Official X5 1st gen beta firmware thread--version 2.51: 8 new updates
Dec 15, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #121 of 437
Originally Posted by Qalavand /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip>

@Joe Bloggs:
Could you guys open source the firmware so we can customize the codes?

And who would be responsible for the warranty claims when the clock radio fans start putting Last FM on it and then circulating the result?

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #123 of 437
  heartbeat ? well thats don't look like murmur too lol this is what i heard
Turn on device > plug the headphone > play > Click.Click.3milsec. Click > now music start

@Joe Bloggs:
Could you guys open source the firmware so we can customize the codes?

belive me or not, first time i heared it, i almost fainted of fear that i got a bad device... it is totally fine, it is there to protect the headphones of thump or something. like a very high noise of the amps, that could damage the driver of the headphone.. the guys at fiio are very very nice to have installed that feature. very sensitive headphones could be damaged without this feature...

mine goes someting like click-click when i insert the headphones, and one click when i press play, just when the music starts. and two click when i take the headphones out. 

it has a human heart inside, that is why it sounds so nice!~

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #124 of 437

Request for safety of young people:
I have cousin that love to use my x5, but sometimes she increase the volume that will shock my ears! She dont know how to use high volumes and manage the time, so Please show alert like "high volume will damage your hearing" when people want to increase volume in specific amounts and add option to limit the time of high volume.
thanks

Please don't.  The X5 has a maximum volume setting -- parents should ensure that it's set and not changed.  I have no interest in every single thing in the world being my "child safe."  I don't want to see a stupid warning every time I change the volume.  Why not a warning that says, "Dropping the X5 on your foot can hurt," every time you turn it on?

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #125 of 437

Thanks Theo - brain not engaged 
blink.gif

Top left definitely.

See, you are upside down in NZ, so everything looks backwards as compared to us folks on the upside.  
wink_face.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #126 of 437
Um- why a  volume warning when there is, as stated above, a limiter that you can set?  And, of course, who gives a little kid (I assume) something that can damage her hearing because she doesn't know how to work it?  That's what adults are for.  It's YOUR responsibility if you hook her up to it and then don't watch her.  I'm a parent 2X and a teacher.  My kids don't get stuff that can hurt them without me being right there to make sure it doesn't.  

Clicks are normal, in the manual, been discussed many times over.

How come you guys aren't freaking out about the click when you change formats (16 to 24 or to mp3)?  It clicks then, too.  Totally normal.

I mistakenly switched to shuffle, caught it, and switched it back.  That's what preferences are.  Why do we need a switch to prevent us from making a simple mistake?  This is an adult device for adults.  We really don't need childproof caps to protect us from ourselves.  

Open source?  Why would Fiio open things up?  Their toy, their proprietary rights.  Nothing good could come of opening it up (to them and possibly to the majority of us).  

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #127 of 437

Open source?  Why would Fiio open things up?  Their toy, their proprietary rights.  Nothing good could come of opening it up (to them and possibly to the majority of us).  

Open source folks have done some real nice things with other players. I have Rockboxed every device that I have that is supported.
Many times the community can do things better and faster than the manufacturer. They simply do not have the same constraints.
Who would handle the warranty on screwed up devices due to flashing firmware that is not supported? No one should have to. If one of us adults chooses to do something to a device that voids the warranty, it is on us and only us.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #128 of 437
Fiio is in business.  The business is to sell us stuff.  Fiio's NAME is on the stuff.  If someone comes along and hacks the device, and the Fiio name is on it, and there is a problem, it's still a Fiio.  What's in it for them?  Besides which, it's Fiio's device, and whatever it does is Fiio's concern.  It decides what the device can do and not do.  

As to voiding the warranty, do you seriously think that if someone bricks or otherwise messes up the device they won't go crying to Fiio and claim that "they didn't do anything."  Really?  If you were in business, would YOU trust "adults" to do the right thing?   

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #129 of 437
  Fiio is in business.  The business is to sell us stuff.  Fiio's NAME is on the stuff.  If someone comes along and hacks the device, and the Fiio name is on it, and there is a problem, it's still a Fiio.  What's in it for them?  Besides which, it's Fiio's device, and whatever it does is Fiio's concern.  It decides what the device can do and not do.  

