Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Mar 11, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #347 of 1,479
I'm not into horse trading that I will buy stuff and sell stuff.

Give me a good price and call it a day. I can get the HD800S for under USD1300 all day long with local warranty, balanced cable and zero wait with a phone call or an email to most local sellers. I picked both the Sony Z1Rs locally for a solid $600 combined discount from retail price recently with just a conversation. Happy to oblige if you are in the market for the same and you will see the discount on the invoice. its not my fault you lack negotiation and interpersonal skills.

I already own the HD800/HD820 from brand new so why would I buy used? Are you thick or something?
This. This is how I got literally right now looking at over $500 in discounts direct from manufacturers easily posting crappy review on this forum nobody asked for or wanted and having people literally vote on the items I bought so no cherrypicking deals. crap I recently called a company to ask them to give me 50% off an item since the second hand price is so low.

Reminds me of an old job I had, the guy working at the front desk was like most young kids and wouldn't make a phonecall to save his life he would text clients if they gave him an option I was in the back tinkering with computers all day and the boss would ask me to call the internet company, vendors, and do pricing on all the PC's he bought because I would just pick up the damn phone and start throwing verbal punches left and right like it was second nature...

Hell I have called chief officers/presidents/vice presidents of multiple (and very very large)companies I am 100% you have heard of and put them right on the spot if need be, you will be surprised how quickly crap moves thru the goose when you do something as simple as call a chief officer and leave a message on their personal cellphone explaining why an employee is misbehaving and why it's about to be their problem if it doesn't stop ASAP.

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #348 of 1,479
More than half the time of all Z's youtube reviews are spent mostly talking about crap instead of reviewing the headphones itself. Of all reviewers out there he is the biggest pinch of salt i've ever seen.

Yup, they are entertainers/promoters/advertisers not professionals like Tyll.

Zeos seems like he might suffer from tardive dyskinesia based on his camera movements.

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #349 of 1,479
This. This is how I got literally right now looking at over $500 in discounts direct from manufacturers easily posting crappy review on this forum nobody asked for or wanted and having people literally vote on the items I bought so no cherrypicking deals. crap I recently called a company to ask them to give me 50% off an item since the second hand price is so low.

Reminds me of an old job I had, the guy working at the front desk was like most young kids and wouldn't make a phonecall to save his life he would text clients if they gave him an option I was in the back tinkering with computers all day and the boss would ask me to call the internet company, vendors, and do pricing on all the PC's he bought because I would just pick up the damn phone and start throwing verbal punches left and right like it was second nature...

Hell I have called chief officers/presidents/vice presidents of multiple (and very very large)companies I am 100% you have heard of and put them right on the spot if need be, you will be surprised how quickly crap moves thru the goose when you do something as simple as call a chief officer and leave a message on their personal cellphone explaining why an employee is misbehaving and why it's about to be their problem if it doesn't stop ASAP.

A handwritten and registered letter addressed to a CEO's office or a State Government officer is the equivalent of DEFCON 1 even today.

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #350 of 1,479
More than half the time of all Z's youtube reviews are spent mostly talking about crap instead of reviewing the headphones itself. Of all reviewers out there he is the biggest pinch of salt i've ever seen.

I actually like that about Zeos because he focuses on important things that a lot of other reviewers ignore.

For example, when reviewing a Grado, he talked about how the cups swivel 360 degrees which over time, results in the wire being twisted, and due to the stiffness of the wire, these twists cause the wire to bend and press against your cheek, which is annoying.

Every single Grado owner can relate to that, and yet virtually no other reviewers talk about it.

Zeos talks about the sound of course, but he doesn’t sound like a wine connoisseur when he does. It’s more in generalized terms regarding what he likes and what he doesn’t like. Instead of doing the wine connoisseur thing, he talks about small quality of life things like that wire thing, and I find that to be incredibly useful in a headphone review.

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #351 of 1,479
I'm not into horse trading that I will buy stuff and sell stuff.

Give me a good price and call it a day. I can get the HD800S for under USD1300 all day long with local warranty, balanced cable and zero wait with a phone call or an email to most local sellers. I picked both the Sony Z1Rs locally for a solid $600 combined discount from retail price recently with just a conversation. Happy to oblige if you are in the market for the same and you will see the discount on the invoice. its not my fault you lack negotiation and interpersonal skills.

