept (society's operation). When you do something, a consequence will follow. That concept seemed to follow around the whole book, whether it was direct or indirect. This is a very powerful tool he utilized with great skill. Dostoevsky captured human emotion and behavior very well. This is evident when Raskolnikov (main character, the main protagonist) is being psychologically tested by Porfiry (side character, side antagonist). The reactions of both seem so actual and detailed it almost as if I was there witnessing all of it (but in words!).

Family/ social values are scattered around here and there. Nothing really specific, but the book carries out the importance of family sticking together through rough times. Heres an example, Raskolnikov's family and close friends supported him until they could not support anymore (death or other prevalent matter(s)).

The evolution of the characters from my views didn't change that much. They didn't become stronger/ weaker they just stayed the same. The reason for this is because everything did not have a direct cause and effect. The only character I found with drastic changes was Raskolnikovs's. He went from what seemed to be an elitist, to some shady, guilt filled person who indulged himself in nihilist ideas. Here's example from my book in page 51 3rd paragraph 1st line: “'God!' he exclaimed, 'is it possible, is it possible, that I really shall take an axe and strike her on the head, smash open her skull... that my feet will slip in warm, sticky blood, and that I shall break the lock, and steal, and tremble, and hide, all covered in blood... with the axe... God is it possible?'”

I found this book an amazing piece of literature that stood the test of time (although nothing like Homer's works). Like most great works of Russian literature, Crime and Punishment detailed and descriptive giving the reader a great sense of the surroundings. Many may find the book a bit slow paced because of the detail, and I'll admit, at times it was quite slow. But you trade fast pace for excellent articulation. This book implements Dostoevsky's ideas on society, religion, psychology, and family values mixed together to create the excellent blend of which is this book.

Dec 24, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #28 of 106
you made my brain hurt. man, i forgot what a real education forces you to write. look at me - i don't even use capital letters!

Dec 24, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #29 of 106
Wow! It is great knowing that there are kids out there so bright and savvy. Just ignore the rest of your class. when they are all in low level jobs earning nothing, you will be zooming around in a great car with all the girls drooling.
wink.gif

Now, here is my worst party nightmare ever (too bad it is true) Yanni on the Bose system. We went to a dinner party, and the host's brother-in-law had the Bose distributorship in California (or something like that) so they had all Bose equipment! And ofcourse, Mrs. loves all those cool sounding notes that Yanni produces. (I think she said something about how he could invent "musical notes" that nobody else had ever "heard."
rolleyes.gif
) I hope, with every fiber in my body, that at least Yanni wont start messing with Christmas Carols and Chanukah songs; that would just be too much.

Dec 24, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #30 of 106
When I was in high school I had the oportunity to move up to all college-level classes in freshman year and then be able to graduate a full 4-year education in only two years with full honors and credits. I was a straight A+ student.

I refused, because I felt it would hurt social life and get rid of all my friends!
rolleyes.gif
I hate to brag, but I was pretty popular in high school. I had the characteristics needed: In good shape, attractive, intelligent, dressed "correctly", had a beautiful and good-looking girlfriend for most of the four years, I played a lot of sports and was even captain of my tennis team, and I was outgoing. I also had IQs twice that of my friends, and I was the only one that could build a computer and tell the difference between a 50 dollar speaker and a 500 dollar speaker. But because of my social status it was just a joke to most of my friends. "Oh my god! You're such a nerd! <laugh>" was the response. I was hardly bullied.

I am in MIT now, but I almost didn't get accepted because they claimed "I didn't take opportunities when they were presented in front of me." I really wish I had taken the college-level method. I think I would be in a better place had I done that. Sure, MIT is GREAT, don't get me wrong - but I could be in Harvard, Yale - I could have my own company. Who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back