Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Sep 6, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #391 of 1,494
For what they are I love these, sound is decent and I find the fit comfortable and secure, ANC coupled with the in-ear design also isolates very well.

My only beef is the controls, I just cannot get on with them. Sometimes one tap registers as 2 and 2 registers as 3 and skips back rather than forward, I feel like I am playing super mario and have sense of achievement if I successfully skip forward or pause on my first attempt! Are they are all like this or could mine be faulty?

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #392 of 1,494
Tried the CP100-CP360-Symbio-Comply and the included tips
Simply not comfortable for me
No problem with my B&O E8's
I guess these are simply not for me
Same here, tried about a dozen different tips I have handy and the only tips that give me a good seal are the large silicone ones but unfortunately I have to push the tips deep in my canal and the rubbery base of the XM3 presses too hard on the ear cartilage and it's well painful ! Never had a problem like that with any IEM before and not with the WF-1000x actually. I had to push them in deep too to get a seal but they didn't have this protruding base.

It's too bad because I'm pretty impressed with the SQ (there is a big bass boost when ANC is on though, a bit like with the QC25) and the ANC. Unlike on the QC20 (or the TaoTronics EP-01) the XM3 have passive isolation so when the seal is good the ANC gives really impressive results in loud commuter trains. Pretty much on par with what I get with my QC25 cans, except maybe for the higher frequencies.

As a side note, does anyone know how this YouTuber managed to record what he hears with the WF-1000xm3 (at 2:22)

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #393 of 1,494
The trick to getting a good fit isn't to jam the earbuds as far in as they'll go into your ear, you just need to make sure they nestle nicely along the back of your earhole. Slight twist and a tuck should do it.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #394 of 1,494
Thanks, yes that makes them fit but that doesn't give a seal in my case so there is no passive isolation to speak of, like with the QC20 or TaoTronics EP-01. With a seal and ANC on they're really close to the QC25 cans and that's saying a lot. The SQ is a lot better with a seal too.

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #395 of 1,494
Thanks, yes that makes them fit but that doesn't give a seal in my case so there is no passive isolation to speak of, like with the QC20 or TaoTronics EP-01. With a seal and ANC on they're really close to the QC25 cans and that's saying a lot. The SQ is a lot better with a seal too.

You could try the Final E tips, they go all the way to LL. I’m good with Comply T200 L

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #396 of 1,494
I have some T200 L too but that makes them stick out even more and the required squishing is a bit of a pain, not to mention the poor lifespan.
Do you push them deep in the ear canal ?
I'll give them another try.

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #397 of 1,494
I have some T200 L too but that makes them stick out even more and the required squishing is a bit of a pain, not to mention the poor lifespan.
Do you push them deep in the ear canal ?
I'll give them another try.

Yes I push them in as far as they can possibly go and I don’t have to squish the Comply’s, they just fit nicely. I generally prefer SpinFit but the redult in a very audible thump for every step I take as do all the silicone tips to lesser extent, the foam tips and Comply provide the least thump. All isolate well for me with the Comply as the best

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #400 of 1,494
Ya-- medium fit OK -- have some comply tips and final e tips coming to test.

even thinking about custom ear tips i'd have to take off/ switch when charging

Sep 7, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #401 of 1,494
I rarely post anymore in head-fi. This is because I have stopped caring about hype and have been very satisfied with my stationary headphone rig, in short, I don't feel the need to upgrade to the newest promise for better sound.

With that said, I have been long in the search for a travel rig that is portable and that doesn't compromise too much on SQ. I travel a lot and moving between trains, taxis and airplanes made having wired headphones, amplifiers and dedicated DAPs a true hassle and thus began my adventure with lightweight wireless options. I had been ok with the sound of the Sony WH1000XM3's but I found the too bulky to carry all the time, they still are my preferred choice for long transatlantic flights though. I then began to purchase and test TW, sennheiser, master and dynamic, Bose, B&O and Jabra, none come close to the Sony WF1000XM3's in terms of sound quality, noise isolation and features, I honestly think these are the best TW's so far and they have become part of my daily carry. I have used them on several continental flights and with the Comply TrueGrip Pro tips they provide as much noise isolation as the WH. In short, Im very, very happy with this purchase, the future looks good with TW's!

Sep 7, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #402 of 1,494
Good to hear!
I tried the Comply T-200 again but they don't work for me so I'm back with the stock Silicone L and I manage to get a seal without too much "pushing". Which TrueGrip Pro model are you using?

The feedback on their site is confusing with some people saying that they don't work (come off) and others say they're perfect!

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #403 of 1,494
I rarely post anymore in head-fi. This is because I have stopped caring about hype and have been very satisfied with my stationary headphone rig, in short, I don't feel the need to upgrade to the newest promise for better sound.

With that said, I have been long in the search for a travel rig that is portable and that doesn't compromise too much on SQ. I travel a lot and moving between trains, taxis and airplanes made having wired headphones, amplifiers and dedicated DAPs a true hassle and thus began my adventure with lightweight wireless options. I had been ok with the sound of the Sony WH1000XM3's but I found the too bulky to carry all the time, they still are my preferred choice for long transatlantic flights though. I then began to purchase and test TW, sennheiser, master and dynamic, Bose, B&O and Jabra, none come close to the Sony WF1000XM3's in terms of sound quality, noise isolation and features, I honestly think these are the best TW's so far and they have become part of my daily carry. I have used them on several continental flights and with the Comply TrueGrip Pro tips they provide as much noise isolation as the WH. In short, Im very, very happy with this purchase, the future looks good with TW's!
My sentiments & opinion exactly, & you've saved me a fair few words - although some remain, & will follow soon.

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #404 of 1,494

If the WF1000XM3 is popular enough and has enough staying power I think Sony can remedy the size issue by releasing a slim case - like how Apple and B&O did to their AirPod and B8 - one which only holds 1 to 1.5 extra charge but with added wireless charging and cut 30% of the size of the current case and you'll have the perfect everyday commuting case.

The current case is great for business travellers that may not be near a charger all the time or too busy to charge them - which I understand as an usage scenario. But for the everyday urban commuter I don't think 6+18hrs is necessary.

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #405 of 1,494
Good to hear!
I tried the Comply T-200 again but they don't work for me so I'm back with the stock Silicone L and I manage to get a seal without too much "pushing". Which TrueGrip Pro model are you using?

The feedback on their site is confusing with some people saying that they don't work (come off) and others say they're perfect!

These ones: https://www.complyfoam.com/products/tgg-truegrip/ in medium size, they fit perfectly and have not experienced any loose tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back