Official X5 1st gen beta firmware thread--version 2.51: 8 new updates
Dec 16, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #152 of 437
"mostly since the player always freeze for 15 seconds at every beginning of a new song"

I don't know what you mean with this. My device does not freeze in any manner when I play a song, and if I want to skip to the next, I can do so as soon as the song begins.

"I hate not being able to choose which song I want to play next as I like to plan in advance without doing a playlist"

That is the point of a playlist. If you want to do a playlist without doing a playlist, I'm lost. I suppose you could make a folder with your selected songs and let it play that way.

"It would be so easy to do"

If it was easy, it would already be implemented.

"It would be nice too if it would stop erasing my "Favorites" everytime I put a new firmware."

By erasing the firmware you are changing the OS. I suppose you could just stick with a firmware and not change it. But if you keep changing every time a beta comes out, this is probably going to be what happens each time. You could make a folder of your favorites and then they would be organized together for easy access.

"MP3, 16 Bits, 44 KHz, VBR 160 Kbps"

How is this valuable information? Why is seeing the bit rate so important? I have everything from 16/44 to 24/various to DSD and I can't see a single reason why I need to know the bit rate. In fact, I rarely look at the screen once the music starts playing.

How many songs you have on your X5 Olddude? I'm 90% sure that it is only because I have too many songs on it. It doesn't matter the file size of your songs, if you have a very huge number such as 14-15K then you will get this delay. I did exchange my used Fiio that I bought from a guy here, for a new unit when I refunded the "new" one I bought and it did the same on both. It's like if there wouldn't be enough onboard memory for cache or if the player doesn't make any cache or some sort of database for quicker access on the main SD card. When I press "Previous" to go from the Song to the Album then from there to the Artist view, the delay is shorter such as 3-4 seconds but everytime I skip or select a song, I hear it after a second but cannot press anything as the player doesn't response to anything, for 12-15 seconds every single time which is kind of annoying. Even if there is only 10-15 songs in an album, it's like if the player has to search through the whole database and remember everything rather than just the songs that were in the current album being played, hence the delay.

The reason why I will never use a "real playlist" is because it means you'll be listening to the very same preset of songs every time you'll be listening at it. I don't want also to choose in advance a list of 10-15 songs, I just want to plan ONE or TWO songs at most in advance, at all time so being able to tag a "next song" by holding the center button over a file/song would be really cool.

Ya I've guessed it for the favorites who gets erased everytime, I expected it to be normal which is why I don't really mind. As for the bitrate I mean, the information is already there inside the mp3 file just like the ID3Tags are so if it can extract the tags from the file, why wouldn't it be able to also get the bitrate at the same time? What I wonder though is how will it work for VBR files. Will it show a fixed number, will it keep updating every few seconds or will it only show an average or is it just not possible because if it is as simple as retrieving the tags from the file, then it could quickly be implemented I'd guess? I still have to admit that it would mostly just be "cool" and not necessary yet and that I'm still waiting for a faster way to browse my files as many suggested already since many months ago as it is quite dumb to say the player can handle 2x128Gb cards so more than 4000 files, if you have no way of browsing through all of them without spinning the wheel endlessly ^^

Suggestion: Oh I've forgot... it would be nice if at the end of an album the player would stop instead of going back to the first song of the album and play in an endless loop so you never know if you finished already the album and listened twice to the same song :/

Quote:
  Again, sound is unchanged

I really don't get it when people say the sound is different, better or worse when they update the firmware. It is definitely a placebo effect. The DAC and all the hardware remains the same so how would a simple update change the sound that much, even though the devs says nothing about it is beyond me.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #154 of 437
I think it's funny when people over tax the system and then say it doesn't operate as expected. 14-15K songs is A LOT OF MUSIC. :eek: So yes, the player was not designed to operate with that many files and therefore is slow.

It's like packing my car with way too much weight and then going back to the dealership complaining of poor gas mileage and an under performing engine. Sometimes expectations are just too high. Especially for the price. :rolleyes:

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #155 of 437
ph34r.gif
  That must have been a really romantic evening.  There was a full moon, the trees were rustling in the breeze, there was the scent of hyacinth in the air.

The lovestruck Hugo sings the streets of serenade, Laying everybody low with a love song that he made, Finds a convenient streetlight steps out of the shade, Says something like you and me babe how about it?  And the AK says... oh, you know how this turns out.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #158 of 437

I really don't get it when people say the sound is different, better or worse when they update the firmware. It is definitely a placebo effect. The DAC and all the hardware remains the same so how would a simple update change the sound that much, even though the devs says nothing about it is beyond me.

How did they change the sound on the X3 when they released FW 3.0? The hardware didn't changed there

I must admit, that when I first plugged my X5 into the car, I immediately felt like there was a decrease in bass. So I don't know.

What would, in terms of software, affect how the sound changes? Does it go through the processor, or is there a dedicated audio processor which is separate to the processor that does the rest?
What about the memory? It now stores where you were in the file system so when pressing the back button from the now playing screen, it takes you back to where you were when you selected a song. So where does it store this information, and could that perhaps influence the sound in terms of a buffer or something like that?

I have very little understanding on how these things work...so I'm just spit ballin' here

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #159 of 437
On the odd occasion the sound signature can change from the way the DAP is decoding a codec. On the X3 it was a fix to the MP3 decoding that was the largest SQ change in 3.0.

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #160 of 437
Dec 17, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #161 of 437
I think it's funny when people over tax the system and then say it doesn't operate as expected. 14-15K songs is A LOT OF MUSIC.
eek.gif
So yes, the player was not designed to operate with that many files and therefore is slow.

It's like packing my car with way too much weight and then going back to the dealership complaining of poor gas mileage and an under performing engine. Sometimes expectations are just too high. Especially for the price.
rolleyes.gif

Well i guess they should have stated that they added 2 sdcard slots that support 16 gb cards maximum, because they should have known that 256 gb sounds like too many music files i guess :D

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #162 of 437
When I hear a song that has no good quality, i want to see if its a bad recording studio o if its a bad enconding.Seeing the bitrate allows me if its a bad quality to search for more quality file for that song. Having more than 4 TB. is imposible to have all music in high quality. Also, there are song i cant find or buy with more quality than an MP3, because not exist. I have MP3 that songs better than a 24 Bits/192 KHz or DSD because the high quality of the album recording studio. Because all of this, the bitrate its important for me.

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #163 of 437
Why EQ "Normal" sounds diferent than "Custom (with all at 0dB)"? Its only sound level? Why?

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #164 of 437
  When I hear a song that has no good quality, i want to see if its a bad recording studio o if its a bad enconding.Seeing the bitrate allows me if its a bad quality to search for more quality file for that song. Having more than 4 TB. is imposible to have all music in high quality. Also, there are song i cant find or buy with more quality than an MP3, because not exist. I have MP3 that songs better than a 24 Bits/192 KHz or DSD because the high quality of the album recording studio. Because all of this, the bitrate its important for me.

If you encoded it yourself (ie purchased the file) - you know.  And you don't have to find out on the DAP.  If it's a bad file, don't put it on the X5 - simple :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #165 of 437
  Why EQ "Normal" sounds diferent than "Custom (with all at 0dB)"? Its only sound level? Why?

As soon as you engage EQ it automatically drops the output level by 6dB.  This is to make sure you avoid clipping, as a lot of people EQ up rather than down.  It's well documented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back