I already own the HD800/HD820 from brand new so why would I buy used? Are you thick or something?
...and you would still be paying more than the MSRP for the HD8XX. What is your point?

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #352 of 1,479
I actually like that about Zeos because he focuses on important things that a lot of other reviewers ignore.

For example, when reviewing a Grado, he talked about how the cups swivel 360 degrees which over time, results in the wire being twisted, and due to the stiffness of the wire, these twists cause the wire to bend and press against your cheek, which is annoying.

Every single Grado owner can relate to that, and yet virtually no other reviewers talk about it.

Zeos talks about the sound of course, but he doesn’t sound like a wine connoisseur when he does. It’s more in generalized terms regarding what he likes and what he doesn’t like. Instead of doing the wine connoisseur thing, he talks about small quality of life things like that wire thing, and I find that to be incredibly useful in a headphone review.

lol he hardly describes the technical aspects of the sound, tonality, staging, imaging, comparisons, etc. All he does is describe his feelings when hearing the headphones and starts rambling on whatever crap passes through his mind. His "technical review" actually lasts for less than 5 mins while the rest of his remaining 5-15 mins are draggy ramblings.
If i'm serious about purchasing a headphone, he would be the last person i'd read/watch a review on a headphone/IEM. I'd still be clueless on how it'll sound compared to other similar tier models.

Mar 11, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #353 of 1,479
...and you would still be paying more than the MSRP for the HD8XX. What is your point?

That the discount isn't sufficient to forego local warranty, extra cables and the wait. I'm happy to compromise but not at the offered price.

I'm not against the idea of the HD8XX, just not at this price and the sales are an indication. At $1200, it's not even worth bothering with considering Drops history.

If this was an IPO by a big company, it would be considered a massive flop.

Mar 11, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #354 of 1,479
Critics of pricing seems to be so fixated on this lacking cable, yet none of them seems to think that $300 for a cable in itself is outrageous.

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #356 of 1,479
Critics of pricing seems to be so fixated on this lacking cable, yet none of them seems to think that $300 for a cable in itself is outrageous.

$300 for a cable is outrageous? Nowadays “flagship” IEM cables alone costs from $1,000-2,000+ lol

“Audiophile” prices itself is already outrageous for a long time now

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #357 of 1,479
Caveat: I own the HD800S.

1. I find it strange to not allow showcasing how the prototype looks.. if It’s already production level sound, isn’t it in a 800S frame? Can’t figure out why..

2. We are all in this “audiophile” journey opting to pay 1000s more to eke out that extra 1% better sound.. price isn’t the issue here when choosing 8XX or 800 or 800S..

3. I’m very happy with the 800S. Minor differences are like differences in how i place the ear cups or tilt the headbands… I’m not going to bother.

4. I EQ my gear when I want “perfection”. These are never going on the road.. always at a desk at work or at home where I can do that (EQ) if I want to.

For everyone else who are looking to join the 800 family, this is a good opportunity. The price is great! For those who already own 1, just go chase other headphones that have a different signature, or upgrade some cables or something.. let the new comers have their chance to own a piece of these fantastic family of headphones!

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #358 of 1,479
Caveat: I own the HD800S.

1. I find it strange to not allow showcasing how the prototype looks.. if It’s already production level sound, isn’t it in a 800S frame? Can’t figure out why..
Could be because it is a pre-production unit and not the same as the final product and because it is being sent to several reviewers who might give it dings and make the product seem less appealing.

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #359 of 1,479
Could be because it is a pre-production unit and not the same as the final product and because it is being sent to several reviewers who might give it dings and make the product seem less appealing.
U usually just add a disclaimer that this is a pre-production product.. and reviewers are professional enough not to pick at the looks and concentrate on sound… It’s just strange frankly.. which is why I think Josh went into so much explanation at the beginning of his video.. it’s not normal..

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #360 of 1,479
U usually just add a disclaimer that this is a pre-production product.. and reviewers are professional enough not to pick at the looks and concentrate on sound… It’s just strange frankly.. which is why I think Josh went into so much explanation at the beginning of his video.. it’s not normal..
It is called a media embargo and they are normal. See Nvidia their 3000 series & AMD Ryzen releases for examples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back