Oh Gosh...My Mom thinks Bose = Best; RANT
Dec 24, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #32 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
When I was in high school I had the oportunity to move up to all college-level classes in freshman year and then be able to graduate a full 4-year education in only two years with full honors and credits. I was a straight A+ student.

I refused, because I felt it would hurt social life and get rid of all my friends!
rolleyes.gif
I hate to brag, but I was pretty popular in high school. I had the characteristics needed: In good shape, attractive, intelligent, dressed "correctly", had a beautiful and good-looking girlfriend for most of the four years, I played a lot of sports and was even captain of my tennis team, and I was outgoing. I also had IQs twice that of my friends, and I was the only one that could build a computer and tell the difference between a 50 dollar speaker and a 500 dollar speaker. But because of my social status it was just a joke to most of my friends. "Oh my god! You're such a nerd! <laugh>" was the response. I was hardly bullied.

I am in MIT now, but I almost didn't get accepted because they claimed "I didn't take opportunities when they were presented in front of me." I really wish I had taken the college-level method. I think I would be in a better place had I done that. Sure, MIT is GREAT, don't get me wrong - but I could be in Harvard, Yale - I could have my own company. Who knows.

when you are a bit older, you'll hold two things in your hands - your degree in one, your childhood in the other. yeah, a degree from the right place with the right grades will get you far. and MIT is no slouch - you wont find too many door closed to you with an MIT degree.

but you got the best of both worlds. you had a life in your formative years. and you still are going to get a killer degree. so no worries.

Dec 24, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #33 of 106
I also used to think that Bose is all marketing and no substance, but a recent Popular Science article made me doubt that a little. This article presents Bose, the creator of Bose, as an innovator and inventor. It's actually about a automotive suspension system that his laboratory developped. This was weird because serious inventors and researchers wouldn't really betray their principles and market unsubstantial claims, or at least I hope. So what is the deal with Bose, the person? Is he really an innovator or have Popular Science fallen under his marketing schemes as well?

Dec 24, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #34 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltawalkerl
I also used to think that Bose is all marketing and no substance, but a recent Popular Science article made me doubt that a little. This article presents Bose, the creator of Bose, as an innovator and inventor. It's actually about a automotive suspension system that his laboratory developped. This was weird because serious inventors and researchers wouldn't really betray their principles and market unsubstantial claims, or at least I hope. So what is the deal with Bose, the person? Is he really an innovator or have Popular Science fallen under his marketing schemes as well?

I don't doubt that he has done some inovation, stuff like the Bose 901s are definetly different from most other speakers, however, probably like most people here what gets me frustrated is when people call them "the best". I think i would feel the same if any mid-fi comany was called the best.

Dec 24, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #35 of 106
i am in 10th grade right now and i was pretty geeky in middle school. i didnt have too many friends. when i started high school, i had to make a decision, friends and social life or school. i do pretty good in school, i am not an A student but around B, B+. and i have friends that have my back when i need it. when i talk online, i just type fast and dont really care about spelling. my advice to you is just to be more outgoing and try to make some good friends. to get respect, you need to earn it. i learned that instead of being a you-know-what when someone bullies you, stand up for yourself. if you get your ass kicked, you'll live. it will give you motivation to go to gym and work out so next time you can kick bullie's ass.

Dec 24, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #36 of 106
Since the thread is hijacked already, I'll contribute
wink.gif
As a freshman in college (CMU), I can look back at high school and say that you really shouldn't worry about what people think. Once you're out, all that is out of the window. People will respect you for the person you are, and there are no more cliques or standards. Sure, that's not saying you should be a recluse and study 24/7. Have fun while you can, party a bit, and enjoy yourself. Isn't that what life is about? I'm probably just babbling on and on about nothing, living alone for the first time does that to you. But that's really the biggest difference I've noticed, people do things for themselves, and not to be cool or fit in. It really stops mattering once the college envelopes, thick or thin, are back. Everyone has their priorities, and in my mind, you have yours in the right place. Just don't be too critical of everyone else, believe me, they'll change.

Dec 24, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #37 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
“I LOATHE being the intellectual at our school.”

Your initial post sounds rather pompous so I can understand why your mom doesn’t take you seriously.

Mitch

No, she takes me seriously. My initial aproach as you stated is kinda elitist (which wasn't my original intention). By intellectual I meant that unlike others who will only stick to one concept and take to that religiously (huge majority of the my freshmen class at times) I actually try to view things in another way.

Its not that I care too much about what people think/say about me. Its that they react to me in a very strong way. There's a group of 10-250+ people that usually try to bring me down. I'm always the one made to suffer. All the really bad rumours, actions, and pranks toward others in my school combined is almost the amount of torture I faced. I'm THAT unrespected at times. I'm ALWAYS the one to be pushed out... Sometimes the one to get racial comments. I'm the magnet - I attract hate. Somehow though, the other classes 10-12 actually like me almost... People are mysterious...

