Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Apr 25, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #1,291 of 1,479
Apr 25, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #1,292 of 1,479
The Sennheiser 820's are more than 5 times the price of 660S (now $338.26 USD on Amazon). Plus, some people don't like closed back headphones like the 820 for reasons of long term listening comfort.
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-660-Audiophile-Headphone/dp/B076HP574T?th=1
Wow..ok….i didn’t know that. I guess I am just lucky as I don’t have a problem with them listening to them for long periods.
as for the price it’s as usual with high end gear and the principle of least diminishing returns….

May 3, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #1,294 of 1,479
Has anyone compared the HD8XX to the HD820?
Yes, I switch between both often. I don’t have an issue wearing the HD 820 for hours… in fact, the thicker ear pads settle in nicely, and I’ve always loved the 800 series headband. Just learned how to change the headband on my HD 800 this year, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet because I’m listening to the HD 820 and HD 8XX more…

Technically, the open back principle allows for higher performance and a more believably natural sound. However, the HDV 820 sounds less resonant and better able to present depth than my other closed back headphones and most other closed back headphones I’ve tried, while also being able to dampen out the last bit of road noise and lawn-mowing neighbor sound that makes it into my home office, and increasing the sub bass presence fun more than the open back HD 800 and 8XX. It’s not isolating enough to block the sound of a crying baby, which if I have a baby I feel like I ought to continue to be aware of that to some degree, but it is enough to quiet my cat begging at my office door 😾

The HD 8XX is nice because it gives me the space and crispness of my HD 800 while taking the edge off female vocals and other upper mids. My ears are pretty sensitive in this area, so the slightly more laid back presentation is good for me and slightly “hot” recorded songs, but maybe not for people who are less sensitive or prefer more. The shape of our ears will dictate what we actually hear (and our past loves may influence what we prefer:wink:, so YMMV. The other effect of reducing the upper mids a bit is it espouses and emphasizes the small increase in bass a bit more: this is all psychoacoustics, but the upper mids won’t mask the bass as much. In the grand scheme of things, it’s a noticeable but not wild change from the usual HD 800S flavor, and I was one of the ones who appreciated the contrast.

I think Dr Dre sounds like a rapper, but I don’t think he has directed the tuning of headphones for many years.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #1,295 of 1,479
HD8XX checks many boxes and price is great after discount. I like quite everything HD8XX does, bass/treble balance, precise imaging, separation,fatigue free and great soundstage buuuuuuut vocal performance is bonkers, there is no around it. Vocals remain murky and timbre is bit off, dammit, it was so close to success. Tube amplifier provides little bit of band aid by mellowing and forwarding them but far from fix.

Still would pick these over og HD800 sdr modded because no treble fatigue and rock music is not too thin sounding.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #1,296 of 1,479
Wanted to share my EQ profile for the Sennheiser HD8XX and a quick comparison with the HD800s.

Preamp: -8 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain 2 dB Q .71
Filter: ON PK Fc 55 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 2
Filter: ON LS Fc 105 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q .71
Filter: ON PK Fc 210 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q .2
Filter: ON PK Fc 920 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 1
Filter: ON HS Fc 1400 Hz Gain 7 dB Q .8
Filter: ON PK Fc 2100 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 6000 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 6
Filter: ON PK Fc 7700 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 6

(Apply high shelf filter 10000 Hz by -2 dB only if you have a bright amp/dac)

EQ is based on stock HD8XX, no mods. I also have the HD800s and I feel as the HD8XX is better with EQ for myself personally. Fuller vocals, no more unnaturally super wide stage and much better tone overall on the HD8XX vs HD800s sounds dry and bright (unnatural) even with EQ (I'm treble sensitive). HD800s does have better detail retrieval and if I had to put a number on it..... maybe 5-7% better details, after all, both headphones use the same drivers. However, I would gladly sacrifice the 5-7% detail to enjoy the better tone, fuller vocals, and still be a VERY wide staging headphone.

Equipment used: Violectric V100 w/Dac (I believe this amp was used heavily by Sennheiser in creating the OG HD800). I still think this is one of the best amp to use with the HD800 series headphones. Extremely natural sounding amp!

Attachments

• 20220601_172724.jpg
    20220601_172724.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #1,297 of 1,479
Wanted to share my EQ profile for the Sennheiser HD8XX and a quick comparison with the HD800s.

Filter: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain 3 dB Q .71
Filter: ON PK Fc 12000 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 6

EQ is based on stock HD8XX, no mods. I also have the HD800s and I feel as the HD8XX is better with EQ for myself personally. Fuller vocals, no more unnaturally super wide stage and much better tone overall on the HD8XX vs HD800s sounds dry and bright (unnatural) even with EQ (I'm treble sensitive). HD800s does have better detail retrieval and if I had to put a number on it..... maybe 5-7% better details, after all, both headphones use the same drivers. However, I would gladly sacrifice the 5-7% detail to enjoy the better tone, fuller vocals, and still be a VERY wide staging headphone.

