officially reshelling used JH/UE customs? [apparently not]
Apr 17, 2010 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mnagali

100+ Head-Fier
I suddenly find myself having the means to possibly save up and get some top-end customs this June/July! but if I can save a couple of hundred dollars by buying used, it'd be great to put that towards a proper amp
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe in passing I saw some top end customs in the FS forums going for a couple hundred dollars cheaper than normal, and I was wondering if you can get these officially reshelled by JH/UE, and if so how much they would cost? I'm satisfied with the work that Fisher does, and the UM stuff looks great too, but to ensure the best, I want to make sure everything is up to the original standards and get them done by the original manufacturers if possible. I tried looking thru their websites for info about this, but didn't see anything on the matter, so I wonder if anyone has gone this route in the past (or is a reshell thru 3rd party the only option)?

Pending my situation doesn't change again, I'll most likely just order a brand new pair (leaning towards JH16 pricewise), but I'd just to see what people thought about this idea (if possible) should another top end custom come to the FS forums again.

upgraditis... grr Head-Fi... atleast if I aim for the top, that'll be the end right?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both JH and UE directly said "no remolding" when I asked them about it.

//update: unless anyone else has any more personal experience to add, I believe my question has been answered. thanks for the responses in this thread.

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnagali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suddenly find myself having the means to possibly save up and get some top-end customs this June/July! but if I can save a couple of hundred dollars by buying used, it'd be great to put that towards a proper amp
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe in passing I saw some top end customs in the FS forums going for a couple hundred dollars cheaper than normal, and I was wondering if you can get these officially reshelled by JH/UE, and if so how much they would cost? I'm satisfied with the work that Fisher does, and the UM stuff looks great too, but to ensure the best, I want to make sure everything is up to the original standards and get them done by the original manufacturers if possible. I tried looking thru their websites for info about this, but didn't see anything on the matter, so I wonder if anyone has gone this route in the past (or is a reshell thru 3rd party the only option)?

Pending my situation doesn't change again, I'll most likely just order a brand new pair (leaning towards JH16 pricewise), but I'd just to see what people thought about this idea (if possible) should another top end custom come to the FS forums again.

upgraditis... grr Head-Fi... atleast if I aim for the top, that'll be the end right?
biggrin.gif

i dun think UE and JH offers that service unless its for a refit, but apparently from what I've heard Westone charges quite a bit for reshelling.

Unconfirmed about the Westone bit - don't kill me man haha but honestly speaking, since the amount you are paying is nearly as close to the original price, might as well go for the real deal.

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by B[van] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dun think UE and JH offers that service unless its for a refit, but apparently from what I've heard Westone charges quite a bit for reshelling.

Unconfirmed about the Westone bit - don't kill me man haha but honestly speaking, since the amount you are paying is nearly as close to the original price, might as well go for the real deal.

+1 save up some cash and order it directly from JHA. I have never tried personally to reshell any of my IEMs. I understand some people were satisfied with their results, but the whole idea about the customs like a JH13 is to go thru the customization experience, i.e., to start from scratch and have the experts build and tune it to its factory specs, not to buy someone else's molds and try to retrofit parts of it to yours. Also, you will enjoy the full 2 year warranty plus the free 30-day refit benefits directly from JHA.

I saw someone buying used high-end customs for as much as $750??? I was honestly baffled why on Earth anybody would go thru that process just to save, what $200 over the original cost, once you factoring in the extra shipping charges, reshelling, etc. That, at least to me, does not worth the additional risk in fit, build quality difference and potential SQ loss. How do you know what you get in the end sounds exactly as an original JH13 would without having a demo at hand?

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JH doesn't do reshells, just refits.

On the other hand, the $50 artwork fee includes the aluminium plate.

That is true, but the plate is actually titanium.

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 save up some cash and order it directly from JHA. I have never tried personally to reshell any of my IEMs. I understand some people were satisfied with their results, but the whole idea about the customs like a JH13 is to go thru the customization experience, i.e., to start from scratch and have the experts build and tune it to its factory specs, not to buy someone else's molds and try to retrofit parts of it to yours. Also, you will enjoy the full 2 year warranty plus the free 30-day refit benefits directly from JHA.

I saw someone buying used high-end customs for as much as $750??? I was honestly baffled why on Earth anybody would go thru that process just to save, what $200 over the original cost, once you factoring in the extra shipping charges, reshelling, etc. That, at least to me, does not worth the additional risk in fit, build quality difference and potential SQ loss. How do you know what you get in the end sounds exactly as an original JH13 would without having a demo at hand?

well the point I made in my first post, was to find out if you can get it reshelled by the original manufacturers (rather than 3rd party) to avoid all the concerns you pointed out, to ensure it is up to original factory specs.

anyways, like I also said I'll most likely go towards a new unit anyways, unless this is a viable option (FS price + original manuf reshell + etc etc = significantly cheaper)
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lonereaction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 21 going 22. I got my livewires when I was 18, and they don't seal very well anymore.
What if after 3 years, I want to refit my JH customs? o.o

I'm not sure a person's ear changes significantly through 3 or 4 years. I'm guessing it changes just enough for the seal to break. JH, UE, or whoever else could probably notice that they were your phones to begin with just by looking at the old shell and comparing it to new impressions.

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnagali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the point I made in my first post, was to find out if you can get it reshelled by the original manufacturers (rather than 3rd party) to avoid all the concerns you pointed out, to ensure it is up to original factory specs.

anyways, like I also said I'll most likely go towards a new unit anyways, unless this is a viable option (FS price + original manuf reshell + etc etc = significantly cheaper)
beerchug.gif

you bring up a good point there. Although unlike my hairline, I'd expect me ears to be largely static, I will ask this theoretical question since I just got the "in the lab" notice for my JH13s from the same mold. I'll share whatever I learn.

In 3 years, however, should there be any alterations needed, it would be, from the JHA/UE perspective a new unit, since you'd have to get a different mold done anyways. Maybe you could then work out a trade-in deal for your old unit or simply get a discount, I don't know what they would be willing to do in such a scenario. I know there is a 30-day free refit from JHA.

Knowing myself, in 3 years if the situation had presented itself, I would be ordering a JH32 Pro 32-driver Limited Edition for $2,999 instead of trying to refit my JH16s...
icon10.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 15
@BoxBoxBox
where did you get this information you claimed? I just assumed it wasn't a usual service since the info wasn't readily available on their websites, but there was no language saying they were absolutely against it either.

@warp08
a good hypothetical question to bring up: should you ever want to upgrade to their next iteration (JH-18, 32, etc) and want to give your old pair to a friend of yours, what sort of services they can help you with
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #12 of 15
JHA tells me that your ears will stay roughly the same, and the only work that needs to be done is considered a refit, not a remold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaime Harvey
We do not reshell our IEMs. Your ear should not change shape for many years, unless you are young and still growing, so there is really not that much to worry about. If you have fit issues we can fix those for you, but they would be minimal. The fee for that within 30 days of your purchase is nothing, after that it is $50. This does not usually require a new shell after an extended period of time.

I'm a little miffed that JHA only has 30 day refits, and Fisher has 90 days. Unless I shell out for 2-day Fedex or something equally expensive, a refit will take a whole month to do.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 15
mnagali;6567297 said:
@BoxBoxBox
where did you get this information you claimed? I just assumed it wasn't a usual service since the info wasn't readily available on their websites, but there was no language saying they were absolutely against it either.

Both JH and UE directly said "no remolding" when I asked them about it.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #15 of 15
For remolding you may want to try one of the other companies out there. For instance, Unique Melody comes to mind. I think they do remolds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back