Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Aug 28, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #302 of 1,494
Just did the software update and now cannot login to the Bluetooth on the elliptical at my gym.. However, I now realize that I also switched on the DSEE HX audio to test it—could that be the culprit or is it the software update?

Not sure these are keepers. I am getting sound drops at relatively close range, have yet to get a truly secure fit despite trying both types of Sony tips, comply, and spin fits. I absolutely love the sound but the connectivity and fit issues are probably going to lead me to listen to the Bose true wireless again, which were really a step down sonically.

Follow-up: turned off DSEE HX and still could not connect to any of the TechnoGym ellipticals. As I think of it, I had the same connectivity issue with the Bose Soundsports (the ones with the connecting wire between the earbuds).

So, can anyone suggest a true wireless with fins for secure fit and hearty connectivity that sound decent?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #303 of 1,494
Is there any way to disable charging of the earbuds while they're in the case? To choose manually when to charge? I don't like at all the idea of them getting charged every time they are placed in the case no matter what the level of the battery is in the buds, 1% or 80% just charge, charge, charge and kill your battery just in time till the next model comes out....
Trust me, you are not more capable of managing the battery manually, vs. a modern Lithium-ion battery management system (BMS). This isn't like the old NiCad and NiMH days where you can overcharge and induce memory effects. There's no need to babysit it. Sony, in particular, has enormous experience with Lithium cells and charging circuits. Just drop it in the charger, and let it do its thing to maximize life. Even the leading electric car manufacturer, Tesla, recommends the car always be plugged in as much as possible.

At the end of the day, the WF-1000XM3 is a sealed unit with a limited lifespan. Enjoy it for as long as it works, and enjoy the convenience of charged buds. It's not an heirloom.

But let's play it out... even if you could extend the life somehow, and you can actually manage a battery better than the computer. This is a device that probably has a planned service life of about 18-20 mo, assuming daily use. How much more life could you get? 10%? 2 more months? You're still replacing the unit in year 2 in this case.

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #304 of 1,494
Not sure these are keepers. I am getting sound drops at relatively close range, have yet to get a truly secure fit despite trying both types of Sony tips, comply, and spin fits. I absolutely love the sound but the connectivity and fit issues
!

This pretty much sums up why mine will be going back as well.

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #305 of 1,494
Any idea if i buy these in Tokyo, will the default language be Japanese? And if so, is it difficult to switch it over to English?

First tried them out in Singapore and actually liked them a lot for how it sounded. Slightly cheaper buying in JP after tax refund..

I bought mine in Japan and it installed the English language by default. I suspect it is because I use my iPhone in English (region set to Japan), which then locks the Sony Headphone app in English, which then transferred the English voice guidance to the earbuds by default on initial setup. I've messed around and tried to install different voice guidance languages on it and it's really straight forward and doesn't appear to be region limited in anyway.

So I don't think you'll have any issues.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #306 of 1,494
Just did the software update and now cannot login to the Bluetooth on the elliptical at my gym.. However, I now realize that I also switched on the DSEE HX audio to test it—could that be the culprit or is it the software update?

Not sure these are keepers. I am getting sound drops at relatively close range, have yet to get a truly secure fit despite trying both types of Sony tips, comply, and spin fits. I absolutely love the sound but the connectivity and fit issues are probably going to lead me to listen to the Bose true wireless again, which were really a step down sonically.

Follow-up: turned off DSEE HX and still could not connect to any of the TechnoGym ellipticals. As I think of it, I had the same connectivity issue with the Bose Soundsports (the ones with the connecting wire between the earbuds).

So, can anyone suggest a true wireless with fins for secure fit and hearty connectivity that sound decent?

Thanks!!

You might have a lemon unit since a number of us have no connectivity issues?

I also had no problems connecting and listening with the XM3s to a Windows 10 PC although I've read many had problems...

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #307 of 1,494

Thanks!!

If you have problems with both Bose and Sony with your TechnoGym equipment, then the logical conclusion would be that it's the TechnoGym equipment's BT being at fault, not the earbuds. In which case buying another set of buds could just mean more money being wasted rather than fixing the issue.

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #308 of 1,494
If you have problems with both Bose and Sony with your TechnoGym equipment, then the logical conclusion would be that it's the TechnoGym equipment's BT being at fault, not the earbuds. In which case buying another set of buds could just mean more money being wasted rather than fixing the issue.
The weird thing is that while the Bose never worked, the Sony’s worked until the update. I was hoping the Bose didn’t work because it was an earlier version of Bluetooth.

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #309 of 1,494

Thanks!!
Be aware that one of the things that can cause dropouts, or problems setting up a connection, is interference. Weak Signal strength is the most obvious/simple cause, but beyond that, we have a radio system that is operating in an environment with more and more RF signals, which can cause interference with the BT signal. We too often are unaware of just how polluted our environment is, with RF signals all around us.
And of course your experience with not being able to connect to the Gym equipment could also be due to the Gym system being hung. You've seen that happen to a Router, where you need to reboot it to get it to function normally.

To picture RF interference, imagine that your are in the office, and a customer is talking to you to set up an account. But all around you, there are people shouting at each other, arguing, playing games, and there is somebody drilling holes in the concrete floor over your head. So it might be kind of hard for you to focus, or understand, what your customer is saying.

As an example of how noise affects BT, I can walk by a certain location and always get a dropout. Most likely there is a strong signal that is close to, and affects the BT frequency. Could be Wifi, a store security system, a Carrier's antennas, a microwave, old fluorescent lights, etc. etc.
BT is a wireless signal, sharing the space with many other signals. If you expect that BT will work like a wired connection, that is unrealistic. You will never get a 100% secure connection, and should expect that there will be conditions that will cause dropouts, and that there are some locations with strong RF pollution/interference.

Of course some BT implementations are more stable and resistant to noise than others, and that is maybe what you are looking for. And you will need to test those others in the environment that is causing problems for you...

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #310 of 1,494
Using eq with anc cuts battery time to about 4 hours. Low battery warning came after 3 1/2 hours

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #315 of 1,494
These are not bad for flights. I had a transfer flight. So first flight was using the Bose NC 700 and the 2nd flight with these Sony WF-1000XM3.

I was a bit worried switching to the Sony WF-1000XM3 but it did a descent job of blocking the plane noise.

It is not my first choice to use on a plane, but it is better than nothing I guess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back