Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Jan 24, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #842 of 1,494
Call quality has improved after latest update!

That was also what they wrote in the release note. I have not yet made a phone call with them so don’t know

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #843 of 1,494
Just turn off ANC.

Thank you for this; that solved it. Can't believe I didn't realize that. I was under impression it was making same noise with ANC on or off. I was wrong. Thanks.

Random aside, but had to put on larger eartips to get a good seal. Used my large Shure eartips. Case lid barely closes, but fit is MUCH improved for me. The curse of having large ear holes!

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #844 of 1,494
My original set of Sony WF-1000XM3's did successfully pair with this Windows 10 64bit laptop. This, my replacement set I have not successfully paired. Windows just showed pairing with LE-Bose earbuds. My non-bluetooth enabled Bose are wired only QuietComfort 20's, and they're turned off. I have to assume that the laptop is mistaking the Sony's for Bose. What might I try to get these Sony's paired with this laptop?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #846 of 1,494
Anyone got custom EQs they care to share? Only got my Sonys today so just playing around right now - but wondered if there's any accepted decent EQs?

Here’s my V-shape EQ. I listen to punk/ska and this works for me as I can hear cymbals, guitars and bass lines very well.

10418666.png

Attachments

• 47FD77EB-471A-4AF4-A410-F5CCBE229C2A.png
    47FD77EB-471A-4AF4-A410-F5CCBE229C2A.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #848 of 1,494
Summary of my impressions

The latest XM3 true wireless (TW) from Sony is a great TW option for the audiophile. Compared to the Airpod Pro, the sound is more natural and realistic. The overall tone is closer to reference than consumer tuning. There is a little low mid warmth and plenty of sparkle on the top end but definitely not the V shaped consumer sound. ANC performance is good. Since this is an IEM, it won't have the performance of full size over ear, but it's more than enough for even classical music at moderate volume. Battery life is great - I got a solid 5 hours straight with ANC on my most recent flight. Definitely worth a try if you are looking for a TW solution. I will definitely try next generation models as I believe the technology will only get better.

My history of ANC Headphones

WH-1000X - Overall an OK solution. Sound was decent but low and high end were not very detailed. ANC was good. Worst part was pads did not breath so very warm on the ears.

WH-1000XM2 - Much better version across the board. However, for me the ANC created a negative pressure feeling in my ears that I don't like. Bose does the same thing. Pads still pretty warm and overall design still bulky compared to IEMs. I used these for about 3 months before deciding not for me because found myself reaching for my wired IEMs. Best version of WH series by far.

WH-1000XM3 - What a hot mess! Lower mids and bass elevated and muddy. I honestly thought my pair were broken until I read similar impressions. These were returned within a couple days. Have no idea What Sony was thinking. For those who want full size over ear find the XM2 version before they disappear!

Airpods Pro - Very impressive design. Still feels more ear bud than IEM so very comfortable. ANC reminds me of the negative pressure again. Sound is more consumer but well short of Beats consumer. Treble has sparkle and air but sounds pretty digital. Low end is not overly warm but not very defined either. It was only when my daughter asked for a pair, I decided just to give her mine and try the Sony and found a renewed one on Amazon for $150.

More details on WF-1000XM3

Like most IEMs, it took a lot of trial and error with ear tips to find a comfortable fit that sounds right. Airpod Pro definitely is superior in this regard. I ended up using the SS size silicon tips that came with my IER-Z1R. I'm pretty sure you want to insert these as far as they will go in the ear canals to get best isolation and sound. Unlike Airpod Pro, some of the sound isolation is passive so a deep, tight seal is required for XM3. Even with the right ear tips, it's still a bit of work to get these things in one's ears. Sony even has a diagram that shows how to insert and rotate for a tight seal. For those who have never used IEMs and don't like the feeling of the slight pressure, definitely go with Airpod Pro.

As far as connectivity goes, the Sony mobile app does more than Apple iOS for Airpod Pro. The big difference is system wide EQ in the Sony app, but it also has configurable ANC and other sound options. One of those options is the DSEE HX feature that is suppose to improve sound but I found it kills battery life by almost 50% so not worth it IMHO.

