Official X5 1st gen beta firmware thread--version 2.51: 8 new updates
Dec 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #91 of 437
  nope, no luck on my side

I simply made a folder labeled The Beatle Albums, dragged the appropriate albums into it, made sure they were in the correct order (not alpha but release date), ran Scan and tried.  Works perfectly.  I just did my whole library this way, it looks much smaller now and is easier to navigate.  

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #92 of 437
mine works just fine... finishes a floder, goes to the next... if there are say 
/linkin park/hybrid theory
/linkin park/meteora
/metallica/1991 - metallica
/metallica/load/

every time, if i let it play at linkin park/hybrid theory, it will go by itself to metallica/load... which is so good...
i don't understand what thing doesn't work... it doesn't matter how many folder there are, it does things right...

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #93 of 437

I simply made a folder labeled The Beatle Albums, dragged the appropriate albums into it, made sure they were in the correct order (not alpha but release date), ran Scan and tried.  Works perfectly.  I just did my whole library this way, it looks much smaller now and is easier to navigate.  

I just tested on mine, this is super sweet. I have my cards setup like this, i.e A > Adele > 19 > *.flac

Played the last song in her album "Skyfall", the next song played was the first one from the first album in my library by Aerosmith.

Also, when playing the first song in a folder, pressing skip back will skip to the last song in the previous folder. 

GOOD JOB FIIO!!

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #94 of 437
Yep, the player just got exponentially better. Arranging a library just got easier in Folder view, so that scrolling is lessened and transitions are easier.  

To make sure the albums play in the correct order I just put a number after the name- The Beatles 1 Rubber Soul, The Beatles 2 Revolver, etc. to foil the alpha sorting.  

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #96 of 437
Hi fellow X5'ers

I am new to the X5 (2 days) and obviously new to the forum (apart from pre-reading stuff before I decided to buy).

The unit came with version 2.3 according to "About". I have now upgraded it to 2.36b and have a couple of questions. I apologise in advance if these have been covered in other fw release threads, but there are far too many posts to read everything.
Firstly, the new feature in 2.36b:
1) Folder Jumping (or whatever the correct term is). Firstly I assume this feature in enabled by having the Chinese menu item set to 'on'. In my case it does not seem to work whatever the setting is so I wondered if I am missing something in how my folders need to be arranged.
My Top level folder structure is Artists on the root of the SD card. If I select say, "David Bowie" (in either folder view or music view after a rebuild) then in that folder are 2 more folders "Outside" and "Never Let Me Down". The flac track files and nothing else are in their respective folders.
If I select the last track of album "Outside" and let it play, the player stops at the end (I expected it to go to the first track of "Never Let Me Down")
if I skip to next track it goes to track 1 of same album - just as it did before the fw update. Similarly, if I am track 1 of the second album and press previous, it goes to the last track of the same album. This behaviour is the same no matter which folders with multiple albums I try.

2) Is there a link to a repository of all the previous firmwares in case I want to revert?

3) How do you guys get wind of a new beta or main release as soon as it is available?

Thanks All

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #97 of 437
To get Folder transition to work, turn on the Chinese setting as you did.  Now make sure that your Play order is set to Play Album (the straight lines icon), and not Shuffle or Repeat.  Then simply make a single folder with a band's name on it and put, say, two albums (in their respective folders) in THAT folder.  Go to Settings and do a rescan.  Now go to Folders>Band Folder>1st album and select last track.  Let it play or use the scrub button (bottom right) to advance the track.  Stop scrubbing before the end of the track.  It should automatically advance to the next folder at the completion of the song.  

This should be done from the Folder view (the icon of a folder in your main menu).  I don't know if it works from any other play mode, but it does in Folder view.

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #98 of 437
http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39932

Non-beta firmware from Fiio

Subscribe to all of the Fiio X5 threads here.  Go to search and type in Fiio X5.

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #99 of 437

I agree that sound signature has change compare to fw2.2. Fw 2.2 has better higher frequencies, and EQ is more sensitive for changes than in fw 2.36.
eek.gif

I like new firmware, but i go back to 2.2 - sound much more better than 2.36.
I listen on Philips Fidelio x1 and AKG K550.

