Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
May 10, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #1,156 of 1,494
Pinna is the outer ear, which part is it pressing against?

1-Auricle-right-copy.jpeg

I rotate mine so the part behind the nozzle basically fits against the anti-tragus. The sensor area kinda sits by the anti-helix.

I'm using AE foams, T200 in small. I don't know if the truegrip would be better. Comply does have a listing specifically for the XM3 though.

https://www.complyfoam.com/products/tg-truegrip-pro-for-sony-true-wireless-earphones/

Ah, sorry about that, looks like the google image I used for ear parts wasn't the best.

The microphone/front part pushes on the Tragus, and if I insist on getting it deeper it hurts my tragus.

The back part of the XM3 fits perfectly in the Concha and doesn't really touch the antihelix or antitragus, it just kind of tucks in there after the twist. It still hovers a few mm above the concha and doesn't touch it or rest on it in any way.

I have the spinfit C360 S and M size. They both go in as much and are as solid, but the S lost the seal sometimes, I'm guessing it was too small. The M fits in just as deep but keeps the seal in perfectly. It's just that I feel the bounce, which I think is because it just doesn't really rest on any part of my ear.

May 10, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #1,157 of 1,494
Ah, sorry about that, looks like the google image I used for ear parts wasn't the best.

The microphone/front part pushes on the Tragus, and if I insist on getting it deeper it hurts my tragus.

The back part of the XM3 fits perfectly in the Concha and doesn't really touch the antihelix or antitragus, it just kind of tucks in there after the twist. It still hovers a few mm above the concha and doesn't touch it or rest on it in any way.

I have the spinfit C360 S and M size. They both go in as much and are as solid, but the S lost the seal sometimes, I'm guessing it was too small. The M fits in just as deep but keeps the seal in perfectly. It's just that I feel the bounce, which I think is because it just doesn't really rest on any part of my ear.

Yeah, if its just floating there that would explain it. It doesn't help that the spin fits flex so much either lol.

The AliExpress T200, TWS foams (linked previously), or comply TG may help by allowing it to angle down comfortably and rest on your anti-helix. That could eliminate the bounce.

May 11, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #1,158 of 1,494
Awesome, that's exactly the push I needed to go out and get the AET07, which are the same as the 08 but with a harder silicone stem for better highs and less bass. All those short silicone tips look the same, it's really hard to know how they are different.

AET07 and AET08 has different fit in my ears, and sound different from each other, maybe because of the fit and slightly form.

20200511_110809.jpg

the 07 fits more snug in my ears because the slightly wider dome, and also slightly less protruding compared to the 08. because of that the bass is slightly bigger with the 07, and airier with the 08. comparing the 07 and the foam tips (that i posted on the TWS thread) the sound is really similar. putting in the foam has a bit more effort, but once it's in, it'll stay put even when running or even bumping/brushing it with my fingers.

May 11, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #1,159 of 1,494

Yeah, if its just floating there that would explain it. It doesn't help that the spin fits flex so much either lol.

The AliExpress T200, TWS foams (linked previously), or comply TG may help by allowing it to angle down comfortably and rest on your anti-helix. That could eliminate the bounce.

Ohhh, on further thought the ball shape comfort TS-200 may work to allow you to angle it down and it would allow it to sit a little further out. If being 2-3mm further out would help you fit wise.

May 11, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #1,160 of 1,494
AET07 and AET08 has different fit in my ears, and sound different from each other, maybe because of the fit and slightly form.

20200511_110809.jpg

the 07 fits more snug in my ears because the slightly wider dome, and also slightly less protruding compared to the 08. because of that the bass is slightly bigger with the 07, and airier with the 08. comparing the 07 and the foam tips (that i posted on the TWS thread) the sound is really similar. putting in the foam has a bit more effort, but once it's in, it'll stay put even when running or even bumping/brushing it with my fingers.

Well I have the 08s incoming tomorrow, mostly because the 07s have been out of stock for a few days from Amazon and other places charge almost as much as the buds for the shipping. Let's see how well the M size fits.

May 11, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #1,161 of 1,494
I am impressed by the improvement of the previous buds from Sony.

May 11, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #1,162 of 1,494
Right so I got these headphones off ebay for £115 including 2x pairs of comply foam ear tips which I'm using right away. Us Brits have to import these special comply ones from Singapore I think so good deal I beieve.

I instantly prefer the sound on the WI-1000X. The XM3...I don't know the technical terms but its sounds too smooth/tinny on the high end, it's not detailed and clear. Even perhaps even slightly too bright/harsh for me ears (I have sensitive ears..). It still has the core Sony signature but the lack in quality is a trade off in them not having a neckband... and its very easy to just pick them up and listen, very cool feature that and the fact you don't need to bother turning them off. Would definitely keep my eyes peeled for the next version! I will be keeping them and using them as my daily drivers.

I just hope they aren't a issue when wanting to sleep when flying, need to try running in them also.

I also NEVER want ambient sound, anyway to bypass pressing this button so its just a case of turning on ANC or turning it off?

