Official X3 2nd gen beta firmware thread--FW1.44: library search, ReplayGain, high speed USB, DoP, D2P...
Jun 13, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #61 of 367
  I tried firmware 1.11 with a 32 GB SanDisk card filled with 1999 MP3s. The lag after pressing the menu button from the «now playing» screen amounts to acceptable 2 s when playing and 1 s when paused. After reinsertion of the almost fully loaded Samsung 128 GB card I'm back to 5 s when playing and 3 s when paused. This compared to 0.1 s with firmware 1.1.

I just figured out that pressing the menu button for ½ to 1 s immediately brings me to the main menu. So all is good.
smile.gif

I'll try replacing my coax cable with something a little more high end.  Since I'm switching from Toslink, I just bought an inexpensive--but typically quite good--Mediabridge cable until I could figure out what cable to buy for the X3.  But right now, it seems the fault lies with the X3 2nd Gen: the digital out works now with this beta firmware update, but the quality just isn't there--it sounds tinny and thin, and the stream also seems to be some missing data in the 14-18 kHz range (something just doesn't sound right in that range since some details are just gone).  Also, a 6 DB increase in the EQ's bass does not appear to produce a 6 DB increase. (I'm trying to use the X3 to drive a Schiit Gungnir DAC and Woo Audio WA2--replacing the iPad/Jive Cable/Pure i20 combo I've been using (which produces excellent sound, but which has other limitations).  Here's hoping the cable's at fault.

I can't reproduce your experience. Firstly, with my player the digital out worked from the start; and secondly, the latest firmware (after 1.1 – sans beta) is 1.11 beta. The digital signal I get is flawless and now (since 1.11) even incorporates the EQ function. Speaking of the latter, the 31 Hz slider does its work. Maybe there's not much sub-bass in the music sample you used for testing (?). «Missing data in the 14-18 kHz range» doesn't make sense; it's simply impossible for a cable or DAC to eliminate frequency-specific data.

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #62 of 367

I just figured out that pressing the menu button for ½ to 1 s immediately brings me to the main menu. So all is good.
smile.gif

I can't reproduce your experience. Firstly, with my player the digital out worked from the start; and secondly, the latest firmware (after 1.1 – sans beta) is 1.11 beta. The digital signal I get is flawless and now (since 1.11) even incorporates the EQ function. Speaking of the latter, the 31 Hz slider does its work. Maybe there's not much sub-bass in the music sample you used for testing (?). «Missing data in the 14-18 kHz range» doesn't make sense; it's simply impossible for a cable or DAC to eliminate frequency-specific data.

Thanks for testing it out.  I discovered it's my IEM's not the player that's the problem.  I was using some Aurisonics ASG-2.5's, and I could hear the music, Lorde's "Pure Heroine" album, so plenty of sub bass, and I could hear the sub bass, but not feel it like the Aurisonics are known for.  So, they're being checked under warranty, we'll see what they say.

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #66 of 367
I'd be grateful if you'd do me the courtesy, here and elsewhere, of not assuming that I'm somehow misunderstanding, or don't get it. But I do appreciate you trying to reproduce my issue. Software can control/influence the quality of the data stream, as can interference (which is why I replaced the cable). Try streaming your hi res music data through an iPad/Onkyo HF Music Player/Cable Jive/Pure i20. I think you'll be shocked at the difference in the quality of what you're hearing. I'd think I was getting all the data from the Fiio if I hadn't heard the difference. Something most definitely is wrong with the Fiio stream. The only thing I haven't checked or replaced is the coax to RCA dongle Fiio includes with the unit. It's possible that's the problem since it can't have much, if any, shielding.

I just figured out that pressing the menu button for ½ to 1 s immediately brings me to the main menu. So all is good. :smile:

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #67 of 367
  Joe - idea for all your Daps - upper left context button (in now playing menu)

Add a slection to go straight to the EQ screen.  Would be one of the handiest shortcuts on the device IMO.

+1. Good idea! Thanks!

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #68 of 367
I'd be grateful if you'd do me the courtesy, here and elsewhere, of not assuming that I'm somehow misunderstanding, or don't get it. But I do appreciate you trying to reproduce my issue. Software can control/influence the quality of the data stream, as can interference (which is why I replaced the cable). Try streaming your hi res music data through an iPad/Onkyo HF Music Player/Cable Jive/Pure i20. I think you'll be shocked at the difference in the quality of what you're hearing. I'd think I was getting all the data from the Fiio if I hadn't heard the difference. Something most definitely is wrong with the Fiio stream. The only thing I haven't checked or replaced is the coax to RCA dongle Fiio includes with the unit. It's possible that's the problem since it can't have much, if any, shielding.

Since I don't know you nor your state of knowledge, my approach was the one I considered reasonable. I use my computer (via USB and Toslink), my McCormack UDP-1 and my FiiO X5 as references (no smartphone here). All of them sound more or less the same as the X3 II when feeding my Chord Hugo. «More or less» since I haven't systematically compared them; the only passably noticeable difference I detected was between Toslink and USB from the computer. Nevertheless, the sound with the X3 II as digital source is every bit as good as with the other sources, not to speak of the sonic balance. Also, I can't imagine that your player's equalizer wouldn't work properly when mine does. Therefore my reasoning that your perception may be flawed – but of course I could be wrong, although it would be a mystery. However, I stick with my opinion that a loss of data isn't the culprit here – it would result in interferences, not a shift of sonic balance.