As to voiding the warranty, do you seriously think that if someone bricks or otherwise messes up the device they won't go crying to Fiio and claim that "they didn't do anything."  Really?  If you were in business, would YOU trust "adults" to do the right thing?   

Adults was a term that you used to indicate that we are smart enough not to blow our ears out...even without a warning... so are we? I am skeptical as well.
BTW it is not Fiio's device once I buy it, it is mine.
Sansa has allowed this to happen, even Apple has allowed it to happen. I see that they are still both in business and doing fine. I don't recall either being brought to their knees due to warranty abuse over Rockbox. 
Now I am looking at what might end up being the best for the user community. You seem to be finding excuses for Fiio not to do something. Not sure how you got into their heads on this.
It would be great if James commented. Then we may have some insight into what they think. Beyond that, the discussion is pretty meaningless. Even if the speculation is somehow correct, the fact remains that if they did open the software up, it would very likely benefit the user community.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #130 of 437
"Now I am looking at what might end up being the best for the user community"  
beyersmile.png

Apple ALLOWS Rockboxing?  I've been jailbreaking for many years and it surely doesn't seem to like that.  Just the opposite.

I'm not getting into their heads, as you say.  There are three Fiio players at this point and none of them have been opened up.  There has been no discussion by James or Joe as to any of the previous posts re open-sourcing their devices.  Nothing I've read in all of the posts they've made about the X7 seems to imply that it will be opened up (perhaps just the opposite).  Why would they do this?  Other companies would just jump on their hard work.

Fiio has the right to make its devices the way it wants.  It may not want the "user community" to change its stuff around.  It may feel that the devices should work the way Fiio intends them to work.

If someone hacks into a Fiio firmware or OS, then you may get what you want.  But to ask a company to open up propriatary software for all to play with, after it spends its time and money making said software, seems disingenuous at best.  No company has an obligation to any outside group, "user community" or not, to let others have access to its work.  Any more than anyone here would spend years and hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to create such software and then say, "hey, everybody, here is my software, play with it, duplicate it, it belongs to the world."  

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #131 of 437
2) Is there a link to a repository of all the previous firmwares in case I want to revert?

3) How do you guys get wind of a new beta or main release as soon as it is available?

Thanks All

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/1xqxn9nrrcv6l/FiiO_firmware
Repository of all FiiO firmwares
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4377ajo5rkpd5/X5
Repository of all X5 firmwares

You may subscribe to these folders and be informed whenever I put a new firmware version in there :)

Discussion about rockboxing

As ClieOS noted, we are not at liberty to disclose a firmware OS for which even we only have a partial license :deadhorse: Nevertheless I look forward to the day some intrepid soul cracks an X series open :wink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 16, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #133 of 437
I don't want the switch to prevent me from making your mistake. I want it because otherwise I have to reset it from one setting to the other at least 8 times a day (and often more). That's a complete PITA. Don't assume that everyone else's usage patterns are the same as your own.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #134 of 437
I don't want the switch to prevent me from making your mistake. I want it because otherwise I have to reset it from one setting to the other at least 8 times a day (and often more). That's a complete PITA. Don't assume that everyone else's usage patterns are the same as your own.

I am trying to figure out what post you're replying to... and not quite making it :blink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 16, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #135 of 437
Hi Joe

Try this - it's a series.  olddudes original post, his next one (which I haven't quoted) is the one BubbaBob quoted.  I suggested an option - ie quick access to play modes.  Evidently this does not suit BubbaBob and he wants a separate switch.

Quote:
  I just realized (as songs were playing out of sequence) I had (don't know how, must have been while installing betas) changed Play album to Shuffle album.  Came home and put three Traffic albums in a folder, played the last track of each, at the end of the first two albums it jumped to the next album, and at the end of the third it jumped to the next alpha folder (non-Traffic)!

Holy crap, I can put all albums in a "master" folder for each artist.  There goes a lot of clutter and a speeded up scroll.  

Thanks, Fiio engineers!!!
beerchug.gif

Precisely why I asked for a switch to disable shuffle in the Folder Mode.

Top left button when playing - select the mode you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back