Quote:

Originally Posted by null
Oh brother.
rolleyes.gif

My thoughts exactly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #47 of 106
NOT TRYING TO INITIATE A FLAME WAR

I think I gave off an aure that I was being REALLY serious about all of this stuff. I'm not.

--------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
The fact that you assume that people are born with innate knowledge of what products are good and bad scares me.

I think I've given a sense to everyone here that I:

a) assume everyone knows everything about different subjects
b) assume superiority
c) assume marketing is all evil
d) hate freshman class because the fell under the spell of good marketing

All of which I dont think I do.

I think I should explain myself to avoid misunderstandings...

Quote:

That's how materialistic our society has become. Now, I like my toys and audio gear as much as the next bloke. But people aren't born with the knowledge. And they are not inferior because they don't know about it. They were fooled by marketing and brand recongition. Big deal.

I guess I should've created two threads: Bose AND Rant. The two topics weren't initially intended to be so blended. I acknowledge sentences 3 & 4.

This is why I REALLY SHOULD HAVE MADE TWO THREADS...The first part was really going to be about how market affects people (including me (for those who believe that I think of myself oblivious to such things))

Quote:

Just because you've done the research doesn't make you superior than your family or peers. Your audio reproduction might be superior, but they aren't morons for not studying every detail of the audio world. Maybe they just aren't into it. If they were into music and audio, then they'd be eager to learn. If not, who cares, you know the difference.

Agreed.

Quote:

What is silly, however, is when people feign expertise on the subject. When corrected by someone who has more knowledge on the subject, they still afirm they are right. But it doesn't really bug me. They've been corrected. Whenever I'm in the opposite end, I always make it a point to learn. If they choose not to learn, that's their problem, not mine. Why you choose to make it yours, baffles me.

I really gotta learn to be more descriptive in my posts...EX: The Infinity audio thing was a discussion with him (I'm friends w/him BTW). I think I gave another false aura that I dislike/hate people for what they know/don't know. Which I don't do.

I don't go around school proclaiming superiority and higher intellect (neither of which I posess). I just talk to a lot of people on differnent things. I just included the audio ones. There are more though.

Quote:

If your mom thinks Bose is the best, correct her. If she doesn't want to be corrected, she's got bigger problems than liking inferior over-priced audio gear.

We were just talking...

BTW: I don't "hate" for any reasons related to audio, marketing, or anything similar. I don't like them because they abuse me constantly. Physical and mental torture. I always am the one to be excluded, insulted, and hated. No, its not because what you here believed me to be (a pompous jerk). Many have said its because "I'm the little indian boy" (Im bengali). I've heard it many times. I've even sometimes considered a novelty item, and things that don't merit any respect.

I think the "RANT" was a bit too RANT-ie... I was just typing random thoughts... Like I said before, the two concept weren't intially meant to be integrated like this.

I was just trying to redeem myself here, and am fully prepared to believe that it may or may not have satisfied you.

Dec 25, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #48 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I might end up working for BOSE so i'll just keep my mouth shut
tongue.gif

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."
-Yoda-

Dec 25, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #49 of 106
Don't worry about being popular, don't just find friends, find a bestfriend indeed. I'm introvert kind of guy, I don't have many friends but I know that the friends I have right now are willing to go above and beyond for me. I'll do the same for them.

Dec 25, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #50 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
BTW: I don't "hate" for any reasons related to audio, marketing, or anything similar. I don't like them because they abuse me constantly. Physical and mental torture. I always am the one to be excluded, insulted, and hated. No, its not because what you here believed me to be (a pompous jerk). Many have said its because "I'm the little indian boy" (Im bengali). I've heard it many times. I've even sometimes considered a novelty item, and things that don't merit any respect.

I'm going to ignore a lot of the previous chunk of posts and not say anything, because I think their point has already been hammered in. So, I'm going to try to say something slightly different.

I've had experiences like yours, so I'm sympathetic. However, my experiences are obviously different since a) I'm a girl, b) I'm older than you, and c) lots of other factors. But the core experience is the same: frustration which stems from being an "intellectual" (by teenage terms, which is quite different from adult terms). It's an almost universal feeling that can be found in high schools everywhere. I remember that I felt like this freshman year, and I still feel like this to some extent. It's decreased in intensity. For reasons stated before, I can't give you any advice on what to do since although it's a common feeling, the differences in each situation requires an action tailored to that situation. I haven't seen you in the hallways so I don't know what I'd say. All I can say is that patience is good.

High school classmates who seem like idiotic jerks at first glance aren't always that way. But some are.

Now I'm wondering if I realy said anything at all in that post....I mean no harm, but overall, realize that this is something that many people go through. I'm not saying that you've overlooked that, but you're not so alone..

Dec 25, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #51 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
I'm not saying that you've overlooked that, but you're not so alone..

