Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #91 of 1,479
Total n00b question here: how do you EQ them? Never tried that, but interested in starting.
It's very easy. Download Equalizer APO and the Peace interface. Find the EQ profile you want to use on Github. Add a 100hz bass shelf and voila, instant reference headphones that sounds great with every genre of music. There is a thread on how to do it.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #92 of 1,479

I need to take my mind off of these Headphones by focusing on Planars which I don't have yet.
If you are the type of person who kept all three Sennheiser headphones, I am truly sorry about your wallet in your adventure with planars.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #94 of 1,479
That upper mid dip and overall brighter treble are a little concerning...
Nice to see better lowend extension but everything else looks like it could be troublesome...
I had the exact same reaction. This gives me sufficient reason to not make a purchase which is what I really need.

If you are the type of person who kept all three Sennheiser headphones, I am truly sorry about your wallet in your adventure with planars.
they were so cheap, it doesn't hurt to keep them. At $1100, that's too much to have 2 headphones so close to each other in sound signature. I do listen to my HD600s occasionally. I would listen to them more, but I have a large collection of IEMs that get more ear time.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #95 of 1,479
My question is: in terms of how this graph translates to human-perceived sound, does it justify $1100? I have no sense of how to answer that lol
I honestly don't know.
I'm in the UK anyway, meaning once shipping+Import is factored in it wouldn't be any cheaper than HD800S anyway so I have no incentive to buy. I genuinely thought this would be $999 or something.

In any case, will wait for reviews later and see. But this definitely isn't either the "HD800S but cheaper" or "HD800S but better" we were hoping for I don't think.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #96 of 1,479
they were so cheap, it doesn't hurt to keep them. At $1100, that's too much to have 2 headphones so close to each other in sound signature. I do listen to my HD600s occasionally. I would listen to them more, but I have a large collection of IEMs that get more ear time.
I kept my HD650 as similar reasoning, which I purchased nearly two decades ago, which still provides hours of enjoyment for how little it costs compared to HD800S. Planar headphones are blessing and curse at the same time--uniquely different sonic signatures between models even from the same company and cost significantly more than dynamic headphones.

Anyways, what I was really hoping was HD82x that produce the intimate midrange/vocal of HD650 and provides full range of performance of HD800S, perhaps adding more bass. Although I don't go purely by frequency response curve, I now have slightly more reasons to refrain myself from jumping on to HD8xx band wegon and cheer for those braves souls who will bring us the awesome and honest reviews in the future.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #97 of 1,479
...and the Drop HD8XX is live!

https://drop.com/buy/drop-sennheiser-hd-8xx-headphones

052F12C5-1709-486D-BE2B-3D5BE9739C06.jpeg

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #99 of 1,479
Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #100 of 1,479
I recently got an 800S, no regrets, I got a great deal on a mint pair. The $1100 price on the 8XX is not too bad, and the $200 Drop points isn't horrible, although that keeps you stuck in their ecosystem instead of just giving you a $200 discount. But...a 9 month wait for a revised tuning that we have no reviews or insight on? The Drop graphs show an increased bass on the 8XX, but you can achieve that with some mild EQ on the stock 800 and 800S. Having your money sit in Drop's account for 9 months all the while Sennheiser looking to sell their consumer audio brand, a LOT can happen between now and November (assuming Drop keeps true to their estimated ship date, something they are notorious for shifting). Too much uncertainty in my opinion, but perhaps not a bad deal for someone willing to wait and who knows they will for sure use the $200 Drop points on something else.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #103 of 1,479
I kept my HD650 as similar reasoning, which I purchased nearly two decades ago, which still provides hours of enjoyment for how little it costs compared to HD800S. Planar headphones are blessing and curse at the same time--uniquely different sonic signatures between models even from the same company and cost significantly more than dynamic headphones.

Anyways, what I was really hoping was HD82x that produce the intimate midrange/vocal of HD650 and provides full range of performance of HD800S, perhaps adding more bass. Although I don't go purely by frequency response curve, I now have slightly more reasons to refrain myself from jumping on to HD8xx band wegon and cheer for those braves souls who will bring us the awesome and honest reviews in the future.
yeah. I get that about Planars. I am going to make a very deliberate choice there. I almost picked up that Hifiman HE1000 v2 that went for sale. But, I decided patience is a virtue here.

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #104 of 1,479
It's been a while since I listend to a Sennheiser headphone. I've owened the HD580 and HD650, and ultimately moved on because I didn't like the sound signature. How different in the 800(S)?

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #105 of 1,479
So a different audio signature with no advance reviews. No balanced cable. Unknown box. 9 month wait. A little hard to be excited.
No, it's not that bad. It's an enhanced HD800S and a much cheaper price than even the current discounted rates. If you were in the market for an HD800S, this is a good deal.

It's been a while since I listend to a Sennheiser headphone. I've owened the HD580 and HD650, and ultimately moved on because I didn't like the sound signature. How different in the 800(S)?
As different as an Apple is from an Orange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back