I just compared X3 II and X5 through the Chord Hugo: I couldn't discern any difference. Maybe if I'd try harder and take more time for it. In any event my X3 II sends flawless digital signals to the DAC, as does the X5. Out of curiosity I tried an unshielded RCA cable with the supplied adapter. The sound remained the same, I couldn't even provoke interferences (other than once with the X5).

My apologies if my response is doing you injustice in any way. Maybe your unit or your cable (adapter) is faulty.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #69 of 367
I'm not sure whether people will agree with me or not but somehow I'm not happy with the equalizer of Fiio X3ii. The default settings are really good but ideally equalizer should fine tune the sound but in this case it's just reducing the other frequencies and overall volume. I've never used high end equipments, may be that's how it should behave. But I'm very much used to Cowon settings where every slider makes difference in the sound. I personally feel X3ii lacks sub bass. It suits for warmer sounding headphones or bassy headphones but if you have neutral sounding headphones then it doesn't add that subbaas you need.
In my case Fiio E6 helps in adding that warmth in the sound. But I feel Fiio could have easily add some bass tuning feature worth $27.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #70 of 367
That's why Head-Fi has profiles. Click on my user name, then select "view profile." You can also read a user's other posts. I assure you, my perception is not faulty.

Th
Since I don't know you nor your state of knowledge, my approach was the one I considered reasonable. I use my computer (via USB and Toslink), my McCormack UDP-1 and my FiiO X5 as references (no smartphone here). All of them sound more or less the same as the X3 II when feeding my Chord Hugo. «More or less» since I haven't systematically compared them; the only passably noticeable difference I detected was between Toslink and USB from the computer. Nevertheless, the sound with the X3 II as digital source is every bit as good as with the other sources, not to speak of the sonic balance. Also, I can't imagine that your player's equalizer wouldn't work properly when mine does. Therefore my reasoning that your perception may be flawed – but of course I could be wrong, although it would be a mystery. However, I stick with my opinion that a loss of data isn't the culprit here – it would result in interferences, not a shift of sonic balance.

I just compared X3 II and X5 through the Chord Hugo: I couldn't discern any difference. Maybe if I'd try harder and take more time for it. In any event my X3 II sends flawless digital signals to the DAC, as does the X5. Out of curiosity I tried an unshielded RCA cable with the supplied adapter. The sound remained the same, I couldn't even provoke interferences (other than once with the X5).

My apologies if my response is doing you injustice in any way. Maybe your unit or your cable (adapter) is faulty.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #71 of 367
I'm not sure whether people will agree with me or not but somehow I'm not happy with the equalizer of Fiio X3ii. The default settings are really good but ideally equalizer should fine tune the sound but in this case it's just reducing the other frequencies and overall volume. I've never used high end equipments, may be that's how it should behave. But I'm very much used to Cowon settings where every slider makes difference in the sound. I personally feel X3ii lacks sub bass. It suits for warmer sounding headphones or bassy headphones but if you have neutral sounding headphones then it doesn't add that sub bass you need.
In my case Fiio E6 helps in adding that warmth in the sound. But I feel Fiio could have easily add some bass tuning feature worth $27.

Maybe FiiO wants to sell its amps with bass bost to bassheads.
wink.gif
More seriously: Although the X5 has a tiny bit more sub bass than the X3 II, I don't perceive the X3 II as bass shy at all. And I really like its equalizer. «...it's just reducing the other frequencies and overall volume»: the latter applies – gain reduction is what any good digital equalizer does to avoid clipping with massively increased frequency bands. You just have to get used to it and increase the volume accordingly.

If you're used to listen to your E6 with bass boost, you may want to emulate this characteristic with the much more sophisticated EQ of the X3 II – or maybe create an even better curve, with a warmer, more neutral or more pleasing sound as result. If it's sub bass you're after in first place, increase the 31 Hz band by 1-3 dB.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #72 of 367
That's why Head-Fi has profiles. Click on my user name, then select "view profile." You can also read a user's other posts. I assure you, my perception is not faulty.

That's good to hear. So the bad news is that probably your player is faulty. Contact your seller or maybe James@FiiO here on the forum or via PM.

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #73 of 367
Maybe FiiO wants to sell its amps with bass bost to bassheads. :wink: More seriously: Although the X5 has a tiny bit more sub bass than the X3 II, I don't perceive the X3 II as bass shy at all. And I really like its equalizer. «...it's just reducing the other frequencies and overall volume»: the latter applies – gain reduction is what any good digital equalizer does to avoid clipping with massively increased frequency bands. You just have to get used to it and increase the volume accordingly.

If you're used to listen to your E6 with bass boost, you may want to emulate this characteristic with the much more sophisticated EQ of the X3 II – or maybe create an even better curve, with a warmer, more neutral or more pleasing sound as result. If it's sub bass you're after in first place, increase the 31 Hz band by 1-3 dB.
I tried all the possible options to emulate similar sound but it simply doesn't create that warmth. I'm not a basshead but I like fuller sound than absolutely flat sound. My experience is with Takstar Pro80 and HM5 Velour pads. I certainly don't have any of the high end equipments that you own. May be that's why my mileage varies.

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #75 of 367
I tried all the possible options to emulate similar sound but it simply doesn't create that warmth. I'm not a basshead but I like fuller sound than absolutely flat sound. My experience is with Takstar Pro80 and HM5 Velour pads. I certainly don't have any of the high end equipments that you own. May be that's why my mileage varies.

Yes, I understand. Sorry for not remembering you straightaway and for the mismatch X3 II / aaDee!
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back