Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Feb 7, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #1,127 of 2,001
I almost feel like Founder's and Unibroue are enough to solidify North America on the world's beer stage. And that's neglecting the maybe hundreds of other worthy craft breweries we have that I haven't had the fortune to try.

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #1,129 of 2,001

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Got some nice Czech dark here, so far it tastes quite enjoyable. I had better dark beers though. Fun fact: it says "bohemian" on the etikett but the place it's made is in Moravia. 

American Weizen? The stereotype here goes that americans and beer is like the french and war. 
wink.gif

I drank several beers from many countries and honestly, I liked the Belgians, English and also some very fine US beers more then the German ones. Germans have some very nice lagers/pilseners, but I couldn't find very nice 'special' beers. Offcourse it's all about one's own taste, very subjective.

The stereotype here goes that many Germans are very (maybe overly) fond of everything that's from Germany
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Yep, we do like our cars. But seriously, there's a lot of smaller breweries, especially in the south, that make excellent wheat beers. One quick advice: stay the *** away from becks, Krombacher and the other TV-beers. They suck, especially becks, they really suck. One I'd recommend is the Aventinus Weizenbock dunkel. Or Kölsch, a speciality from Cologne... I hate it but opinions differ. Or Schlenkerla Rauchbier, made from smoked barley...there are hundreds of kinds. Especially the smoked stuff can be great - or you hate it instantly. 

Thanks for the recommendations, will try some of them if I can get them here in Holland (shouldn't be a problem for at least some of them), have to say I didn't drank any of those listed except for some of the 'tv-beers'. When I buy normal 'pils/lager', the supermarket available Warsteiner is still better then Heineken.

I can appreciate smokey beers. Only beers I really can't stand are 'fruit beers'
I'm especially fond of stouts and (smokey) porters these days, but always open to new discoveries. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #1,131 of 2,001
Got these two today:

Obviously, the Brugse Zot is voorpret (pre-fun) as we call it in Dutch. :)

The other is going to be my first ever Ale. Can't wait to open it up, but the Zot is first in line. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #1,134 of 2,001
I like Old Speckled a lot, very nice bottled ale.

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #1,135 of 2,001
Took a trip to the store today and picked up a bunch of stuff to try this week, now that I have found out I like DIPA's. I got some more Founders Double Trouble, Some Dogfish Head 90Min, Sierra Nevada torpedo, Stone Retribution IPA (not sure if it counts), and a few others I can't remember. Looking very forward to this week. 

Edit: Drinking the 90 Min IIPA. O.M.G. This is so good its not funny. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #1,136 of 2,001

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations, will try some of them if I can get them here in Holland (shouldn't be a problem for at least some of them), have to say I didn't drank any of those listed except for some of the 'tv-beers'. When I buy normal 'pils/lager', the supermarket available Warsteiner is still better then Heineken.

I can appreciate smokey beers. Only beers I really can't stand are 'fruit beers'
I'm especially fond of stouts and (smokey) porters these days, but always open to new discoveries. 

These "TV-beers" are advertized on TV, thus the name, and are availlable in every store. They are made to suit all people, without any edges, any real unique taste. I find them flat and boring, especially Holsten. So, the netherlands... had something horrible from there once called Grolsch but that's all. As a warning: do NEVER buy, drink or even touch Oettinger, it is the most horrible thing to be found in german stores. I'd imagine Becks to be our equivalent to Heineken - it's everywhere. 

Had once again a fine czech lager today, Krušovice! It propably was the best dark I ever tasted, absolutely delicious. I'd recommend it highly.  

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #1,138 of 2,001
I hear a lot about this Hopslam Ale. I hear that its selling out were ever its sold. So I went out and bought out my store :) This stuff is very good. Hoppy with citrus and fruity tastes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back