Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Mar 10, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #331 of 1,479
Curious if the youtuber in question is considered the reigning champion of shilling headphones on youtube?

People in this community can at times accuse reviewers of shilling.

I would like to suggest that, at many times, YouTubers are sharing opinions on products that are honestly very good. We live in a time when “hifi” is now achievable with extremely low price to enter market. In the last few decades we have seen vast improvements to access and affordability to gear that can produce sound quality of our highest standards.

There has been a surge in great products too even most recently (last few years). “Chifi,” for example, have been recent success stories in popularity for their head/earphones.

When a YouTuber, or you or I, could pick up just about any modern headphone and find something enjoyable to them, then it shouldn’t surprise us in the community so much when people are saying good things when they pick up so much great stuff these days.

HifiMan Susvara, Arya, Sundara, 4XX/5XX, Focal Elex, UniqueMelody Mest, anything Moondrop (Blessing 2, Starfield, etc.), amps/DACS (don't get me started on how many of those we've had to keep up with in such a short few years of constant releases.

Reviewers, and us too, are picking up these headphones and genuinely enjoying every headphone mentioned here. Many of us may feel at times the chance that the reviewer is overhyping something. But... even if bias is suspected, we can plainly see how members in the community feel about the gear when they try it themselves. We have seen community love of all the above products.

Point is, so much of the products reviewers receive are indeed very good for many, or at least a solid minority, of people in almost every case that they are seen praising a product. In terms of the ultimate hyper right now, it's definitely not Josh Valour guys....it's Zeos. lol, Zeos is a madman we have fun with along with his audio vlogging (his reviews are basically vlogs and I love it). Zeos has been on the mark with gear enjoyment for many many viewers who have bought his stuff.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #332 of 1,479
I think someone pissed in his Cheerios. He’s been extremely bitter throughout this thread, looks for every opportunity to bash the headphone, and even with Josh Valour’s largely positive first impression video of the 8xx, he still managed to find a way to spin Valour’s video and make it sound negative.

Valour said it’s an unequivocal upgrade over the 800 and is only maybe $100-$200 worse than the 800s (for $300 to $500 cheaper), and yet ToniChopper took one phrase out of context, bolded it, made it large text, and is plastering it everywhere.

He has some weird axe to grind and is looking for excuses to bash the 8xx.
I don't understand how someone can be so angry about a headphone that they have no intention of buying? He even created a thread just to whine about it. I guess he has nothing better to do with his time.

Mar 10, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #333 of 1,479
Curious if the youtuber in question is considered the reigning champion of shilling headphones on youtube? He's had the ambition know doubt and seems to have learned a lot about headphones, but I'm not sure his opinion carries a lot of weight yet for a lot of enthusiasts. Credit to his personality though he is likable.
If you actually watched the review carefully I don't see how he shills anything

Mar 10, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #334 of 1,479
Sometimes I’m torn on what to think of Josh Valour’s videos.

He seems like a really nice guy, he’s knowledgeable, he’s passionate, and his production quality is excellent. And yet his reviews sometimes feel like I’m reading the label on a Scotch bottle.

In other words, he goes into such detail in describing certain subjective things, that I wonder if he’s describing the product itself or if it’s partly just embellishing with his own creative flourishes.

There are a bunch of reviewers like that, where they go into such depth with the subjective characterizations that I don’t know if they’re even describing the product anymore or if they’ve crossed into creative writing territory. This is typically something you see more with artistic endeavors like music or culinary reviews, but it seems to have made its way into tech as well.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #335 of 1,479
I sold my heavily used 800 for $750. Effectively paid $150-200 at most taking into account the Drop points to upgrade from a 7 year old headphone that had a broken metal headband. Now I have a cheap top end headphone for gaming and one as a spare.

To the people bringing up the cable differences, you're (in 99% of cases) not working in a professional studio with masses of audio gear, 10m cables and potential interference. You're not going to hear any difference at all in a double blind. You don't *need* balanced cables and you won't be able to hear the difference. Sorry.

The pad change idea I just totally disagree with, in my experience Dekonis which are the standard swap take a heavily noticeable change to the soundstage and way imaging is perceived. Any muting of the treble peak comes across more as muffling than what a basic EQ program or something like an ADI DAC can achieve. In terms of adding bass, this would only be perceived due to the function of adding muffling or muting areas of the treble, not literally increasing the bass. On top of that they're undeniably less comfortable.

