Official X5 1st gen beta firmware thread--version 2.51: 8 new updates
Dec 13, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #61 of 437
Posted this in another thread, posting it here also as I am on the latest beta 2.36 and have some observations.

1) The latest beta 2.36 does not completely fix the issue with capturing all the media files when scanning. I have close to 15000 songs across 2 x 128GB cards and it gets to 12626 songs only. Still much better than before for sure.

2) The sound signature has changed between 2.34 and 2.36, with more top end present by default in 2.34. Nothing I could not rectify with the equaliser but it is definitely present, irrespective of what others or Fiio are saying.

3) I wish they would shorten the amount of time required for a long press to register across the entire operating system.

4) My preference is that using the scroll wheel while on the Now Playing screen should control the volume by default rather than take you to a list of the tracks.

5) I wish they would introduce a longer time span for when Idle Poweroff would kick in. Being limited to 8 minutes as a maximum is a bit frustrating.

6) I would love to see Resume Mode offer an option of Last Song No Play, meaning the player will revert to the beginning of the last track played prior to shutdown without automatically playing it upon switching on the player.  

7) I would love to see a return in the ability to scroll through a song without it pausing.

8) Regarding battery, I would like to see ongoing improvements to battery life with each firmware iteration, a percentage reading for the amount of battery left and a more accurate reading of the amount of battery left.

9) General speed improvements across the entire operating system. Some key presses, screen updates and track changes still take time to register.

10) Last but not least, speed up the scrolling through large song, artist, album or folder lists.

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #62 of 437
I use folder view and just number songs of multi-discs consecutively.  

Have you tried making a single FLAC or WAV with a CUE.  That might get rid of gaps.  

I only play in Folder view, so that is the only info I have.

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #63 of 437
Posted this in another thread, posting it here also as I am on the latest beta 2.36 and have some observations.

1) The latest beta 2.36 does not completely fix the issue with capturing all the media files when scanning. I have close to 15000 songs across 2 x 128GB cards and it gets to 12626 songs only. Still much better than before for sure.

2) The sound signature has changed between 2.34 and 2.36, with more top end present by default in 2.34. Nothing I could not rectify with the equaliser but it is definitely present, irrespective of what others or Fiio are saying.

3) I wish they would shorten the amount of time required for a long press to register across the entire operating system.

4) My preference is that using the scroll wheel while on the Now Playing screen should control the volume by default rather than take you to a list of the tracks.

5) I wish they would introduce a longer time span for when Idle Poweroff would kick in. Being limited to 8 minutes as a maximum is a bit frustrating.

6) I would love to see Resume Mode offer an option of Last Song No Play, meaning the player will revert to the beginning of the last track played prior to shutdown without automatically playing it upon switching on the player.  

7) I would love to see a return in the ability to scroll through a song without it pausing.

8) Regarding battery, I would like to see ongoing improvements to battery life with each firmware iteration, a percentage reading for the amount of battery left and a more accurate reading of the amount of battery left.

9) General speed improvements across the entire operating system. Some key presses, screen updates and track changes still take time to register.

10) Last but not least, speed up the scrolling through large song, artist, album or folder lists.

Most of your points were answered in the other thread by Brooko

Originally Posted by Romani 

Pretty sure others have been scanning more than that.  May come down to your tagging.  My advice is to make tags as basic as you can.  Relatively easy to do with a good tag editor, and you'd be surprised at how many eroneous tags are often left in the file metadata from the original ripping program, or other media players.  iTunes is a shocker for this. 

Sorry - not hearing it.

Press and hold the scroll wheel button - volume then activated.

Agree - this would be good.

You mean as in no volume while you're scrolling.  Personally I'm OK with it as-is.

8) I find it odd that the Custom and None equaliser options when defaulted to 0dB across the spectrum sound different.
Theo answered.

9) Regarding battery, I would like to see ongoing improvements to battery life with each firmware iteration, a percentage reading for the amount of battery left and a more accurate reading of the amount of battery left.
Agree - not sure how likley to happen though.

10) General speed improvements across the entire operating system. Some key presses, screen updates and track changes still take time to register.
Only option I can think of in interim - is use folder view, and divide base folders up alphabetically.
EG Folder \AB\ then each artist folder alphabetically, \CD\, \EF\ etc
That way you are only scrolling 13 folders at base level

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #64 of 437
That is what I do when I have to.

