Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Feb 18, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #63 of 1,479
Feb 18, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #64 of 1,479
that and the $200 drop points.... like come on
What exactly is the point of "drop points"? Like, I read the description on their site that said "most things can be purchased" with them, but browsing the site I don't see anything with a "drop points" price...just plain $$$ instead. I assume there's some silly logic of pricing normally $400 HP's for $500 worth of Drop Points?

Which again...they're willing to "lose" some money with the stupid points thing...so why not just skip that nonsense and pass the savings on to the consumer? Like if it were $200 in points and $150 in cash off the price of $1100 I bet I know which one most sane people would choose.

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #65 of 1,479
What exactly is the point of "drop points"? Like, I read the description on their site that said "most things can be purchased" with them, but browsing the site I don't see anything with a "drop points" price...just plain $$$ instead. I assume there's some silly logic of pricing normally $400 HP's for $500 worth of Drop Points?

Which again...they're willing to "lose" some money with the stupid points thing...so why not just skip that nonsense and pass the savings on to the consumer? Like if it were $200 in points and $150 in cash off the price of $1100 I bet I know which one most sane people would choose.
Sounds to me like they were expecting a better unit cost from Senn and got in way over their heads. This credit seems like damage control.

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #66 of 1,479

Sounds to me like they were expecting a better unit cost from Senn and got in way over their heads. This credit seems like damage control.
Drop Points are a buyer rewards program on all purchases on Drop.com, and that's been in place for about a year, as a replacement to the $10 and $20 credits that Drop had been using before. As an example, lots of people were churning accounts to get the $20 Drop Studio credit for new users.

They convert to a fixed dollar amount of your next item purchase. In this case, you get a pre-order HD 8XX and the THX 789 amp for $1200.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #67 of 1,479
$1100 is a lot for a drop product. The Elex took almost 2 years to sell 3000 units, at a much cheaper $700 price point and a large chunk of those sold when they dropped to $550. They've never sold that much of a $1k+ product before, so this definitely sounds optimistic. On the other hand, I've already talked to several people who are setting their alarm clocks because they're afraid all 3000 units will immediately sell out. With a delivery date of "optimistically" 10 months, and realistically a year +, I doubt a huge rush on these.

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #68 of 1,479
$1100 is a lot for a drop product. The Elex took almost 2 years to sell 3000 units, at a much cheaper $700 price point and a large chunk of those sold when they dropped to $550. They've never sold that much of a $1k+ product before, so this definitely sounds optimistic. On the other hand, I've already talked to several people who are setting their alarm clocks because they're afraid all 3000 units will immediately sell out. With a delivery date of "optimistically" 10 months, and realistically a year +, I doubt a huge rush on these.
"I will add/note for those placing a preorder, your preorder can be cancelled/refunded at any time up until the ship date. So if you see a review in the next few weeks that changes your mind dramatically, you can always get your money back. Also, these will be covered by our Drop Studio 30-Day return policy. If they are not to your liking after you try them, you may return them for a refund."

sold out.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #69 of 1,479
Thanks but no thanks. Sorry I love you Sennheiser but this is just nuts for someone living in the EU.
The part about them changing the tuning and the add on of better bass extension is indeed very much what I was looking for...but yeah dishing out 1100$ on an unknown and then having to wait another 9 months in order to check out what I actually paid for...well is not for me. Hoping that it doesn’t get snatched up by the taxman is another thing...or else I end up paying roughly the same that I would for a regular HD800S.
I fully understand US customers though:)

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #70 of 1,479
Thanks but no thanks. Sorry I love you Sennheiser but this is just nuts for someone living in the EU.
The part about them changing the tuning and the add on of better bass extension is indeed very much what I was looking for...but yeah dishing out 1100$ on an unknown and then having to wait another 9 months in order to check out what I actually paid for...well is not for me. Hoping that it doesn’t get snatched up by the taxman is another thing...or else I end up paying roughly the same that I would for a regular HD800S.
I fully understand US customers though:)
Yup, pretty much it. I would end up paying almost 1400$, plus a year wait for something we don't have an actual review.
At this point might as well add 200$ more and get the regular 800s and add EQ if necessary.
We might even see some discounts in the coming months for the regular Sennheiser products given that they will need to clear stock

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #72 of 1,479
well they could at least show some measurements in comparison to the HD800 or HD800s. So nowbody knows how the changes actually look. Maybe those are just very minor improvements.
Guys, do yourself a favour: just buy an old used HD800 and learn to use a parametric EQ and be done.

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #73 of 1,479
$1100 might be a fair price. If they added more bass extension and made the mids more flat, it could be an improvement.

However, I am passing because these are things you can easily fix with an EQ. No need to buy a new headphone for that.

Also I have concerns about Massdrop their warranty.

Sennheiser should come with a baby version of their Orpheus 2. It is the best headphone I have heard so far, but that price tag is rediculous. If they make a mini version for let’s say $5000, it will sell really well.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #74 of 1,479
Might be a decent deal for US customers... But for EU customers not only will you have to wait at least 9 months, you'll also have to pay Import tax (like 300-ish EUR?)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back