I'm the only one in that cluster of 400 students that gets such a hard time. That's what I'm mainly frustrated about. It's just painful to be the only one in that group to suffer.

Dec 25, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #52 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
I'm the only one in that cluster of 400 students that gets such a hard time. That's what I'm mainly frustrated about. It's just painful to be the only one in that group to suffer.

i somehow seriously doubt this is true... unless you know all 400 kids, and i can gauruntee (sp?) you that you're not the only one who's having problems... hell you're smart, you have a future ahead (dont ever rub that in though), look on the bright side, by the time you are thirty you'll have all the headphones you want with the money you could earn....

Dec 25, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #53 of 106
I'm going to share a little secret with you. In 10 years, you will not give a flying **** about your high school experience. In fact, you probably won't remember much about it unless you think real hard. High school is the beginning of the end of your childhood, or the transition to the beginning of the rest of your life, whichever way you want to see it. Once you head off to college or university, you really are leaving it all behind and starting a new life.

High school is not your life, you will not have to deal with the twerps for more than a couple years, some of them will flunk out and the rest you'll never see again once you finish high school. You're in high school to get good grades so you can get into a good college/university and start a good career, being Mr. Popular is nice but not required, college admissions doesn't know or care about how "cool" you were in school.

High school sucks, well, suck it up like a man & learn what you can 'cause you ain't there for that long and when you're done you start off with a clean slate. High school ran for 5 years when I was in the system, the first 3 years sucked @ss and the last 2 merely sucked. I could count my friends on one hand and everyone else either hated me & made my life hell or didn't give a flying **** about me. Got out of that hellhole, went off to university and had more fun and got more chicks than I could imagine, it's a whole different world out there.

Dec 25, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #54 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
I've had experiences like yours, so I'm sympathetic. However, my experiences are obviously different since a) I'm a girl, b) I'm older than you, and c) lots of other factors. But the core experience is the same: frustration which stems from being an "intellectual" (by teenage terms, which is quite different from adult terms). It's an almost universal feeling that can be found in high schools everywhere.

I think everyone who is more than slightly different from the established norm within high school has felt this way before. I've had similar experiences as well, where large numbers of people (I wouldn't say more than 20; most of the students I did not know or interact with) felt it to be their personal mission to make me miserable. Like you said, though, it's different from 450's situation. I'm also a girl and the girl version of harrassment in high school can be much more injurious than the typical "fag" comments as offered by most boys to other boys. I remember what people used to say to my friends. =P

Not to mention that I'm gay. It was difficult to make friends with other girls in high school because they thought I would come onto them, i.e. that the only reason I'd ever be interested in talking to a girl is because I'd want to sleep with her. (Obviously this isn't true, btw. =P )

Other reasons that made me a popular target for some in high school included my anxiety disorder and my tendency to cry with the slightest provocation, the fact that I always had a nose stuck in my book, the clothes I wore (cute but plain skirts, stockings, blouses and shirts, not the cropped midriff shirts and hot pants) the colors of the clothes I wore (pink), the fact that I like Japanese music, the TV shows I watched... I could go on and on.

The bottom line is that chilren are cruel and they will look for, and find, any reason whatsoever to insult you for. It's a defense mechanism to help hide their own insecurities. Demeaning you for whatever reason makes them feel less small.

It happens to everyone, really. I was just unlucky in the fact that I am considerably (and I think interestingly) different from the established norm and became a popular target. >.>;

Quote:

Originally Posted by 450

You aren't. Trust me, you are not the only one who is being given hell. There really is no one in high school who isn't the target of some type of insult, innuendo, smear tactic or other form of social assassination. Even the most popular, especially the most popular, trade insults with each other.

You're not the only one who suffers. I suffered in ways you probably never have, but I survived. In ninth grade four sophomore boys beat me unconscious, stripped me down to my panties, wrote obscene things on my body with a Sharpie and left me in the center courtyard right before lunch. Oh, and threw my clothes in the pool. A few months later at a school dance, one of the other girls tossed a cup of neon green fabric dye on my favorite pink dress because I made the mistake of thinking she might also like girls and asked her out a few days before.

Probably every single person on this forum suffered the annoyance of being taunted in high school. It's part of high school.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
High school sucks...

Word.

Dec 28, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #55 of 106
Well I went to a predominately asian school where most of the students saw education as an important thing so geekiness was something people looked up to.
Although I was still a prime target of bullies from people spreading rumors and my naturally small size. But don't lose hope, once I reached my junior year, everyone changed and began respecting each other. Bullies became friends.
It's just a few more years. Don't let the bullies hold you back.

