Official X3 2nd gen beta firmware thread--FW1.44: library search, ReplayGain, high speed USB, DoP, D2P...
Jun 13, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #80 of 367
Well I joined the forum so I could report my findings with the beta firmware.

I have the NB code W233b and I was seeing the same headphone message. Sometimes I could work around it, but other times I could not and had to reboot. Looking forward to the next revision as I enjoyed the improvements to the DAC.

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #81 of 367
I'm also getting the head phone issue - users with X3's of NB code W233b (check in System Settings->About X3) may receive an error message on disconnecting / reconnecting headphones after flashing to this firmware. - so I'm about to go back to the original firmware.

One question though what does the NB code represent?

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #82 of 367
Yes, this bug makes the player borderline unusable, and although it supplants a bug in the previous version of the firmware that also made the player borderline unusable (audio cutting out + white noise in left channel after standby for ~5 minutes) I am going to need to downgrade the firmware, although I can't find a download for the previous version anywhere.

I don't think it's too much to ask to get a player that is capable of playing sound files without choking every 10 minutes for $200, is it? I thought we were paying for a finished product...

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #83 of 367
You can download the production firmware from the Fiio website. I went there looking for the original firmware as well.

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39932&extra=page%3D1

I have not experienced static you may want to engage technical support as you may have a defective player or you may have found a new issue they need to address. I for one am happy with my purchase, it does what it said it would do and there is continued development.

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #84 of 367
Yes, this bug makes the player borderline unusable, and although it supplants a bug in the previous version of the firmware that also made the player borderline unusable (audio cutting out + white noise in left channel after standby for ~5 minutes) I am going to need to downgrade the firmware, although I can't find a download for the previous version anywhere.

I don't think it's too much to ask to get a player that is capable of playing sound files without choking every 10 minutes for $200, is it? I thought we were paying for a finished product...

All firmware releases can be found at: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39932&extra=page%3D1

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #85 of 367

Don't forget that this is a beta release and not the full release of the firmware.  It is stated in the title and original post that this is a beta release and Joe Blogs also says it may contain bugs. 

"Please note that all firmware posted in this thread are beta firmware--please post in this dedicated thread if you have any issues with these versions, and if you encounter serious problems, consider flashing back to a stable release." 

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #86 of 367
Don't forget that this is a beta release and not the full release of the firmware.  It is stated in the title and original post that this is a beta release and Joe Blogs also says it may contain bugs. 

"Please note that all firmware posted in this thread are beta firmware--please post in this dedicated thread if you have any issues with these versions, and if you encounter serious problems, consider flashing back to a stable release." 

Yes, absolutely, I understand. But I downloaded the beta update to fix a bug that myself and apparently several others were experiencing, which also made the player borderline unusable after several minutes of standby.

If I have to warranty my player I will, but I'd rather help sort out the issue. I'm just a little annoyed that my device doesn't perform its intended function without freezing every five minutes.

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #87 of 367
FYI, to all those who were reading my posts thinking, what the hell?  The issue was interference.  The more I thought about the specific sound issues, the more I was convinced it had to be interference (interference can disproportionately affect higher frequencies).  The moment I swapped out the RCA cables I had been using (Mediabridge and a Monster that was supposed to be a modest upgrade) to a River Cable digital coax, 95% of the problem went away.  I have little doubt the remaining 5% difference has to do with the Fiio-supplied RCA coax to 3.5 dongle, since it has very little or no shielding.  The River cable is really quite wonderful--first time I've bought one of their cables: beautifully crafted.  

I'm not a bass head by any means, but I still stand by my earlier comment, that there's something not entirely right with the sub bass on the Fiio X3 2nd Gen EQ--at least on my Senn HD-800s.  But I'm sure that'll be fixed in future updates.  For now, I'm just delighted I get to keep the Fiio X3 2nd Gen (and all the stuff I bought to go with it).

It would be nice though if, while using the coax out, I could control the volume from the X3.

Quote:

That's good to hear. So the bad news is that probably your player is faulty. Contact your seller or maybe James@FiiO here on the forum or via PM.

Jun 18, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #88 of 367

FYI, to all those who were reading my posts thinking, what the hell?  The issue was interference.  The more I thought about the specific sound issues, the more I was convinced it had to be interference (interference can disproportionately affect higher frequencies).  The moment I swapped out the RCA cables I had been using (Mediabridge and a Monster that was supposed to be a modest upgrade) to a River Cable digital coax, 95% of the problem went away.  I have little doubt the remaining 5% difference has to do with the Fiio-supplied RCA coax to 3.5 dongle, since it has very little or no shielding.  The River cable is really quite wonderful--first time I've bought one of their cables: beautifully crafted.  

I'm not a bass head by any means, but I still stand by my earlier comment, that there's something not entirely right with the sub bass on the Fiio X3 2nd Gen EQ--at least on my Senn HD-800s.  But I'm sure that'll be fixed in future updates.  For now, I'm just delighted I get to keep the Fiio X3 2nd Gen (and all the stuff I bought to go with it).

It would be nice though if, while using the coax out, I could control the volume from the X3.

Hey, congrats – and thanks for the info! I'm puzzled about your interference, as I could use any cable, even unshielded, without any issue.

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #89 of 367
Hi,

Just a question before I upgrade: are the settings kept with the upgrade? In particular I'm wondering about my custom eq settings, since I don't know how to write it down on a piece of paper, because there's no detailed figure related to the cursors positions...

Thnks, Sebastien

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #90 of 367
  Hi,

Just a question before I upgrade: are the settings kept with the upgrade? In particular I'm wondering about my custom eq settings, since I don't know how to write it down on a piece of paper, because there's no detailed figure related to the cursors positions...

Thnks, Sebastien

Yes, seetings do not reset when upgrading and my custom eq has kept intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back