Official X3 2nd gen beta firmware thread--FW1.44: library search, ReplayGain, high speed USB, DoP, D2P...
Aug 20, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #122 of 367
  I would agree that in general with all FIIO units it should be easier to get to the EQ menus.

My overall sense is that this is a good firmware release.  At least so far.

I fully agree on the easy EQ access. It shouldn't be a problem to the FiiO programmers to implement it.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #124 of 367

Not everyone wants to carry around an amp with their portable player.

That is very true.  Personally I don't mind the idea (although as of yet, I don't have any cans that are difficult-to-drive enough that I've had any need to get an amp and do such a thing), but I know others might find it cumbersome.

Aaaaanyway.  Guys.  Guys.  Let's all rally behind the idea of improvements on the EQ on this like that earlier poster proposed!  The two things I'd most like to see in future firmware for teh X3ii are:
1.  Volume-matching between the EQ and Non-EQ sound playback.  This is very very important to me, as without it, it's hard to tell whether or not I prefer the EQ on any given track, since it's difficult to do an objective back-and-forth comparison if the volume isn't matched!
2.  A shortcut to reach the EQ while on the song-now-playing screen!

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #127 of 367
I am really liking this firmware. I suppose the sound signature has not changed but I am loving this unit all over again.

Why would they change the sound with the firmware?  How wouuld they change the sound with the firmware?  Lol.

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #128 of 367
On the original x3 most forum denizens thought the sound changed quite a lot with various firmware releases

No I do not think the new firmware made any changes overall except that I perceive better bass response. I have a custom eq with a very mild low bass boost. Seems to be more reliable on the line out than before. Makes my car audio sound a bit more to my liking. Maybe the eq is better behaved. Probably all in my head but I am happy with the new firmware.

I also perceive that The OTG is more stable on this release so far.

Preparing for some abuse and derision now. Bring it on. At least I am not complaining just praising

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #129 of 367
On the original x3 most forum denizens thought the sound changed quite a lot with various firmware releases

No I do not think the new firmware made any changes overall except that I perceive better bass response. I have a custom eq with a very mild low bass boost. Seems to be more reliable on the line out than before. Makes my car audio sound a bit more to my liking. Maybe the eq is better behaved. Probably all in my head but I am happy with the new firmware.

I also perceive that The OTG is more stable on this release so far.

Preparing for some abuse and derision now. Bring it on. At least I am not complaining just praising

Really?  How is that even possible?  The whole point of the device is to get accurate sound with a flat-signature, so how would different firmware change the sound quality?  Some kind of DSP?  But wouldn't using DSP actually make the sound less accurate, in-principle?

The folks who reported changes in sound over time with firmware updates on the old X3. . .did they think the changes were actually improvements?

I'd love to hear from someone actually from Fiio, though. . .do they, in fact, use firmware updates to tweak the sound?  And if so, again, in all seriousness, HOW?

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #130 of 367
I notice something as well. I have a set of Senngrado's and since the 1.16 release I have to turn the bass boost down on my Fiio E12A or I overdrive them on a few bass heavy tracks. This didn't happen with 1.1 fw. still sounds good but bass boost is less necessary now and really only needed for old mastered music (pre bass war era)

As for how...could it be possible they made a tiny adjustment in gain? 

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #132 of 367
New firmware bug. Using OTG will only play single songs and doesn't play through folder. Big problem and hassle pushing next after every song. Anyone else have that problem?

Same glitch with OTG here too
And got one more odd glitch - in 2 days I have been using 1.16 , player has paused it self 3 times randomly (playing files from internal SD card)

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #134 of 367
Count me in as another with the OTG issue (W233b).  Plays one song and done unless I manually skip to the next song.  I went back to the previous stable FW.  Everything was going good this morning until I gave it a try.  I'm sure FiiO will get it right.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #135 of 367
If I read this correctly I have rev 122a on my unit.

With the new firmware, OTG registers more easily.

However, as pointed out by others, it actually just plays on track at a time then needs to be manually forwarded.

So yes, there is a bug in the OTG playback.  Sorry for speaking too soon about the OTG improvement.  It did not occur to me that playback would not work if the card was more readily acknowledged by the system.  This should be straightforward to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back