Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #616 of 1,494
In that case you would've been better saying the fit was your issue.

I find complaining about the SQ of the M3 in comparison to the AirPods Pro a strange one, especially since the M3 EQs so well, whereas the AirPods only comes in one flavour of sound and currently no option to tip roll.

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #618 of 1,494
Interesting comments about the Airpods Pro shrill treble - I'm not noticing that after a few hours of listening, but there was a glare in the treble of the XM3s w/ ANC on (used about 20 hours before returning) that I could not quite get used to. I did not play with the EQ though.

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #619 of 1,494
Interesting comments about the Airpods Pro shrill treble - I'm not noticing that after a few hours of listening, but there was a glare in the treble of the XM3s w/ ANC on (used about 20 hours before returning) that I could not quite get used to. I did not play with the EQ though.
EQ on Sony headphones pretty drastically change the sound of the earphone. Thats the beauty of those headphones if you're willing to spend a little time to customize the sound.

I've been extremely happy with the following EQ:
400: +1
1k: +1
2.5k: +2
6.3k: 0
15.6k: +1

Clearbass: +2

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #620 of 1,494
EQ on Sony headphones pretty drastically change the sound of the earphone. Thats the beauty of those headphones if you're willing to spend a little time to customize the sound.

I've been extremely happy with the following EQ:
400: +1
1k: +1
2.5k: +2
6.3k: 0
15.6k: +1

Clearbass: +2

This is mine

4148DFEA-DE46-43BC-88EA-52E7D6062B61.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #622 of 1,494
Me neither. I didn't like the kinda flabby uncontrolled bass and the weird treble sparkle of the XM3. