Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jan 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #1,594 of 2,001

Quote:
Been drinking the Sweetwater seasonal beers lately.  The Christmas one was great, the New Years one (Happy Ending) not so much.  I love IPA, but this one was so thick it could be a milkshake.  10% ABV though
beerchug.gif

I've never been a huge fan of Sweetwater even though it's local, what was the xmas one?

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #1,595 of 2,001
dsc6628h.jpg

Trade Route Brewing - Hoppy Bitch IPA (6.3% ABV, OG 15 plato, IBU 60)
- Nice Columbus Hops aromatics ... Mmmmm
- Slightly velvety smooth, medium body mouthy feel
- Clean hoppy bitterness, not very bitter, or flowery/sweet
- Finish/aftertaste has a trailing citrus/metallic like bitterness
- This is a bit of an odd one .. I was expecting something different .. like Stone IPA .. nope
- I'll have to try this again to see if its a bug batch .. 6.5/10

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #1,596 of 2,001
Probably not a bad batch, probably just a bad beer. The gimmicky labeling aimed towards the female audience is indicative of bad beer, usually. Now don't mistake that for bad design meaning bad beer in general though, most good brewers have ****ty sense of style.

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,598 of 2,001

Quote:
I've never been a huge fan of Sweetwater even though it's local, what was the xmas one?

It's called Sweetwater festive.  They only make it one day a year, a couple days before Christmas.  All the stores around me that had it were sold out a day or two after receiving the stock.  I'm not a beer connoisseur so I can't describe the taste very well, but imagine a mildly bitter pale ale with hints of chocolate, caramel, and a little bit of citrus.  It sounds a bit odd reading this, but it tastes wonderful
beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #1,599 of 2,001

Deschutes Brewery Jubelale 2011, beer pours a deep amber color with the a thick amber color head that lasts and laces the glass quite well. Has aromas of carmel, cinnamon, and dates. Medium mouthfeel with flavours carmel, malts, and raisin. Has a initial sweet taste and finishes with a mild hop bitterness. A well balanced Xmas brew and one to look foward to every year.

Anchor Brewing Merry Christmas & Happy New Years 2011, beer pours deep brown almost black with nice brown head and lacing on the glass. Aromas of roasted malt, spices, and plums can also be found in it's flavours. Has a medium mouthfeel and finishes a bit on the dry side with a mild bite. Enjoyable seasonal beer.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #1,600 of 2,001

Quote:

It's called Sweetwater festive.  They only make it one day a year, a couple days before Christmas.  All the stores around me that had it were sold out a day or two after receiving the stock.  I'm not a beer connoisseur so I can't describe the taste very well, but imagine a mildly bitter pale ale with hints of chocolate, caramel, and a little bit of citrus.  It sounds a bit odd reading this, but it tastes wonderful
beerchug.gif

Hmm, does sound a little odd in description, but certainly worth trying! There's a few stores around ATL where the uncommon stuff stays on the shelves longer, so I'll poke around a bit, and worst case just have to remember it for next year.

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #1,602 of 2,001
Found a bottle of Delerium Noel at the store yesterday - all I can say is "meh."  Tastes exactly like a Nocturnum with added ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and brown sugar.  And it really is super sweet, to an unpleasant level. 

This beer clearly rides on the reputation of its Nocturnum and Tremens brothers

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #1,603 of 2,001
Yeah I agree with your opinion Doug, the Noel was nothing special. I'm not a huge fan of the Tremens though, but I guess I should try out the Nocturnum sometime. Definitely many better, cheaper holiday beers.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #1,604 of 2,001

Quote:
Any good brown ale recommendations? I recently turned 21 and have just discovered the awesomeness of craft beer.

Dogfish Head maybe, but as a whole I've never cared for any brown ales.

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,605 of 2,001
Dogfish Head's Indian Brown Ale is very good, one of my favorites of their less funky offerings. It's not really a micro-brew but Newcastle Brown ale has always been very satisfying to me, especially if you can find it on tap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back