Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Feb 19, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #196 of 1,479
Here is a different question. Given what we know now, at what price would you make a purchase even with all of the current knowns (no balanced cable) and unknowns (is the tuning an actual improvement over the HD800S)?

I think I would buy them as it with deliver no sooner than 12/1/21 if they were priced at $700. If the reviews come back and says that the tuning of the HD8XX is better than the Focal Utopia, I would probably be willing to pay full asking of $1100.

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #197 of 1,479
Here is a different question. Given what we know now, at what price would you make a purchase even with all of the current knowns (no balanced cable) and unknowns (is the tuning an actual improvement over the HD800S)?

I think I would buy them as it with deliver no sooner than 12/1/21 if they were priced at $700. If the reviews come back and says that the tuning of the HD8XX is better than the Focal Utopia, I would probably be willing to pay full asking of $1100.
Knowing what we know as far as warranty (or lack thereof technically as far as repair is concerned) and no balanced cable...if it isn't an HD820 level tuning and they succeeded at improving the 800s...I'd pay $800. At that price worst case scenario: I can consider it a potentially expensive rental of a very nice pair of headphones for 2 years. Best case scenario they last forever without failure and I got a deal.

Any more than $800 and we're getting too close to new, warrantied 800s territory, especially once you factor in at least $300 for a balanced cable (or more if you want something better).

Doubt they care though, since while it hasn't sold out it doesn't seem to be doing too bad sales-wise. 476 sold (out of 3k) a little over 27hrs later. Still 28 days to go so I'm sure this will sell out easily once people get paid or if they get another stimulus in the states.

I'll probably end up with one eventually (if the reviews are positive and long term reliability is established), but probably a couple years down the line when they hit B&S for cheap(er).

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #198 of 1,479
Will responded to my post-warranty coverage question - as follows:

"If you want to pay for out of warranty service, I'd start with Sennheiser service and go from there. Our arrangement with them is around warranty request coverage; I don't see any reason they would refuse paid service on the product. DROP offers warranty support via replacements, our warehouse in NJ is not a headphone repair facility."

That answer really helps clear things up, at least for me. They way he initially responded it almost sounded like we wouldn't be able to get service from Sennheiser after the warranty expired - but that clearly isn't the case.

I am fine dealing directly with Drop for warranty replacements, but I didn't want to be forced to go to an independent shop after the warranty expires. I suspect Drop "masking" the manufacturers from direct end user post-sale issues is part of why they get better pricing on products.

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #199 of 1,479

"If you want to pay for out of warranty service, I'd start with Sennheiser service and go from there. Our arrangement with them is around warranty request coverage; I don't see any reason they would refuse paid service on the product. DROP offers warranty support via replacements, our warehouse in NJ is not a headphone repair facility."

That answer really helps clear things up, at least for me. They way he initially responded it almost sounded like we wouldn't be able to get service from Sennheiser after the warranty expired - but that clearly isn't the case.

I am fine dealing directly with Drop for warranty replacements, but I didn't want to be forced to go to an independent shop after the warranty expires. I suspect Drop "masking" the manufacturers from direct end user post-sale issues is part of why they get better pricing on products.
Well it still is unclear if Sennheiser is offering paid service after warranty expires.
If they do, the biggest issue would be solved

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #200 of 1,479
Well it still is unclear if Sennheiser is offering paid service after warranty expires.
If they do, the biggest issue would be solved
I would assume Sennheiser could care less where you bought it from once the warranty expires. Most headphones are a pretty easy DIY fix anyway, but based on Will's comments it doesn't sound like Sennheiser will be leaving us "out in the cold" once the warranty expires. I know I have had no issues ordering parts from them in the past, and they never asked me where I bought it from once I gave them the serial number and they verified it was out of warranty. There repair policies are pretty clearly stated here: https://service.sennheiserusa.com/

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #201 of 1,479
I generally have no problem with Drop, they've always been very fair, communicative and easy to work with. But I'm not overjoyed with Drop using Sennheiser name to shift a product in masses and Sennheiser using Drop to do it, when neither are offering an extended warranty option.

Nice to see you're still here, fighting the good fight.

It's a hopeful answer from Will, but
1. I'm a bit surprised this wasn't discussed at all. $1200x3000units = $3.6mil. I would think with such a large sale they would have discussed this a bit more, because
2. If the driver is truly different, will Sennheiser stock this "new and improved" driver for repairs or will they have to replace it with HD800s drivers? What if the housing breaks? Are they going to transplant the HD8xx drivers into the HD800s frame or just give you a pair of HD800s?

Either way, I'm glad people are paying more attention to the longevity of their headphones. What kind of support is available for your headphones 5-10 years down the road (after warranty) should be a consideration for everyone and I hope manufacturers will continue to feel the heat to support their products.

Now hopefully people will start being more vocal about Focal's dismal support.