Dec 25, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #39 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Being a smart kid sucks. I was in one of those crappy elementary school "prodigy in training" type classes, cause I scored high on the yearly standardized test. (I didn't tell my parents, didn't want to get their hopes up for me) The other kids were snobby a-holes, who came from "good" families. I got kicked out cause I stopped showing up and didn't "fit in", screw them I say. I stopped being the smart kid in later years, and made a lot more friends and got more respect. Wierd s**t, ain't it?

I went to one of those schools when I was twelve years old, but I was tossed out for "throwing a tantrum in class." Actually, I had a panic attack (I've got anxiety disorder, btw). They couldn't figure that out.
rolleyes.gif

Remembering the other kids in the class is difficult as it was many years ago... but I do vaguely remember the children all being well-dressed, annoying and whiny. If they didn't get what they wanted, their parents would be chewing out the teacher after class. I felt sorry for my teacher. -.-'

Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
(alot of people have mini ipods, which for our age I think is a stupidity. I mean for 30 bucks more you get 16 more gigs... My classmates fail to see the economic aspect. But then again, they only have 20 songs on it).

Not to be a mean girl and thread jack or anything, but hey. =P I resemble that remark!

Lots of people here and otherwise have given me crap about buying the iPod Mini locally when, for 30 bucks more I could've gotten a 20gb model. I wanted the Mini because a) the smaller form factor b) the metal housing c) it's really, really cute.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #40 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Not to be a mean girl and thread jack or anything, but hey. =P I resemble that remark!

Lots of people here and otherwise have given me crap about buying the iPod Mini locally when, for 30 bucks more I could've gotten a 20gb model. I wanted the Mini because a) the smaller form factor b) the metal housing c) it's really, really cute.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Its just an example of some of my peers' attitude in audio form.

Dec 25, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #41 of 106
The fact that you assume that people are born with innate knowledge of what products are good and bad scares me.

That's how materialistic our society has become. Now, I like my toys and audio gear as much as the next bloke. But people aren't born with the knowledge. And they are not inferior because they don't know about it. They were fooled by marketing and brand recongition. Big deal.

People drive in cars, or deal with vehicles every day. Do you know everything about cars? Is it fair to me to call you a MORON because you can't rebuild your engine?

Just because you've done the research doesn't make you superior than your family or peers. Your audio reproduction might be superior, but they aren't morons for not studying every detail of the audio world. Maybe they just aren't into it. If they were into music and audio, then they'd be eager to learn. If not, who cares, you know the difference.

What is silly, however, is when people feign expertise on the subject. When corrected by someone who has more knowledge on the subject, they still afirm they are right. But it doesn't really bug me. They've been corrected. Whenever I'm in the opposite end, I always make it a point to learn. If they choose not to learn, that's their problem, not mine. Why you choose to make it yours, baffles me.

If your mom thinks Bose is the best, correct her. If she doesn't want to be corrected, she's got bigger problems than liking inferior over-priced audio gear.

I think the attitude of the pretentious gear-geek is much much worse than the minor ignorance of the people who don't know which products to buy.

Dec 25, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #42 of 106
i think it's all about your attitude man... i mean... face it some people are not as smart as you. in a sad way, life resembles donalds rumsfields quote "you've got to go to war with the army you have, not the army you want." (and im not supporting donald in any way, btw). they can't help it, i'm sure they are intimidated as hell by you. if you aren't always like "well after extensive research i have found the most effective solution to be..." they won't always feel so intimidated, as if you are trying to make them feel stupid. let people make their decisions, if they bring it up themselves then sure, go all out... but realize that everything is subjective, just be like "i personally think that bose sucks, and actually there is evidence to back it up with...i think you should consider some other speakers as well, and if you end up still liking bose, then go ahead and buy bose"

and realize that you can still carry on interesting conversations with people at low maturity levels... just dont talk about phones, ask them about themselves, make themselves feel valuable (male or female)

oh boy, i just love philosophical discussions
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #43 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
No, she takes me seriously. My initial aproach as you stated is kinda elitist (which wasn't my original intention). By intellectual I meant that unlike others who will only stick to one concept and take to that religiously (huge majority of the my freshmen class at times) I actually try to view things in another way.

Its not that I care too much about what people think/say about me. Its that they react to me in a very strong way. There's a group of 10-250+ people that usually try to bring me down. I'm always the one made to suffer. All the really bad rumours, actions, and pranks toward others in my school combined is almost the amount of torture I faced. I'm THAT unrespected at times. I'm ALWAYS the one to be pushed out... Sometimes the one to get racial comments. I'm the magnet - I attract hate. Somehow though, the other classes 10-12 actually like me almost... People are mysterious...

Gee, I can't imagine why. You seem materialistic and have an air of "I'm superior because I know about trivial things that aren't even important to my survival or success" quality to you.

No offense. I realize your 14, and god knows I was probably MUCH worse at your age. I'm just saying, you have some growing up to do. You seem like a smart fellow, so you're already ahead of the game. Just relax bro, and be yourself.

You are not your khakis. You are not a snowflake. And you are most definitely not your headphones.

Dec 25, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #44 of 106
i agree with you TWIFOSP. i know i am only a year older than 450, but man stop whining about how hard it is to grow up with people who dont get you. you just need to relax and be yourself

PS sorry if i sound like a jerk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back