Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Aug 30, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #316 of 1,494
Had these for two weeks now. Started off thinking “These are useless, they’re going back” to now loving them. Think because I’ve got used to the fit (the twist!) and the EQ suggested by this thread (thanks!). Thought the sound cancelling was a bit crap initially, but have started to appreciate it. And after comparing to my friend’s first generation full-size Sony NC over-ears, feel the NC in these isn’t too far off a full sized version (ie, can’t expect miracles). Normally use the IE800 but will switch to these day-to-day. The battery life is really something. And the NC has got me listening to things I wouldn’t normally have the concentration for on the move. Ligeti! Jarrett! Quiet things! Really come round to them. This and the Dragonfly Cobalt have been my favourite discoveries of 2019.

Edit: I’ve also found that using my old Sony ear tips (with the foam insides) has helped with the fit. So glad they’re not like the IE800s with their proprietary design. Anything goes, it seems. Even the Conply that came with my (now deceased) B&O H5s.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #317 of 1,494
The weird thing is that while the Bose never worked, the Sony’s worked until the update. I was hoping the Bose didn’t work because it was an earlier version of Bluetooth.
Someone mentioned interference and that is the likely culprit. I find wifi can really mess up Bluetooth so it might be worth checking if wifi is the culprit.

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #318 of 1,494
So - what was the solution??

I activated the option for the speech notification and for stopping the music while taking off the earphone.

Guys I have two questions and I hope you can give me an answer:

1. Sounds the Sony WF-1000XM3 better than the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless?
2. Did you have problems with the Sony WF-1000XM3 while making sport such as running? I mean: Do it sits fest? Is the sweat problematic?

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #319 of 1,494
If WiFi is the issue, I don’t see how it can be avoided when linking the Bluetooth to the elliptical. At any rate I am back to wired headphones for this scenario. Gave the Sony’s to my wife (they fit her perfectly) and I picked up the Bose Supersports on sale. They stay in, but the sound is very sculpted and will not connect to the exercise equipment at all!!

Aug 31, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #320 of 1,494
Just got my WF-1000xm3, I was skeptical because it does not have aptx. After first listen, I am shocked, it sounds so good, 10x better than those cheap Aptx TW earbuds. Unbelievable! After tuning sound to treble and bass+1, it sounds like my IER-Z1R! That is crazy. Why did I spend $2,000 for a wired earbud when I can have it for $230 and wireless?

You got to try it to believe it!

Maybe I am too noob or not audiophile enough to really "understand" the music, but I would now say that with this EQ I like the WF-1000XM3 somehow more than my Campfire Andromeda (with Reference-8 and IEMatch on my iPhone) – I just love this clarity and the air of the WF-1000XM3! Maybe I will sell the Andromeda and I will stay just with the WF-1000XM3…?! I'm really positive impressed!
Thank you very much for sharing it!

I would like to read a competent review of the WF-1000XM3 with that EQ, also in comparison to others high-end iems.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #321 of 1,494
I’m planning to get myself a pair for daily commute. But have been hesitant on placing an order because I’ve been seeing reviews on how there’s a noticeable audio delay while watching videos on an iphone. Anyone using a pair with iphone can confirm this?

Aug 31, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #322 of 1,494
I’m planning to get myself a pair for daily commute. But have been hesitant on placing an order because I’ve been seeing reviews on how there’s a noticeable audio delay while watching videos on an iphone. Anyone using a pair with iphone can confirm this?
Using on an iphone X, I do not notice any delays. At least not enough that I would notice it. So I have not done any investigation on it.

Aug 31, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #323 of 1,494
Using on an iphone X, I do not notice any delays. At least not enough that I would notice it. So I have not done any investigation on it.

I also don’t have enough lag to actually notice any with an iPhone8 but don’t do much video

Aug 31, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #324 of 1,494
Is there any way to disable charging of the earbuds while they're in the case? To choose manually when to charge? I don't like at all the idea of them getting charged every time they are placed in the case no matter what the level of the battery is in the buds, 1% or 80% just charge, charge, charge and kill your battery just in time till the next model comes out....

Why did you think charge, charge and charge is a problem?
Nowaday batteries does NOT have cons of old date battery

Aug 31, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #325 of 1,494
I hope this message to reach Sony, for the improvement in next firmware update : I find the volume sound control +/- steps is not sufficiently gradual enough, the sound level increment or decrement is a bit too much , either a bit too high or a bit too low in sound level, very often we need some where intermediate for the desire comfort level. I hope Sony can enhance this in the next firmware release, with smaller step of gradual sound level change.

Aug 31, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #326 of 1,494
I hope this message to reach Sony, for the improvement in next firmware update : I find the volume sound control +/- steps is not sufficiently gradual enough, the sound level increment or decrement is a bit too much , either a bit too high or a bit too low in sound level, very often we need some where intermediate for the desire comfort level. I hope Sony can enhance this in the next firmware release, with smaller step of gradual sound level change.

I suspect that those steps are dictated by the source devices volume implementation and not something Sony can do anything about

Aug 31, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #327 of 1,494
I suspect that those steps are dictated by the source devices volume implementation and not something Sony can do anything about

Possible as you say, but from technical point of view, the earbud actually itself has its own amplifier (with the sound processor), hence firmware likely can control the amount of increment within its amplification stage.

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #328 of 1,494
The volume is indeed controlled by the source device, at least on iOS. When listening from my iPhone, I use the physical volume buttons for big steps up or down. For very small increments, I can force press on the volume widget or use the crown on my Watch. The increments are the same between the earbud and over-ear XM3s.

It’s been this way across every Bluetooth headphone that uses iOS’ standard volume protocol. The internal amplifier determines maximum volume and the noise floor, but I’ve never noticed different steps in volume. The only exception I’ve experienced was with the Radsone ES100, which doesn’t match iOS volume and instead behaves exactly like you describe with its own unique (user customizable) volume range.

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #330 of 1,494
Regarding volume, on iOS you can fine adjust volume w/ the slider on the lockscreen. The overall step increments/decrements will the same afterward but now you'll be in-between positions going up/down until you hit the min or max which will reset. With 17 increments, that's just short of 6% on every step... so it's like 0, 6, 12. If you adjust the slider a bit you can be at 2, 8, 14, etc.

A digital receiver should receive that result as a fine-grained number and it has its own resolution. So if for instance perhaps these earphones have 64 steps (I don't know, I don't have them in my posession). Whatever the source sends it will round up or down to the closest step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back