Official X3 1st gen firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit, play through folders--Happy Chinese New Year!
Dec 11, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #257 of 921
Oh geez'...here we go...dude u probably dont have anything good or constructive to say so just keep ur BS to ur self...

I've never used or owned high res flacs b4 so i gave it a try b4 pouring money on it..ok??

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #258 of 921
Oh geez'...here we go...dude u probably dont have anything good or constructive to say so just keep ur BS to ur self...

I've never used or owned high res flacs b4 so i gave it a try b4 pouring money on it..ok??

Nice attitude. It's pretty obvious that it's something wrong with those files isn't it?

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #259 of 921
Yeah but tried several different uploads. The files play ok on my laptop. So it seems like the X3's read/process speed arent adequate.
Since all of your x3s play them smooth, it must be the reading speed.
Couple of good ideas were brought up here that i want to try first..will give it a go after work.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #260 of 921
  So I have played around with the 3.22 FW for a bit now and I think it is working quite well (have not tested 3.24 as I hear it is a little buggy).

However, the still-existing 5800 song limit is a total dealbreaker for me. What's the point of being able to use a 128GB card if the card will hold more files than the player can recognize / access?

Granted, the majority of my files are .mp3's at 256 or 320, not massively larger .FLAC files so I can have a lot more songs on the card. The reason being that I use my Fiio as my "portable" music player - I travel quite frequently, so this is what I use to take music with me when I am on the road, in the plane, in the hotel, etc. If I want to listen to my music at home in full dynamic range, I pop a CD in my stereo (or drop the needle on a record), so I don't need the digitization of my library to be fully lossless.

One of the selling points for me with the X3, along with the excellent sound quality, was the storage capacity. I wanted the ability to have everything on the player and not have to worry about swapping files on and off the device or carrying multiple cards. The 5800 song limit entirely removes that capability on the X3.

Why Fiio has still not corrected this issue simply baffles me - this limit did not exist in earlier FW versions so it is not something that they should have to figure out.

Back to FW 2.1 I go.....

I contacted FiiO about this and they are going to extend it to about 20,000 songs in a later firmware.

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #261 of 921
Dec 11, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #265 of 921
X3 will "recognize" as many files as you can cram on a mSD card - just make sure your files are well-organized and use the "Folder" icon to browse your music.

It depends on the firmware. I have a card with just over 10,000 songs.  On FW 2.1 (which was the latest and greatest when I got my X3) all were recognized perfectly.  With every FW since 3.0 that I have tried, whenever I manually build the library, it shows the file count, stops at 5800, and when you go through the folder, about half of my folders are missing.  My main folder has a sub folder for every artist with a sub-folder  for each album in those.  It only shows artists up to somewhere in the "S"es.  Same problem with 3.22.  But when I flashed back to 2.1 this afternoon, the X3 recognizes all of my songs.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #267 of 921
@Tober138:

I specifically mentioned clicking on the Folder icon, which takes you to folder view. That lets you browse as many files as you can cram into your card. You're doing something different - building the library and using Categories browsing.

I AM using the "folder" view and not the "categories" view (I assumed that was implied by the use of the word, "folder" several times in my last post, sorry if that wasn't clear).  My folder structure is such that when you select Browse Files / SD Card, it opens up to a list of artist folders (one folder per artist, example: Acid Bath, Adam West, Against Me, etc.) and then each Artist folder has a sub-folder for each album by that artist.  Again, only the first 5800 songs show up - somewhere around Social Distortion shows as the last folder in the main list (when it should be Wrathchild America).  This was my experience on FW 3.0X and 3.22.  on FW2.1, all folders show up as they should - all of this is using the Folder icon.

Now, I have not tried simply popping the card in and not building the library at all.  Maybe that would work.  But without building the library that means I am not only relegated to only using file view and not taking advantage of category views (no big deal as I've always used Folder view since the category function was half-assed in 2.1), but it also means that I can't do a shuffle play of all tracks by a single artist or do a shuffle-all of every track on the player - functions which I frequently make use of.

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #268 of 921
That's bizarre. Sorry you're having this problem. No offense was intended. I've seen several people use the term "folder" when they really meant album, which is why I thought i should be absolutely clear. I have put more files on my mSD cards with both X3 and X5 than the library can handle, built the library, and then successfully used folder browsing to see all the files. Not sure how to help. Are others having this problem, or is this an isolated case?

Tried re-flashing the firmware?

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #269 of 921
Yeah but tried several different uploads. The files play ok on my laptop. So it seems like the X3's read/process speed arent adequate.
Since all of your x3s play them smooth, it must be the reading speed.
Couple of good ideas were brought up here that i want to try first..will give it a go after work.

It could be that the speed of your sd card is not sufficient (any class 10 card should work). It could also be that the flacs you have got use some exotic combination of bit rate, sample rate and encoding that the X3 cannot decode properly. Most people here do not seem to have problems with flacs purchased from hdtracks or quobuz or similar sites.
If you don't want to spend money, you could try some flacs from this site, they are of good quality and free:

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #270 of 921
It depends on the firmware. I have a card with just over 10,000 songs.  On FW 2.1 (which was the latest and greatest when I got my X3) all were recognized perfectly.  With every FW since 3.0 that I have tried, whenever I manually build the library, it shows the file count, stops at 5800, and when you go through the folder, about half of my folders are missing.  My main folder has a sub folder for every artist with a sub-folder  for each album in those.  It only shows artists up to somewhere in the "S"es.  Same problem with 3.22.  But when I flashed back to 2.1 this afternoon, the X3 recognizes all of my songs.

We had a discussion earlier on in the thread as to why this limit exists and the reason appears to be that when Fiio decided to sort of "reunify" the fimwares of the x1/x3/x5 in order to save time by not having to support 3 completely different firmwares this 5800 limit was introduced, coming from the X5 firmware.
Whereas the X3 could store the song database in a reserved pirtion of its internal 8gb memory, The X5 does not have 8gb of internal memory. It probably has some small internal memory to store internal settings and the song database.
The solution to this would beto change the firmware to allow for storage on the sd card. This has the slight disadvantage of working only if there is some space left onthe sd card for the database. If a user has filled up thesd card completely, this wouldn't work. The firmware could, on first insertion of an sd card in the player, reserve a portion of storage though by creating a hidden file sufficiently large for the database (if we assume 100.000 songs with perhaps max 1.000 bytes per song for name, album etc we'd need only 100MB which is not much on a 128gb card, perhaps a bit more for database overhead/indexes). If there's no space on the sd card in first insertion in the player a message could be displayed to free up some space - folder view would still work in this case.
Why this solution hasn't been implemented yet I don't know....
But then again next folder play or eliminate second button press (you often have to press a button twice to achieve a response) hasn't been fixed either yet. Maybe Fiio has only one parttime programmer working on everthing :wink:
I personally think Fiio should release the source code to the public - there are alot of people out there with coding skills and it would probably increase sales as people are looking for players that can run firmwares like rockbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back