Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Feb 12, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #1,172 of 2,001

Quote:

2 hour and 9 minute drive.  The trip up would be easy enough, the trip home might not be safe enough.  
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #1,173 of 2,001

What are some of the popular beers in Belgium, like one you can get in every bar? I always try Belgian brews, but wonder if people in Belgium actually drink them or if its a ploy to sucker naive Westerners.

Do you guys have Delirium Tremens?

Quote:
Quote:
Drinking age? Haha, it's 16 here. :-D

Officially it is 16 for beer and 18 for liquor in Belgium, but I remember having my first beers way before that. It's part of our culture. You can get drunk at 16 and smoke weed at 18, very normal here

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #1,174 of 2,001
I never really got Delirium. I do like beers from Belgium, just not ones that are too spicy or fruity. I actually got my girlfriend a 4 pack last night for her birthday and tried it again and am still less than astounded by it. It just doesn't do it for me, especially for the cost.

I did have Stone Arrogant person and Fullers English Porter for the first time, both on tap, and enjoyed them. Especially the Fullers, first time I had one of their beers, really good, smooth porter that had some great flavors. I see beers being advertised with a toffee flavor all the time, but this was one of the first I could actually taste it in.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #1,175 of 2,001

Quote:
What are some of the popular beers in Belgium, like one you can get in every bar? I always try Belgian brews, but wonder if people in Belgium actually drink them or if its a ploy to sucker naive Westerners.

Do you guys have Delirium Tremens?

Normal beers here are Stella Artois, Cristal Alken, Jupiler, Maes, Carslberg, Kriek, Hoegaarden
And then the more special beers you can get everywhere are: Leffe, Grimbergen, Duvel, Vedett, Chimay, Orval, Westmalle, Ciney, Maredsous, Karmeliet.

In the beer bars you can ofcourse get dozens more, all the special less commercial beers, but I think these are the most popular. Delirium isn't something each bar has. (not a fan) Duvel still is my favorite :)

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #1,176 of 2,001
I have the Old Speckled in my glass now - my first ever Ale.

It's an accessible and light beer to drink and not too complex. Perhaps this is inherent to all the Ales but the taste of barley is very much in the front with some bitterness to it as well. So to sum it up: the taste of barley + bitterness = Old Speckled Hen. :wink:

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #1,177 of 2,001

Quote:
I have the Old Speckled in my glass now - my first ever Ale.

It's an accessible and light beer to drink and not too complex. Perhaps this is inherent to all the Ales but the taste of barley is very much in the front with some bitterness to it as well. So to sum it up: the taste of barley + bitterness = Old Speckled Hen. :wink:

As I said some pages back, every blonde, wit, bitter or stout you've had before have also been ales, as they're all top-fermented at higher temperatures.
I do agree on your analysis of the Hen, which is pretty typical english pub ale. They have it on tap at the local pub, but I usually go for something a bit more exciting.

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #1,178 of 2,001
I wiki'd "Ale" and found that it's actually a lousy term when dealing with persons who don't live in the same region as you do. In English speaking parts of our globe everything that was top-fermented is being regarded as an ale. Not here, though, so it is slightly confusing...

Okay, so it was my first ever British ale, from our perspective. :wink: 

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #1,179 of 2,001
Yesterday evening I've had a Rochfort 8 with dinner.

This noon I've had a very nice Lupulus, went perfectly well with the trouth and ribs I've had.

Now I've just drunk a Dikke Mathilde, nice soft beer

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #1,180 of 2,001
Tried a few things at the Beer Engine today. The North Peak Diabolical IPA was nice with plenty of malt to balance the hops.  I really liked the Mojo Risin' on Nitro too. Nitro makes everything Sooo Smoooth.

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #1,181 of 2,001
rogue%20imperial%20ipa.jpg

Enjoyed a bottle of Rogue XS Imperial IPA I pulled out of the cellar last night. There's a nice floral aroma to this beer but has tons of hop flavor in it. This beer is very drinkable going down smoothly and has a long bitter hop finish to it that dissapates quite nicely. After a bottle of this you will definitely feel the alcohol kick in.

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #1,182 of 2,001

Quote:
Enjoyed a bottle of Rogue XS Imperial IPA I pulled out of the cellar last night. There's a nice floral aroma to this beer but has tons of hop flavor in it. This beer is very drinkable going down smoothly and has a long bitter hop finish to it that dissapates quite nicely. After a bottle of this you will definitely feel the alcohol kick in.

Is that a Duvel glass? :wink:

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #1,185 of 2,001
Had a Hobgoblin Ale.

The only thing I can compare it to is the Old Speckled Hen. There is a remarkable difference between the two, reflected by the bottles they come in. The Old Speckled is fresh and light-footed and the Goblin is darker and more balanced in taste. Two completely different beers, but I think I prefer the Old Speckled Hen. The Goblin has some bitterness in it that I did not like that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back