Equipment used: Violectric V100 w/Dac (I believe this amp was used heavily by Sennheiser in creating the OG HD800). I still think this is one of the best amp to use with the HD800 series headphones. Extremely natural sounding amp!
Nice dude/dudette. I will give these a try. I do really enjoy the stock 8xx sound though, for me the vocals being slightly back in the mix is a small price to pay for the incredible detail, realistic soundstage and warm sound the 8xx offers.

Have you tried to EQ the 8xx to sound like your 800s? I'd be curious to try it if you have. I've only heard the 800s briefly at a store, never really had a good sit down with them, but from memory I vastly enjoy the 8xx more. 800s are too damn bright, like you I'm sensitive to over the top treble.

If I never saw any reviews or measurements and just tried the 8xx blind, I would have been over the moon. Even going in with that negative bias though, I still ended up loving them.

Jun 2, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #1,298 of 1,479
Nice dude/dudette. I will give these a try. I do really enjoy the stock 8xx sound though, for me the vocals being slightly back in the mix is a small price to pay for the incredible detail, realistic soundstage and warm sound the 8xx offers.

Have you tried to EQ the 8xx to sound like your 800s? I'd be curious to try it if you have. I've only heard the 800s briefly at a store, never really had a good sit down with them, but from memory I vastly enjoy the 8xx more. 800s are too damn bright, like you I'm sensitive to over the top treble.

If I never saw any reviews or measurements and just tried the 8xx blind, I would have been over the moon. Even going in with that negative bias though, I still ended up loving them.
No I didn't try to EQ match it with hd800s as I don't like the hd800s stock at all! In fast I don't like any HD800, 800s or 8xx stock.

However, from what I read, you can EQ the HD8xx to match the hd800s very closely.

Try my EQ, vocals will come a live and positions them right in front of you and I think layering improves dramatically as well while keeping the new "weighted tone/lush" sounds produced by hd8xx.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #1,299 of 1,479

Nice EQ man! Tried Oratory version but it was too muffled and vocals thinned out. Much prefer yours.

Jun 3, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #1,300 of 1,479

Two days with this now and I am safe to say that I love this over the other EQ presets I've tried.

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #1,301 of 1,479
I don't understand all this HD8xx hate. When I got my pair they didn't sound as I expected. But after a month they became my favorite headphones ever. I know lots of people who would use them on a solid state amp, but these needs toobs! I would never listen to HD8xx on a solid state. On a Bottlehead Mainline HD8xx became my #1 headphone.
Also try Dekoni fenestrated pads before you do sticker mods. I love them so much.

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #1,302 of 1,479
I don't understand all this HD8xx hate. When I got my pair they didn't sound as I expected. But after a month they became my favorite headphones ever. I know lots of people who would use them on a solid state amp, but these needs toobs! I would never listen to HD8xx on a solid state. On a Bottlehead Mainline HD8xx became my #1 headphone.
Also try Dekoni fenestrated pads before you do sticker mods. I love them so much.
Cheaper to just EQ them. They work great on a solid state.

Jun 9, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #1,303 of 1,479
Cheaper to just EQ them. They work great on a solid state.
The Dekoni Fenestraited pads do kinda the same to the sound as a sticker mod. I never heard the sticker mod, but from reading here I have the same results.
Solid state could be OK, but HD8xx is always better on toobs, they become live sounding.

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #1,304 of 1,479
I purchased an 8XX on sale after watching a positive review on YouTube. After hearing so much negativity I was somewhat bracing myself for the worst but I’m currently pairing with an Aries II and RNHP headphone amp and they sound really good to my ears without any eq. I’ve got other high-end headphones and they seem to be trading blows in overall quality upon initial listening. I’m also treble sensitive so these could be more my cup of tea than many.

I also hooked up to my Mojo2 & WA6 last night briefly and I got that nice tube affect, I’ll need to listen a little bit more to get better impressions

I did a brief listening test of the 800S a couple years ago and recalled those sounding thin and somewhat lifeless, and these (on this chain) sound engaging, slightly warm and very enjoyable with that nice sennheiser vibe—like a significantly improved hd650.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #1,305 of 1,479
The Dekoni Fenestraited pads do kinda the same to the sound as a sticker mod. I never heard the sticker mod, but from reading here I have the same results.
Solid state could be OK, but HD8xx is always better on toobs, they become live sounding.
What do the fenestrated pads do for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back