What I like best about the ANC feature is how natural it feels. I don't get the negative air pressure feeling and it seems to reduce more of the frequency spectrum than Airpod Pro which seems to focus more on lower. Based on some of the better passive isolating IEMs I've had that reduce about 26 dB, I'm guessing XM3 goes to about 35 dB or so which means it would reduce external noise by about another 50%. Definitely don't expect a tomb like silence.

Lastly, some may feel that AAC or SBC are not audiophile quality like LDAC or AptX. While true on paper, I find that Apple iOS does a very good job of optimizing AAC playback. I have not tried SBC, but using AAC all videos I tried - Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video play perfectly sync'd on my iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Pro, and Macbook Pro.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #849 of 1,494
Anyone got custom EQs they care to share? Only got my Sonys today so just playing around right now - but wondered if there's any accepted decent EQs?

01E658BD-B814-4EDE-943B-7AF6D159F544.jpeg

Feb 8, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #851 of 1,494
were you trying to make it sound like Z1R?

Yes. It’s good but not a Z1R. Still if I had to sell all my gear I could live with this and my phone and still enjoy my music

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #852 of 1,494
Yes. It’s good but not a Z1R. Still if I had to sell all my gear I could live with this and my phone and still enjoy my music

Same. Ive been using these a bit more recently as I’ve started commuting to my office and they are surprisingly great. Soundstage and layering are way better than I expected. Bass is a little flabby but other than that, I really enjoy them.

Feb 8, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #853 of 1,494
Thanks for the EQ. I just recently got these while trying to sell all my gears. I was honestly surprised how good it sounds with no EQ. Quite balanced.

I'm still learning how to "twist" it in my ear (so it can stay horizontally like Sony instruction) . Somehow they feel loose. Maybe I got used to smaller iem...

Feb 8, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #854 of 1,494
Thanks for the EQ. I just recently got these while trying to sell all my gears. I was honestly surprised how good it sounds with no EQ. Quite balanced.

I'm still learning how to "twist" it in my ear (so it can stay horizontally like Sony instruction) . Somehow they feel loose. Maybe I got used to smaller iem...

I have big ears and use Final Audio E LL tips and that works very well

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #855 of 1,494
I've been spending some time with these babies. Just in case anyone need:
  1. Symbio (with foam): Clear and tight + keep it balanced. If you find stock too bassy (or loose), these might help. Note: fit the case with Small size, Medium can barely fit
  2. Spiral Dots: airy with expense of some low-ends, smooth. If too bassy, these probably help.
  3. Sprial Dots +: same with the normal version. Note: the nozzle is bigger so looser fit. They might stay in your ears when you try to take them out.
  4. Stock tips Silicone: neutral with little warmth. Kinda bassy for me but perfectly pleasant to listen. Good for commute.
  5. Stock tips Foam: ehh....okay-ish. I feel like it the extension is a bit off. They don't stay on my ears so I didn't bother testing further
  6. Final: Kinda similar to stock tips silicone. Feels better though. They also extend a bit further than stock.
  7. Comply: I don't like it. Better fit overall though. Comes with pros and cons of foam.
  8. Sedna Light: AIR......HIGH-RES....... They do not fit in the case regardless of size. Unless you wanna push the cap down.
For EQ:

@ Symbio (with foam): I LOVE LOVE Treble profile and +2 ClearBass. This is my go-to profile. You can tweak a little to make it "sounds closer to IER-Z1R" (airy, punchy, tight).
***** ClearBass = +2 | 400 = 0 or -1 | 1k = +3 | 2.5k = +5 | 6.3k = +5 | 15.6k = +9 ***** [The settings are based off some users here]
Note: I don't recommend using this EQ for wider bore like Spiral or Sedna. It sounds harsh (cymbals crashes are harsh). You can turn down the EQ as well. Nozzle size like Symbio and smaller would be perfect. Adjust ClearBass to your likings.

@ Stock tips: honestly the OFF option sounds really balance already.

@ Spiral: good with OFF (better than stock IMO)

I hope someone will find this helpful :)
I'd love to hear more recommendations on set-up as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back