Dec 28, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #56 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I think everyone who is more than slightly different from the established norm within high school has felt this way before. I've had similar experiences as well, where large numbers of people (I wouldn't say more than 20; most of the students I did not know or interact with) felt it to be their personal mission to make me miserable. Like you said, though, it's different from 450's situation. I'm also a girl and the girl version of harrassment in high school can be much more injurious than the typical "fag" comments as offered by most boys to other boys. I remember what people used to say to my friends. =P

Not to mention that I'm gay. It was difficult to make friends with other girls in high school because they thought I would come onto them, i.e. that the only reason I'd ever be interested in talking to a girl is because I'd want to sleep with her. (Obviously this isn't true, btw. =P )

Other reasons that made me a popular target for some in high school included my anxiety disorder and my tendency to cry with the slightest provocation, the fact that I always had a nose stuck in my book, the clothes I wore (cute but plain skirts, stockings, blouses and shirts, not the cropped midriff shirts and hot pants) the colors of the clothes I wore (pink), the fact that I like Japanese music, the TV shows I watched... I could go on and on.

The bottom line is that chilren are cruel and they will look for, and find, any reason whatsoever to insult you for. It's a defense mechanism to help hide their own insecurities. Demeaning you for whatever reason makes them feel less small.

It happens to everyone, really. I was just unlucky in the fact that I am considerably (and I think interestingly) different from the established norm and became a popular target. >.>;

You aren't. Trust me, you are not the only one who is being given hell. There really is no one in high school who isn't the target of some type of insult, innuendo, smear tactic or other form of social assassination. Even the most popular, especially the most popular, trade insults with each other.

You're not the only one who suffers. I suffered in ways you probably never have, but I survived. In ninth grade four sophomore boys beat me unconscious, stripped me down to my panties, wrote obscene things on my body with a Sharpie and left me in the center courtyard right before lunch. Oh, and threw my clothes in the pool. A few months later at a school dance, one of the other girls tossed a cup of neon green fabric dye on my favorite pink dress because I made the mistake of thinking she might also like girls and asked her out a few days before.

Probably every single person on this forum suffered the annoyance of being taunted in high school. It's part of high school.

Word.

Actually, bullying is something that goes on in schools regardless of sex or sexual orientation. You were probably more of a target because of your anxiety than your sexual orientation. The bully gets off on the discomfort of the victim. Bullying is all about exerting power, so who ever seems weakest becomes the target. I do, however, think that some of the experiences you have described were a little too extreme. I don't know what the teachers were thinking about after that first experience when you were stripped, but if you didn't bring it to anyone's attention, you should have. Kids who do things like that become much worse as adults. If I found out that something like that had happened to my child, I would take it to the police and let them sort it out.

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #58 of 106
I'm in a somewhat similar situation (graduating after my junior year, not that much of a social life), and I've held onto one fact: high school is hell. It's just a swarm of immature people who're going crazy hormonally and are frustrated with what's going on in their own heads. I take comfort in the fact that, when I go to a party with my parents, I find myself having a much better time talking with people in their 20's and 30's rather than people my own age that I meet at school. Last year I tried to do the social thing and make friends, but I was miserable (though I did have my first girlfriend towards the end of the year, so it wasn't a total loss). This year, I've gone into it with the mindset that you can have fun in hell. I'm very sarcastic and almost painfully honest (but not cruel or mean) with a smile on my face. I've made a few friends, but most importantly, I've found a compromise where I can have a conversation with others and not have an overwhelming urge to smack them upside the head with some sense and a dictionary.

Dec 28, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #59 of 106
If someone hasn't said this already, boo hoo, get over it, that's just how high school is. That sounded a lot more like whining than a rant to me. If high school is a problem for you, it's probably a result of your personality as well as the fact(?) that you're smart. Either way, it's all about your attitude towards it. Nothing can make you miserable except you allowing yourself to be miserable.

Dec 28, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #60 of 106
Cyrillic:I acknowledge school is like that. I know that. I like school for its intended purpose as a learning establishment.

I'm irritated how my peers handle my presence. How would you like to be a "novelty item"? I'm always overly critcized, monitored constantly. Even if I do something right, someone (in some group) will come an declare me wrong and the rest of the people will think him infallable and omniscient, then rant at me.

I know kids insult over kids, vice versa... I'm not just being called names. Its evolved into something even more... People get points for degrading me. Some people target me because others target me. Its sick, and it only elffects me (in that school) to this degree. The others call it a joke. But jokes have their limits.

To the people who think I need to calibrate my attiude. I don't act this way at school. I'm generally quiet. I don't say or do weird things (well, I'm techie, so normal to me is weird to them). I don't brag about things or try to enlighten people (audio, spiritual, etc.)) Truth is, some people took the novelty a step higher. They praised me often. Took me into some god-like status (insult). All of which later on induced insults (from them and others) and pain. I don't go around saying I'm smart. I do the opposite.

I think I attracted too much attention when I took my math class. The freshman? who takes it. Algebra II/FST. I don't care though... I stopped caring about thoughts a while ago (years). I just care about the abuse inflicted on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back