Someone else, I believe, posted that the beta had BETTER high frequencies.  
smile.gif

The sound signature has not, to my knowledge, been changed.  James and Joe read these pages and post on these pages and there's been no mention of a change.  I don't hear a change.  Brooko and others have posted that they don't hear a change.  

When you reinstall a firmware you might want to run Factory Reset and then reset your prefs/settings.  That way you know that you have a clean install. 

I have reinstall firmware, reset to default settings and unfortunately it does not help.
I set up Custom EQ as follows:
31, 62,125,4k,8k,16k to max (6db)
250, 2k to 5db
500, 1k to 4db
so it is a little "v"
When i play music and switch between Custom EQ and EQ OFF i hear change in sound on fw2.20, but when i set same Custom EQ on fw2.36 and switch between Custom EQ and EQ OFF there is no change in sound like in fw2.20.
In fw2.20 sound on Custom EQ became more "clear" compare to EQ OFF, in fw2.36 there is no difference.
In fact this Custom EQ does not increase treble, just decrease mids so treble and bass sounds better.

Am I right that Custom EQ should has scale from 0 to -12db :
 The equalizer is implemented in the digital processing stage, and includes a filter stage and a digital gain stage. Volume is controlled after digital-analog conversion. The equalizer filter can effect a maximum increase of 6dB in a frequency band; if this is done without lowering the digital gain, it could cause the digital signal to clip at 0dBFS and cause audible distortion. Lowering the analog volume afterwards has no effect on the distortion. Thus to preserve signal integrity, a digital gain of -6dB is added when equalizer settings are enabled to avoid clipping. This does not affect audio quality except insofar as you need to turn up the volume afterwards.

Can You try do this experiment with both fw (2.20 vs. 2.36) same EQ settings and share your opinion.

[Mod Edit]: Problem parsing the X1 link - link removed.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #100 of 437
  This should be done from the Folder view (the icon of a folder in your main menu).  I don't know if it works from any other play mode, but it does in Folder view.

Many Thanks olddude.

I followed your instructions and now it does seem to work fine.  I think I may have been expecting it to work from the Artists section in "Play by Category". I think it only works from the Folder View.
Would be nice if it worked from any of the categories as the Media Library has gone to all the trouble of populating the lists. It should just be a matter of playing the tracks in exactly the sequence you see as you browse the library. But it's no biggie.

Incidentally I see a lot of posts about the main menu rotation being the wrong way round. I quite like it this way. If one imagines the rotating menu and the rotating wheel as 2 meshed gears then the rotation is as expected. I suspect the artists at Fiio picture it something like that 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #101 of 437
  I have reinstall firmware, reset to default settings and unfortunately it does not help.
I set up Custom EQ as follows:
31, 62,125,4k,8k,16k to max (6db)
250, 2k to 5db
500, 1k to 4db
so it is a little "v"
When i play music and switch between Custom EQ and EQ OFF i hear change in sound on fw2.20, but when i set same Custom EQ on fw2.36 and switch between Custom EQ and EQ OFF there is no change in sound like in fw2.20.
In fw2.20 sound on Custom EQ became more "clear" compare to EQ OFF, in fw2.36 there is no difference.
In fact this Custom EQ does not increase treble, just decrease mids so treble and bass sounds better.

Am I right that Custom EQ should has scale from 0 to -12db :

Can You try do this experiment with both fw (2.20 vs. 2.36) same EQ settings and share your opinion.

[Mod Edit]: Problem parsing the X1 link - link removed.

tried it... the eq works the same, there is zero difference between firmwares.. i just don't hear it..

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #102 of 437
Thanks, Joe! Your company is awesome. I'll be trying this out over the next week to see how it works.

P.S. Too bad your company doesn't make cars, refrigerators, computers, etc. Yet. :)

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #104 of 437
  Precisely why I asked for a switch to disable shuffle in the Folder Mode.

Top right button when playing - select the mode you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back