On Josh's review, I see 90% positive with an acknowledgement that these aren't a game changer and that the price was maybe a hair too high. But at the end of the day, for genuine buyers another $100 likely wouldn't have made a huge difference.

Genuine buyer waiting here, not paying $1100.

Didn't care about any points buying any headphone ever, (HD800/820 included) and still don't care about points.

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #337 of 1,479
*** at 6:30 in the video he (probably mistakenly) assumes Drop tuned them after getting the bones from Sennheiser since Senn is quitting consumer headphones.

I would place a lot more faith in Senn than Drop to tune them since one of them knows how to build and tune a headphone.

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #338 of 1,479
More than half the time of all Z's youtube reviews are spent mostly talking about crap instead of reviewing the headphones itself. Of all reviewers out there he is the biggest pinch of salt i've ever seen.

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #339 of 1,479
Genuine buyer waiting here, not paying $1100.

Didn't care about any points buying any headphone ever, (HD800/820 included) and still don't care about points.
Then you're not a genuine buyer or you're completely delusional. You could literally sell an HD58x for $150 brand new within a week. You don't care about points but you do think that a $300 minimum discount off the HD800s isn't enough? If you're expecting more than a 43% discount which roughly equates the Drop points from a flagship headphone that is still well-liked, you aren't a genuine buyer. You're delusional. Just buy a used pair someone has rubbed their coronavirus infested head on for a higher price than a brand new HD8xx and EQ it.

I guess you're also a HE1 "buyer" too, all they have to do is drop the price from 50k to 1k and you'll be first in line.

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #340 of 1,479
Sometimes I’m torn on what to think of Josh Valour’s videos.

He seems like a really nice guy, he’s knowledgeable, he’s passionate, and his production quality is excellent. And yet his reviews sometimes feel like I’m reading the label on a Scotch bottle.

In other words, he goes into such detail in describing certain subjective things, that I wonder if he’s describing the product itself or if it’s partly just embellishing with his own creative flourishes.

There are a bunch of reviewers like that, where they go into such depth with the subjective characterizations that I don’t know if they’re even describing the product anymore or if they’ve crossed into creative writing territory. This is typically something you see more with artistic endeavors like music or culinary reviews, but it seems to have made its way into tech as well.
You just described Z, Josh, DMS, Max Settings as well as a couple of other jootoobers doing ‘audio reviews’.
It’s like a John Goodman reviewing ballet.

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #342 of 1,479
Curious if the youtuber in question is considered the reigning champion of shilling headphones on youtube? He's had the ambition know doubt and seems to have learned a lot about headphones, but I'm not sure his opinion carries a lot of weight yet for a lot of enthusiasts. Credit to his personality though he is likable.
love zeos but that's zeos job josh gets paid shilling drop and still ripped into the panda his video review was critical but he posted on drops website a far more favorable review as damage control, hes on a dark path but I trust him more than zeos who I like better

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #344 of 1,479
*** at 6:30 in the video he (probably mistakenly) assumes Drop tuned them after getting the bones from Sennheiser since Senn is quitting consumer headphones.
Did you even read Jude's interview with the Sennheiser's? They are not "quitting" the consumer electronics business; they are looking for an investment partner to expand.

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #345 of 1,479
Then you're not a genuine buyer or you're completely delusional. You could literally sell an HD58x for $150 brand new within a week. You don't care about points but you do think that a $300 minimum discount off the HD800s isn't enough? If you're expecting more than a 43% discount which roughly equates the Drop points from a flagship headphone that is still well-liked, you aren't a genuine buyer. You're delusional. Just buy a used pair someone has rubbed their coronavirus infested head on for a higher price than a brand new HD8xx and EQ it.

I guess you're also a HE1 "buyer" too, all they have to do is drop the price from 50k to 1k and you'll be first in line.

I'm not into horse trading that I will buy stuff and sell stuff.

Give me a good price and call it a day. I can get the HD800S for under USD1300 all day long with local warranty, balanced cable and zero wait with a phone call or an email to most local sellers. I picked both the Sony Z1Rs locally for a solid $600 combined discount from retail price recently with just a conversation. Happy to oblige if you are in the market for the same and you will see the discount on the invoice. its not my fault you lack negotiation and interpersonal skills.

I already own the HD800/HD820 from brand new so why would I buy used? Are you thick or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back