Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Apr 14, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #1,261 of 1,479
not to veer off the sticker mod topic....but I am a new owner of the HD-8xx with no listening experience with the 800S ever. Now I am sure there is some intangible knowing that I paid (only?) $700 for a new pair off eBay. My opinion:

Very very good. I have probably lost the ability to hear the nuances in this thread, but these are my first high end cans (unless you count the Koss Pro-4A!!), and the imaging is great, the EQ is to my liking, they are comfortable, and look classy.

I listen mostly off the analog output of my MacBook 14, but I would like to up the power. These new MB's can drive high impedance loads, and its built in DAC is outstanding...but.....I would like some suggestions for an analog amp to put in between that would give a noticeably improvement in sound. I am also open to suggestions of a DAC/amp unit to run via one of the USB-C/Thunderbolt ports. (Actually if I go that route, I would use my new-version iPad Mini as the dedicated source.) Note: for the foreseeable future, my listening will be Amazon HD and (gasp!) XMSirius.

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #1,262 of 1,479
not to veer off the sticker mod topic....but I am a new owner of the HD-8xx with no listening experience with the 800S ever. Now I am sure there is some intangible knowing that I paid (only?) $700 for a new pair off eBay. My opinion:

Very very good. I have probably lost the ability to hear the nuances in this thread, but these are my first high end cans (unless you count the Koss Pro-4A!!), and the imaging is great, the EQ is to my liking, they are comfortable, and look classy.

I listen mostly off the analog output of my MacBook 14, but I would like to up the power. These new MB's can drive high impedance loads, and its built in DAC is outstanding...but.....I would like some suggestions for an analog amp to put in between that would give a noticeably improvement in sound. I am also open to suggestions of a DAC/amp unit to run via one of the USB-C/Thunderbolt ports. (Actually if I go that route, I would use my new-version iPad Mini as the dedicated source.) Note: for the foreseeable future, my listening will be Amazon HD and (gasp!) XMSirius.
Do you have a price range in mind?

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #1,263 of 1,479
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #1,264 of 1,479
amp.....$500.
DAC ..... $750

willing to buy used for better value.
The 8xx is quite fond of tubes. Maybe look for an assembled Bottlehead Crack or a Monoprice Liquid Platinum, which is a hybrid. DAC wise, try with just an amp and the onboard DAC on your Mac first.

Apr 15, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #1,265 of 1,479

Modi multibit + Vali 2+

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #1,267 of 1,479
amp.....$500.
DAC ..... $750

I'll be posting my VMV D1se DAC for sale over the weekend - it's 3 months old, and I'll let it go for $500usd to CONUS L48 shipped (PPFF). I've got everything, including the box, remote, cables, and even a battery for the remote (which was a major annoyance). If you're interested, let me know.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #1,268 of 1,479
amp.....$500.
DAC ..... $750

How about the Fiio K9 Pro? Combo amp/dac with balanced output and many input options including optical and Bluetooth. It's powered by dual THX AAA amps and dual Sabre ES9038PRO DAC chips, all for <$1k. I'm using the K9 Pro with my 8XX and get an incredibly clear, smooth and spacious sound. It's a clear upgrade over my Schiit Jotunheim v1.

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #1,269 of 1,479
so this brings up the question of balanced or not. my understanding is the coming out of the macbook single-ended, there is no need (or maybe not possible) for the amp to input the macbook analog stereo and output balanced to the HD-8xx. I don't even have balanced cables for them....(yet??)

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #1,270 of 1,479
so this brings up the question of balanced or not. my understanding is the coming out of the macbook single-ended, there is no need (or maybe not possible) for the amp to input the macbook analog stereo and output balanced to the HD-8xx. I don't even have balanced cables for them....(yet??)
That is correct. However, with a balanced amp/dac you wouldn't be using the single-ended output, you would be using the USB, so you're bypassing the onboard dac. Most balanced amp/dac combos offer single-ended output as well. If you don't have a balanced headphone cable you could get one from Periapt for around $100.

Apr 15, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #1,271 of 1,479

12/21 I was bidding on a lightly used Senn HD800S here on HeadFi Classifieds, shortly after the HD8XX were announced.

The phones were listed well above $1,100. I was adamant I wouldn't pay more than $1,75.00 (which was the price I payed), or I would reserve one of the Drop 8XX's.

The owner asked one question. "Will you save a couple of bucks to be delivered a questionable headphone in 1 years time"? It was the right question for me, I've really enjoyed the HD800S for the past 15 months.

I'd love to compare a HD8XX to my late model HD800S. It's a favorite phone, perhaps my most favored.

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #1,272 of 1,479
That is correct. However, with a balanced amp/dac you wouldn't be using the single-ended output, you would be using the USB, so you're bypassing the onboard dac. Most balanced amp/dac combos offer single-ended output as well. If you don't have a balanced headphone cable you could get one from Periapt for around $100.
so i am planning to buy an amp (only)...the Burson Funk <?? or overkill) or Gilmore Lite<?>, and try what Dewey suggested: Use the onboard MacBook dac, which seems vey good. If I go the USB-C route through the DAC, then I will use the iPad Mini 6. (I already use two of the three USB / Thunderbolt ports on the MacBook, and prefer not to introduce potential conflict....I am prob dead wrong on that!)

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #1,273 of 1,479
so i am planning to buy an amp (only)...the Burson Funk <?? or overkill) or Gilmore Lite<?>, and try what Dewey suggested: Use the onboard MacBook dac, which seems vey good. If I go the USB-C route through the DAC, then I will use the iPad Mini 6. (I already use two of the three USB / Thunderbolt ports on the MacBook, and prefer not to introduce potential conflict....I am prob dead wrong on that!)
You don't need to spend $750 on a DAC. If you want something good that is reasonably priced, I would look at the iFi Zen DAC Signature V2 at $299. Make sure you get the Signature and the V2 versions. It has USB-3 digital input. Output is balanced (4.4 mm) or unbalanced RCA outputs.
https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-dac-signature-v2/

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #1,274 of 1,479
Going the low-priced route to start: Schiit Magni 3+ (or Heresy...why so many choices??)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back