Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Feb 1, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #1,111 of 2,001
Why? You want to punch them in the face or something? :wink:

Fortunately after tomorrow I am done with tests. That means trying new, special beers. Hurray. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #1,112 of 2,001
I'm readying myself for a period of withdrawal. I've been drinking Sierra Nevada consistently for a couple years, but am moving this weekend. No bar down there serves it on tap. :frowning2:

I will be able to find Alaskan Amber and Hemp Ale easily, but they're not the same.

The good news is that I plan to pick up a house pretty quick. When I have the spare room, I intend to begin homebrewing. :) Having a nice porter and a West Coast style IPA on tap at home would be awfully nice.

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,113 of 2,001
I thought every half ass town had atleast one bar with Sierra Nevada. If not on tap in bottles.

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #1,114 of 2,001
So far, my favorite is Longboard, out of Kona. Otherwise I would have to say Henry Weinhard's Blonde Ale or good ol' Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #1,116 of 2,001

if we are talking about international beers too, Hefeweizen is incredible. just make sure you drink the stuff imported from germany

Have you tried the good American Hefeweizens? There are quite a few good ones made here. And, yes, I've served them to German visitors. They went wide-eyed, got quiet, then were overjoyed to find good beer made in the US.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #1,118 of 2,001
I had this Dutch porter tonight. Was dissapointed, the US/UK porters/stouts I had were much much better

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #1,119 of 2,001

Quote:

Have you tried the good American Hefeweizens? There are quite a few good ones made here. And, yes, I've served them to German visitors. They went wide-eyed, got quiet, then were overjoyed to find good beer made in the US.

What would be your recommendations? I thought Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis was pretty decent.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #1,120 of 2,001
Had a founders Double Trouble tonight. My first IIPA. Oh I'm hooked. Must try some more. I am planning on seeking out the Dogfish Head 90min, The Bell's Hopslam ale, New Holland Imperial Hatter and what ever else I can find. I don't like a lot of IPA's especially if they have a big flowery smell or taste, but man was this good.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #1,121 of 2,001
Got some nice Czech dark here, so far it tastes quite enjoyable. I had better dark beers though. Fun fact: it says "bohemian" on the etikett but the place it's made is in Moravia. 

American Weizen? The stereotype here goes that americans and beer is like the french and war. 
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #1,123 of 2,001

Quote:
Got some nice Czech dark here, so far it tastes quite enjoyable. I had better dark beers though. Fun fact: it says "bohemian" on the etikett but the place it's made is in Moravia. 

American Weizen? The stereotype here goes that americans and beer is like the french and war. 
wink.gif

I drank several beers from many countries and honestly, I liked the Belgians, English and also some very fine US beers more then the German ones. Germans have some very nice lagers/pilseners, but I couldn't find very nice 'special' beers. Offcourse it's all about one's own taste, very subjective.

The stereotype here goes that many Germans are very (maybe overly) fond of everything that's from Germany
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #1,124 of 2,001

wink.gif

If only I could afford to fly you in for a weekend of drinking in Portland, Oregon or San Diego, California. We had bad beer for a time, but micro and craft brewing has exploded over the past 20 years.

You'd never be happier to be wrong. :)

Of course German beer is excellent - I've had a bit of it myself. No complaints. But what we make here is awfully good, too. You'll also find a greater variety of styles in the US, there's a huge amount of experimentation on the West Coast. In either city, you'll find over 100 different styles brewed locally.

For hefeweizens, I'm fond of Widmer and Pyramid. Both excellent, but you'll find quite a few others.

I drink them, but my heart lies with porters, stouts and West Coast IPAs. My favorites are Terminator Stout, Black Butte Porter and Racer 5 IPA. The porter and stout are well-executed and traditional, but West Coast IPAs are excessively hopped. Almost like drinking a flower - just wonderful. Their high alcohol percentages are just a nice bonus.

Should you get a chance to visit, give Portland a try. A very compact city that's easily walkable, with free public transportation downtown. You'll find a remarkable variety of beer withing walking distance of any hotel. But you'll also find many local wines from the Willamette Valley - pinot noir is a specialty. Even better, everything short of citrus grows in the Valley. Many restaurants serve food grown nearby. Portland now has more restaurants per capita than San Franscisco - the most in the US. There's no better place to eat and drink.

And speaking of San Franscisco, give Anchor Steam a try if you can find it. A true American original and has been popular here for decades. Anchor Steam was one of the first to craft brew a local beer.

Currently, I'm in Yuma and enjoying $2.50 Imperial Pints of Hemp Ale. Quite good!

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #1,125 of 2,001

Quote:
Quote:

wink.gif

I drank several beers from many countries and honestly, I liked the Belgians, English and also some very fine US beers more then the German ones. Germans have some very nice lagers/pilseners, but I couldn't find very nice 'special' beers. Offcourse it's all about one's own taste, very subjective.

The stereotype here goes that many Germans are very (maybe overly) fond of everything that's from Germany
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Yep, we do like our cars. But seriously, there's a lot of smaller breweries, especially in the south, that make excellent wheat beers. One quick advice: stay the *** away from becks, Krombacher and the other TV-beers. They suck, especially becks, they really suck. One I'd recommend is the Aventinus Weizenbock dunkel. Or Kölsch, a speciality from Cologne... I hate it but opinions differ. Or Schlenkerla Rauchbier, made from smoked barley...there are hundreds of kinds. Especially the smoked stuff can be great - or you hate it instantly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back