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #1,163 of 1,494
Awesome, that's exactly the push I needed to go out and get the AET07, which are the same as the 08 but with a harder silicone stem for better highs and less bass. All those short silicone tips look the same, it's really hard to know how they are different.

I know all ears are different, but if I use spinfit m size, would the acoustune m size be a good fit for me?

When I insert the spinfit the XM3 body pushes against the pinna and it can get painful if I keep pushing. The back part fits perfectly in my concha, almost stuck to it, but hovers a little after by like 2-3 mm.

If you got the comply tg-200 would the size be better? Are you using size s, m or l?
I'm using the Acoustune AET08 Large and I really can't say enough good things about these tips. I'm using them for my XM3's and my JH Lola's and they are just awesome. @MaxwellDot recommended them! I got so tired of pushing my IEM back into my ear

I actually ordered the mediums too just so I could compare the fit

May 13, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #1,164 of 1,494
I'm using the Acoustune AET08 Large and I really can't say enough good things about these tips. I'm using them for my XM3's and my JH Lola's and they are just awesome. @MaxwellDot recommended them! I got so tired of pushing my IEM back into my ear

I actually ordered the mediums too just so I could compare the fit

Tip rolling with the acoustune AET08 in M size is going well. First thing I noticed is how stiff the stem and silicone is compared to the Spinfit 360s. I had a tough time figuring out how to jam them in my ear. I got the hang of it but they need more fiddling to get in. No more silicone popping is a plus, though.

They don't sit as deep as the Spinfits, but the fact that they are stiff compared to soft and wobbly in the center really makes them stick like glue. I have no more wobble at all no matter how much test-jumping I do. They stick out more, but still sit in deep, probably at the perfect place as they don't put pressure on the tragus anymore, but still touch it. I feel like the connection is better, less micro drop outs. They are a little less comfortable, probably because of the stiff nature. At first they feel great, but I get a few mild hot spots after an hour or so. I expect them to go away after a few days.

When I put them on at first, I was disappointed, it felt like I lost a lot of bass. Then I remembered I was EQing down the bass, and put everything back to default, and it was just right for me. I feel like the soundstage and imaging opened up and am really digging them now, maybe because they sit further from my ear. The mids feel more detailed, too. I'll have to go back in a week and check.

Thanks for recommending them, overall I feel happy to have them in my tip collection. I'm really curious now if the AE07 has more comfortable mush to it.

May 13, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #1,165 of 1,494
So I have the cp360 tips and they work great, but I'm wondering if there isn't something better.

As good as they fit I still can't walk too fast without the feeling that the xm3s are bouncing up and down.

Is there anything even more stable than that? I am eyeing the acoustune aet07s or the sedna lights, but they look almost the same for fit. The radius deep mount tips look like they might offer more stability.

Other than that maybe comply foam tips...I tried generic foam tips and they were super disappointing. Has anyone tried the Misodiko lights?
The bouncing up and down is why I retired them back when I was commuting into the city and walking from the train station to the office. Totally frustrating.

My xm3's have been relegated to sit down activities only. I had them for 4 months before I came around to appreciating them.

May 24, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #1,166 of 1,494
May 24, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #1,167 of 1,494
Just one of many reasons we voted to leave 😁 edit..... LEFT!!

Though initially all EU rules will stay in place until parliament starts revoking them

May 24, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #1,168 of 1,494
Just one of many reasons we voted to leave 😁 edit..... LEFT!!

But now your smoked salmon packaging will no longer say "contains fish" so people will be so confused!

May 25, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,169 of 1,494
So I seem to be having user issues with this. I am used to turning off headphones when I don't want them on anymore for some bizzare reason Sony didn't build this mechanism into them. I don't want to have to take the charging case with me when I go to the pub or to a gig or something and it seems the only way to immediately shut them down is to whack em in the case I believe

Is it not possible to just have the earphones in your ear with them complete shut down?

Also it's annoying they turn on if you pick them up and move them just simply from one place to another.

I guess I need to get into the habit of using the case and taking it with me but seems a bit daft. Perhaps these headphones are not quite for me if this is the case. Any other recommendations similar to this sound style?

May 25, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #1,170 of 1,494
So I seem to be having user issues with this. I am used to turning off headphones when I don't want them on anymore for some bizzare reason Sony didn't build this mechanism into them. I don't want to have to take the charging case with me when I go to the pub or to a gig or something and it seems the only way to immediately shut them down is to whack em in the case I believe

Is it not possible to just have the earphones in your ear with them complete shut down?

Also it's annoying they turn on if you pick them up and move them just simply from one place to another.

I guess I need to get into the habit of using the case and taking it with me but seems a bit daft. Perhaps these headphones are not quite for me if this is the case. Any other recommendations similar to this sound style?

You can turn them off in the Smartphone app but you can only turn them on again by putting them in the case and taking them out again. None of the TWS in ears I’ve tried or owned have had on/off functionality actually in the earpieces

Users who are viewing this thread

Back