Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Jun 14, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #1,321 of 1,479
Just wanted to say that I grabbed a pair of these for cheap on ebay and did the sticker mod (just did the top and bottom stickers) and WOW do they sound incredible. Night and day difference with the stickers. These sound like they're worth 2-3x what I paid for them

Jun 15, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #1,324 of 1,479
the trick is there's three layers, the black top layer, a fibrous layer, and the actual adhesive. I think it's best to try to peel back as much of the the fibrous layer as you can while you peel back the black layer, using your nails. Then put a drop of alcohol (I used 90%) on the sticky part, and try to scratch off some of the remaining fibrous layer with your nail. If you don't do this it's hard to wipe up the adhesive. After the fibrous layer has at least been broken, you can use a towel (regular, not paper) soaked in alcohol to work on the adhesive. it takes a lot of rubbing, but I found it helps to support the back side since the metal bits are pretty flexible. Once it's pretty clean, you'll find some of the alcohol/adhesive mixture has soaked through to the other side of the metal, so you'll need to clean that with a clean section of towel soaked in alcohol again

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #1,325 of 1,479
These things are so weird, I've never liked bright headphones (and while they're not that bright) but somehow the highs on these, even if a bit elevated, are smooth and not that fatiguing. I actually find myself having to pay close attention to my listening levels because I just want to keep turning them up.

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #1,326 of 1,479
I found measurements with mods removed. Is there better measurements that's standardized?

Even though this measurement is crappy, I'm convinced the removing of the mods fixes the response.
vsz3xe3kvb091.png

Comparing it with this one should give a better idea. You just look at the range where it's effected.
1640773437333.png

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #1,327 of 1,479
the trick is there's three layers, the black top layer, a fibrous layer, and the actual adhesive. I think it's best to try to peel back as much of the the fibrous layer as you can while you peel back the black layer, using your nails. Then put a drop of alcohol (I used 90%) on the sticky part, and try to scratch off some of the remaining fibrous layer with your nail. If you don't do this it's hard to wipe up the adhesive. After the fibrous layer has at least been broken, you can use a towel (regular, not paper) soaked in alcohol to work on the adhesive. it takes a lot of rubbing, but I found it helps to support the back side since the metal bits are pretty flexible. Once it's pretty clean, you'll find some of the alcohol/adhesive mixture has soaked through to the other side of the metal, so you'll need to clean that with a clean section of towel soaked in alcohol again
How many stickers did you remove? Top and bottom or all 3?

Jun 19, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #1,329 of 1,479
I’ve unfortunately been expeirencing the headband hot spot on my rather large noggin. The ZMF pilot pad makes them too small for my head so I needed a different solution. What I did was: unclip the headband by two clips on either side, leaving the middle clipped in, and insert some foam tubing I had lying around to prop the ends up a bit, adding some more pressure to the sides of the headband and relieving the hotspot. This mod should be totally reversible.

F30D96DE-DB4D-4CDE-A035-A63F9AF069BC.jpeg

If anyone has a 3d printer, one could ostensibly print a pair of wedges that could clip into place on the headband and then clip into the padding on the bottom for a more permanent (but easily reversible) solution.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #1,330 of 1,479
Had a chance to listen to the 8XX and compare on a few amp/dacs including some tubes. I’m really enjoying the sound from the RNHP headphone amplifier with my Ares 2. I think this RNHP specifically fills out the note weight nicely which can otherwise sound too thin and lacking punch on other amps I own. At this point, with this combo, I see no need to mod these headphones for my tastes. I think these may also have nice synergy with my V280 at work which I still need to try.

* Listening more now with my WA6 and Mojo2, sounds good to me. BTW, highly recommend Mojo2!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #1,331 of 1,479
I’ve unfortunately been expeirencing the headband hot spot on my rather large noggin. The ZMF pilot pad makes them too small for my head so I needed a different solution. What I did was: unclip the headband by two clips on either side, leaving the middle clipped in, and insert some foam tubing I had lying around to prop the ends up a bit, adding some more pressure to the sides of the headband and relieving the hotspot. This mod should be totally reversible.

If anyone has a 3d printer, one could ostensibly print a pair of wedges that could clip into place on the headband and then clip into the padding on the bottom for a more permanent (but easily reversible) solution.
I adjusted my headband so the headphone sits higher on my head, seems to be helping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back