Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Feb 18, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #76 of 1,479
And the fact of having the actual headphones samples but intentionally keeping potential buyer in the dark is some kind of Sado-Maso Spiel. Hit me baby one more time :)
it's a tightrope, they don't know how reviewers will respond and they will obv say oh this is preproduction etc but they want something that first impression will be most favorable before they give it to anyone to put pen to paper for all to see for all time

honestly I am sure more than one headphone has been tweaked to fit reviewers general tastes because simply put placating them means good reviews which means money

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #78 of 1,479
it's a tightrope, they don't know how reviewers will respond and they will obv say oh this is preproduction etc but they want something that first impression will be most favorable before they give it to anyone to put pen to paper for all to see for all time

honestly I am sure more than one headphone has been tweaked to fit reviewers general tastes because simply put placating them means good reviews which means money
Tweaked reviews are common thing , but there is a high chance that someone would measure them while not beeing end of it all, it would be much more then with what are they providing us now, lame dark picture with the date.

And one more thing , +5db at 10Hz so people will be listening to sine sweeps exclusively to enjoy the bass boost. Bounce !

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #82 of 1,479
I'm clearly behind the times here with all this fancy 800s. I have the regular 800 with a Super Dupont mod. Can anyone offer their thoughts on how that might compare to an 800s and then speculate a step further to the 8xx?

I'm hesitantly considering this purchase, but like a lot of people have pointed out... $1100 sitting in the ether for 9-months on an unknown in the middle of the biggest global pandemic of a century with millions unemployed just don't sit right.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #83 of 1,479
I'm clearly behind the times here with all this fancy 800s. I have the regular 800 with a Super Dupont mod. Can anyone offer their thoughts on how that might compare to an 800s and then speculate a step further to the 8xx?

I'm hesitantly considering this purchase, but like a lot of people have pointed out... $1100 sitting in the ether for 9-months on an unknown in the middle of the biggest global pandemic of a century with millions unemployed just don't sit right.
improved padding material for mid range

besides that ask yourself does your can have more bass added to FR? if so then it's the same damn thing

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #84 of 1,479
This is an interesting proposition. Those who already own HD800/HD800S often own other headphones, where HD800/800S are often used as reference phones for balance and soundstage check. If HD8xx has simply boosted bass/mid, you could in theory achieve similar effect with the minor equalization tweaks on HD800/HD800S. For those want one headphone to do it all and/or do not want to eq. their phones, this may be a tempting offer. However, unless HD8xx offer some magical mids like HD6XX, I am not sure if current folks will abandon HD800/800S to jump on this deal. I'm curious, but trying to resist dumping $1.1K until I know more about real benefits over existing HD800S.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #85 of 1,479
Is a tough position. Was hoping for less than 1k and shipping by spring time.

I must admit, since I am a card carrying member of Audiophile Anonymous, this new HD8XX is very interesting to me. I am very tempted to purchase it. If I didn't already have the HD800S, I would be buying it. $1100 for an enhanced HD800S has great potential. Now, I am thinking I will wait until resales come out, purchase one and then keep the one I like more.

I need to take my mind off of these Headphones by focusing on Planars which I don't have yet.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #86 of 1,479
Screenshot_20210218-101432_BlueMail.jpg

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #87 of 1,479
This is an interesting proposition. Those who already own HD800/HD800S often own other headphones, where HD800/800S are often used as reference phones for balance and soundstage check. If HD8xx has simply boosted bass/mid, you could in theory achieve similar effect with the minor equalization tweaks on HD800/HD800S. For those want one headphone to do it all and/or do not want to eq. their phones, this may be a tempting offer. However, unless HD8xx offer some magical mids like HD6XX, I am not sure if current folks will abandon HD800/800S to jump on this deal. I'm curious, but trying to resist dumping $1.1K until I know more about real benefits over existing HD800S.
This is where I am at. I can't justify a purchase. I do EQ my HD800S and they sound fantastic. I think you are right. If the mids prove to be fantastic, then it's worth getting them. But, we won't know until the reviews come out. I do own HD800S, HD650 and HD600.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #89 of 1,479
This is where I am at. I can't justify a purchase. I do EQ my HD800S and they sound fantastic. I think you are right. If the mids prove to be fantastic, then it's worth getting them. But, we won't know until the reviews come out. I do own HD800S, HD650 and HD600.
Total n00b question here: how do you EQ them? Never tried that, but interested in starting.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #90 of 1,479
That upper mid dip and overall brighter treble are a little concerning...
Nice to see better lowend extension but everything else looks like it could be troublesome...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back