My problem is that I use iTunes for tagging, and it adds an extra file to each track, so that even with gapless playback there is a gap which can be very annoying when listening to a continuous piece, e.g. opera.

Are you on a Mac? If so, you're a victim of the "curse of the hidden files." To rid yourself of this curse, download & install "Eject for Windows". Put it in your dock and drag your TF1 & TF2 cards onto the EfW icon instead of ejecting the usual way. This will remove all those pesky extra files.

Fiio's already implemented a fix to avoid transferring hidden files in the latest X3 betas, so we should be seeing it soon in X5 betas :)

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #65 of 437
I agree that sound signature has change compare to fw2.2. Fw 2.2 has better higher frequencies, and EQ is more sensitive for changes than in fw 2.36.
eek.gif

I like new firmware, but i go back to 2.2 - sound much more better than 2.36.
I listen on Philips Fidelio x1 and AKG K550.

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #66 of 437
  I agree that sound signature has change compare to fw2.2. Fw 2.2 has better higher frequencies, and EQ is more sensitive for changes than in fw 2.36.
eek.gif

i am still to hear it, but being that there are more than one people reporting it, i will test this in depth..

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #67 of 437
Theos, do you have your smaller custom firmware on any other site than mediaFire?  I find there's a lot of stuff on the pages but not a clear download link or button.  I'm anxious to try it out.

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #68 of 437
Theos, do you have your smaller custom firmware on any other site than mediaFire?  I find there's a lot of stuff on the pages but not a clear download link or button.  I'm anxious to try it out.
If your email host allows 15mb files, I can try and mail it to you...

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #70 of 437
i have been blind testing... method is proof against failure, i have installed 2.34 and .36 on diffwerent microsd and insert them by shuffle, listen to tracks, then insert again. practically the cards look the same, firmware was stock beta, so it looks the same. could tell what was what by looking in about x5 after i tested... i have no ideea what i was installing, and trying to see if i ever detect a difference... there seem to be a slight difference, in 2.34beta being a little better. i am not sure.. seems like the treble on 2.36beta are a little recessed. on 2.34 they seem louder at some certain point, but i am not sure if it is by much... 

been testing with eyes closed, in bed, without distraction, for proofing against any differences... if there are, they are slight, in favor for 2.34, but i am not so sure that there are any at all..

the mood changes when you hear a thing for the 10th time, so you are to hear a thing louder or softer. testing tracks were prone to revealing differences, wintersun - death and the healing, rings of saturn - immaculate order, finger eleven - paralyzer, cold war kids - saint john, sonata arctica - chamapgne bath and some more that reveal treble differences easly.

after a lot of testing there seemed to be a slight difference, but i am not very sure of it. it seems to hinder the treble. but again, i cannot guarantee that there is. on saint john, the treble is piercing, like it should, but on wintersun, it seems to be recessed, my mind surely plays a role on this. this, or the firmware affects only some songs. if there are any differences, they should be like 1-3db at  over 12khz-18khz.

Fiio, please keep up the good work! thank you for your hard work into making your products the best! 
And thanks again, to theo, the creator of the best theme!

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #71 of 437
eek.gif

Someone else, I believe, posted that the beta had BETTER high frequencies.  
smile.gif

The sound signature has not, to my knowledge, been changed.  James and Joe read these pages and post on these pages and there's been no mention of a change.  I don't hear a change.  Brooko and others have posted that they don't hear a change.  

When you reinstall a firmware you might want to run Factory Reset and then reset your prefs/settings.  That way you know that you have a clean install. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #72 of 437
I love the firmware so far, seems rock solid.
I really only have 3 firmware requests and I will be happy probably forever:

1. Replaygain - not sure how difficult it is to implement but some sort of software equalization is needed now that shuffle works
2. Indexing files from usb OTG - would be great especially since you can plug in up to 1TB ssd's
3. Last.fm - even just in a text form like rockbox for the ipod does.

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #75 of 437

Someone else, I believe, posted that the beta had BETTER high frequencies.  
smile.gif

The sound signature has not, to my knowledge, been changed.  James and Joe read these pages and post on these pages and there's been no mention of a change.  I don't hear a change.  Brooko and others have posted that they don't hear a change.  

When you reinstall a firmware you might want to run Factory Reset and then reset your prefs/settings.  That way you know that you have a clean install. 

J don't hear a change, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back