Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Nov 6, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #676 of 1,494
I appreciate the response, however, what I am really curious about is usable lifespan of the headphones ( 1year-2 years?) using them with nothing enabled, and using them with battery chewing options enabled. Would overall life drop by 1/3-1/2, since you would be re-charging the case
much more often?
You get 6 hours with ANC enabled the bigger question is the life of the battery within the WF-XM3 if you know that a rough estimate of there expected life can be done.

Nov 6, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #677 of 1,494
I appreciate the response, however, what I am really curious about is usable lifespan of the headphones ( 1year-2 years?) using them with nothing enabled, and using them with battery chewing options enabled. Would overall life drop by 1/3-1/2, since you would be re-charging the case
much more often?

well the batteries have a given number of recharge cycles in them so the less useable time you get per charge the shorter the life of the battery and phone. I don’t know how many cycles the batteries are rated at but the battery in the 1Z dap is rated by Sony at 500 cycles which with my use pattern equates to about 10 years. If these batteries also have 500 cycles they will last 2-3 years with my use pattern.

Nov 6, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #678 of 1,494
I would be delighted if my WF -XM3.. ANC was as good as the ones shown in the video.

Yeah I'm not sure what setup he's using but he's likely getting a perfect seal. The WH are still way ahead though, really impressive NC.

Nov 6, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #679 of 1,494
Yeah I'm not sure what setup he's using but he's likely getting a perfect seal. The WH are still way ahead though, really impressive NC.
Yes a good seal in the Ear makes a big difference to how good or if any Noise Cancelling you get and it's effectiveness in block out noise.. unluckly my Right Ear canal seems to belong to a Elephant rather than a human.

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #680 of 1,494
So having failed to detect any significant noise cancelling when I tried these in the store originally, I got some cheap replacement buds from a recommendation on this site for my older WF-1000X. These have also been disappointing, but when I replaced the buds I did notice some benefit. I then tried the buds on the WF-1000XM3 in the store again, and I was amazed at the difference, to the point that I will now get them. These buds were pretty cheap, and you do wonder why Sony don't include ones like these as standard, as they presumably want their customers to appreciate their products (which I certainly didn't previously). It's clear that these headphones only work well when the seal is good (to the point where I can hear my feet thudding while I walk)

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #681 of 1,494
So having failed to detect any significant noise cancelling when I tried these in the store originally, I got some cheap replacement buds from a recommendation on this site for my older WF-1000X. These have also been disappointing, but when I replaced the buds I did notice some benefit. I then tried the buds on the WF-1000XM3 in the store again, and I was amazed at the difference, to the point that I will now get them. These buds were pretty cheap, and you do wonder why Sony don't include ones like these as standard, as they presumably want their customers to appreciate their products (which I certainly didn't previously). It's clear that these headphones only work well when the seal is good (to the point where I can hear my feet thudding while I walk)
If you do not mind but what tips are they.

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #683 of 1,494
Nov 8, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #684 of 1,494
The black ones (which are not foam?) fit in the case fine for my WF1000x so assume the same for the XM3. The squishier red ones seem to fit ok as well, but the black ones work best for me. They all stay on when you remove from the case too, unlike some other cheap foam ones I tried which didn't grip the stem well at all.

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #686 of 1,494
much more often?

Some guy did a bit of research on one of those reddit threads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/dckg1v/the_sony_wf1000xm3_uses_a_replaceable_coin_cell/

http://www.fonow.com/view/235586.html

https://products.varta-microbattery...ature_varta/2018_05_HANDBOOK_CoinPower_en.pdf

Basically 10% battery life loss after 500 cycles, and then pretty much user replaceable too.

Nov 14, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #687 of 1,494
I bought my M3 about 2 months ago and I thought I would never use my first gen wf-1000x again as M3 must be much better in every way.I am very satisfied with its audio performance but I am returning to first gen more often recently, I think wf-1000x has better timbre and instrument seperation , gets me more into music. When I’m outside I prefer M3 for longer battery life and better ANC but at home I use wf-1000x to enjoy music much more. I am a happy owner of both

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #688 of 1,494
Sony WF-1000XM3

A few brief comments about the WF-1000xm3s. I’ve had them since Aug 4th now. They arrived burning hot in the Texas summer heat; a bad sign for devices containing lithium-ion batteries. I liked their sound signature from the start. There’s adequate non-boated bass, the highs have good extension, and the soundstage while not enormous is not compressed either. The sound doesn’t compare to some of my best IEMs such as the Shure SE846s or Westone W3s or W4s, but compared to a raft of other truly wireless IEMs I have, it’s the best in my opinion. Those other true wireless buds include the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1, the Jabra Elite 65T, Sennsheiser MTWs, BeoPlay E8s, 1More Stylish TWE, and the Bragi Dash which I rate in that order for sound quality.

The noise canceling has been a blessing on airplanes using the Comply SmartCore tips. I used a Bose QC2 on a plane once, but didn’t like lugging it around, so I switched to the Westone W3 IEMs. (My full sized ANC headsets currently include the Bose QC35 1, the Sony WH-1000xm3 which I find too bass heavy, and the Sennheiser Momentum 2s which are too mid centric for my tastes.) I didn’t think noise attenuation could be much better than the Westone W3s with long Comply tips, but the WF1000xm3s handily beat them. Blessed quiet.

My issue has been battery life. The heated pair rarely gets more than 3 hours play time before going dead. I run them with Bluetooth to prioritize sound quality over battery life. I’ve also been using the DSEE-HX on. Reading this thread today I see that DSEE-HX is supposed to dump the battery life by about 50%. On a plane, the slight improvement in sound quality is not noticeable, so I’ve turned that option off.

Thing is, I purchased a second pair planning to send the original back to Amazon. The second pair is at operating system 1.3 while the first is stuck at 1.2.4 (or thereabouts) because I’ve not updated my iPhone to the OS version that will allow it to update. The two pairs sound different. The treble of the first is diminished compared to the second. The second also has some noticeable background hiss missing from the first. The second seems to get improved battery life, though not the promised 6 hours. Since they’re not on the same version number, it’s difficult to say if this is pair specific of OS specific. Both pairs run the battery down at different rates in each ear. The first pair seems to run the right ear down faster, the second the left.

A couple of comments: 1) Maximum volume on these IEMs is too quiet to listen to classical music (largely uncompressed) on a plane. They need to have a louder maximum volume. 2) Battery life on a plane is disappointing when you have to crank the volume up. I’m currently using both pairs of xm3s for long flights to/from Asia, letting one charge while I’m using another. I’m carrying a W3 back-up pair just in case (have 3 W3s) 3) both suffer from driver flex when inserting in my ears. Hopefully it won’t be a problem in the long run—if there is a long run since the Lith-ion battery life is uncertain. We need replaceable batteries in $200 products.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #689 of 1,494
Anyone noticed the ANC got worse after the last update?

Nov 18, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #690 of 1,494
No I have not noticed.
But, I’ve noticed that Im running SBC mainly now instead of AAC.
Running iphone X, latest ios version.
Strange, to bad you cant force iphone to use AAC, not that I know of anyway.

Running Spotify, where I put soundquality to max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back