Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Feb 8, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #1,141 of 2,001

Quote:
I hear a lot about this Hopslam Ale.

I just went through a 6 pack of that two weeks ago.  While great, not sure I feel like dropping $18 every time I want it.  And I can't seem to find the 22 oz anywhere anymore.

If you like a floral IPA and since you can get Founder's, try their Centennial, that's a goodie.  So is Racer 5, but I can't remember who makes that.

Drinking my last Founders Double Troub right nah.  
beerchug.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #1,142 of 2,001
Well in fact I dislike floral IPA's a lot lol. I like a lot of founders stuff and have not actually tired the Centennial yet. But the Double Trouble is very good. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,144 of 2,001

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations, will try some of them if I can get them here in Holland (shouldn't be a problem for at least some of them), have to say I didn't drank any of those listed except for some of the 'tv-beers'. When I buy normal 'pils/lager', the supermarket available Warsteiner is still better then Heineken.

I can appreciate smokey beers. Only beers I really can't stand are 'fruit beers'
I'm especially fond of stouts and (smokey) porters these days, but always open to new discoveries. 

These "TV-beers" are advertized on TV, thus the name, and are availlable in every store. They are made to suit all people, without any edges, any real unique taste. I find them flat and boring, especially Holsten. So, the netherlands... had something horrible from there once called Grolsch but that's all. As a warning: do NEVER buy, drink or even touch Oettinger, it is the most horrible thing to be found in german stores. I'd imagine Becks to be our equivalent to Heineken - it's everywhere. 

Had once again a fine czech lager today, Krušovice! It propably was the best dark I ever tasted, absolutely delicious. I'd recommend it highly.  

We get some really nice and fresh draft Krušovice Pils here in Cleveland but I've never had the dark.

I find that much of the bottled beer that comes across the pond is old and going stale.  I've been on 2 beer drinking trips to Belgium, Germany, & the Czech Republic and now that I know what it is supposed to taste like I'm usually disappointed with the imports.

It's always best to drink locally made beer.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #1,146 of 2,001
Feb 11, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #1,148 of 2,001
Came back from Bruges and what a beautiful city it is. It is amazing how literally every building is close to 450 years old. Also, I visited brewery "De halve maan" (The half moon). Here are some pictures that I thought I would share with you. :)

This was part of the old brewing routine. It was used to fill bottles up. The opposite of what most of you do. :wink:

This thing is a beer cooler from 1937, so it's pretty cool. :) The beer needs to cool down to 15 degrees centigrade for the fermentation process. The beer would run on the outside of this thing with cool water running through it.

These are vats of 6000 liters where the beer could mature for ~6 weeks. The funny thing is that these things were cleaned without the use of any machines. Usually boys around 16 years old went into these, cleaned them, and got tipsy from all the alcoholic vapours in them. :wink:

Here of course the reward. :)

And I got myself one of these beauties.

The Brugse Zot Blond was a nice beer that I enjoyed more than the Brugse Zot Dubbel I got a couple of days ago. I think both the Zots are not very full, but they have a nice bitter and spicy taste to them.

I didn't have the Straffe Hendrik Tripel, but did have the Quadrupel at 12 mid-day (the gf got a little tipsy of it :wink:). A nice dark beer which also has the spicy taste of the Zot but with a very full, though soft body.

Unfortunately the "Brugs Beertje" was closed, but we visited the "Bierbrasserij" which had around 400 beers. The meat I had there was even made in beer. :wink: I had a Augustijn Grand Cru there (good, but not too special imo) and a Kwak which I never had before but I was very curious about. The Kwak is sweet but in a good way. A very distinct beer that I really liked.

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #1,149 of 2,001
Nice apatN :)

Some pics I made years ago:

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #1,150 of 2,001
Great! It looks slightly different when I was there. In the third picture they only had the glass in the front (and another one like that) but not the beers against the wall. I wonder why they removed some of the stuff. The tour was fun though, wasn't it? :)

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #1,151 of 2,001
Yeah, definitely was fun. I drank the Straffe Hendrik afterwards.
Did you have the same woman from the 1st picture?

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #1,153 of 2,001
hehe, sorry, the woman in the 1st pic gave us the tour, the one in the 2nd pic is mine, my own, my precious:p

Picture is 8,9 years ago

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #1,155 of 2,001

Quote:
hehe, sorry, the woman in the 1st pic gave us the tour, the one in the 2nd pic is mine, my own, my precious:p

Picture is 8,9 years ago

"She has been called that before, but not by you" or so a great wizard once said. 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back