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #202 of 1,479

Problem is no one has heard directly from Sennheiser about this. Will says one thing, then contradicts himself 10 minutes later. He has literally said "Sennheiser wants nothing to do with this" and that they won't under any circumstances repair. Drop says for example that HD6XX's are covered by Sennheiser, and early on it appeared to be true, but recently I've seen several posts by people stating that Sennheiser refuses to service them (or any product sold by Drop). Too much confusion at this point.

Also, "I'd start with Sennheiser svc and go from there" isn't really acknowledging that they will service them...he's just saying to start from there and basically see what happens. I can suggest someone start with DM'ing Alexandra Daddario for a date and go from there...but that doesn't mean she's going out with you. If anything his comment reads like he's tired of answering warranty repair questions and is just trying to brush you off and have you go bother someone else.

Even in Sennheiser's sponsored post they neglect to mention any willingness to repair. If they (Sennheiser) openly admits to being open to paid repair after warranty expires then that is a major change and these are suddenly a viable option. Until then I take anything Drop says with a grain of salt given their history.

Simple solution would be for Drop and Senn to get on the same page, and both post a statement regarding their stance. Drop obviously handles in warranty issue with exchange (which is plenty fair IMO) but Sennheiser is the unknown. If they can just come out and say "Hey, we're going to keep parts on hand and will service these for a fee after your warranty with Drop expires" then that's a major hurdle crossed and would likely result in far more sales. I was all set to buy yesterday but went in another direction. Still might revisit if I know that in 4 or 5 years if a driver fails I can be sure there's parts available and I can pay out of pocket to have it fixed.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #203 of 1,479
I would assume Sennheiser could care less where you bought it from once the warranty expires. Most headphones are a pretty easy DIY fix anyway, but based on Will's comments it doesn't sound like Sennheiser will be leaving us "out in the cold" once the warranty expires. I know I have had no issues ordering parts from them in the past, and they never asked me where I bought it from once I gave them the serial number and they verified it was out of warranty. There repair policies are pretty clearly stated here: https://service.sennheiserusa.com/
However the 8xx isn't a product of their regular lineup, so maybe they don't keep replacement drivers for them readily available.

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #204 of 1,479
Problem is no one has heard directly from Sennheiser about this. Will says one thing, then contradicts himself 10 minutes later. He has literally said "Sennheiser wants nothing to do with this" and that they won't under any circumstances repair. Drop says for example that HD6XX's are covered by Sennheiser, and early on it appeared to be true, but recently I've seen several posts by people stating that Sennheiser refuses to service them (or any product sold by Drop). Too much confusion at this point.

Also, "I'd start with Sennheiser svc and go from there" isn't really acknowledging that they will service them...he's just saying to start from there and basically see what happens. I can suggest someone start with DM'ing Alexandra Daddario for a date and go from there...but that doesn't mean she's going out with you. If anything his comment reads like he's tired of answering warranty repair questions and is just trying to brush you off and have you go bother someone else.
I think you're onto something here because I did DM Alexandra Daddario for a date and she didn't go out with me. So much for the power of wishful thinking.

Feb 20, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #205 of 1,479
they deleted all the critical comments for fluff and said it was "trolling"
drop is scum
How do you like your 6xx? LOL

Feb 20, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #206 of 1,479
At the risk of being roasted here... People have a right to feel disappointed in something, just as they have the right to be happy about something... But, is it just me, or is the undertone of many (not all, of course!) comments one of posters feeling that they had a RIGHT to (a) lower cost, and/or (b) sooner shipment, and/or (c) different sound signature? That comes across not from the more eloquently stated arguments, but from the more strident or derisive ones... As consumers - I suspect in any country in the world - we do not have the right to any of those things from Drop.

Let’s keep in mind that there are many other lower cost headphones that ship almost immediately and with a diversity of sound signatures.

OK, flame on.

Feb 20, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #207 of 1,479
I went ahead and purchased it since I was in the market for an in- office balanced headphone for the post-pandemic.

It would be great if it came with 4 pin cable or TRRS cable and certainly hope that Sennheiser and Massdrop change their mind on the cable issue.

Feb 22, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #209 of 1,479
Sales are just about to cross 600. It’s 598 at the time of this post.

That’s 20% of the 3000 unit preorder. That can’t be good, can it?

Hopefully it picks up, as I want to see these types of collabs succeed (especially with Sennheiser, which I love), but I can’t imagine this is going as well as Drop would have liked so far.

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #210 of 1,479
Sales are just about to cross 600. It’s 598 at the time of this post.

That’s 20% of the 3000 unit preorder. That can’t be good, can it?

Hopefully it picks up, as I want to see these types of collabs succeed (especially with Sennheiser, which I love), but I can’t imagine this is going as well as Drop would have liked so far.
That's also more than half a million in the pocket... How many of those 600 are current 800S owners I wonder? Sennheiser would be laughing their way to the bank... reselling the same headphone 3 times...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back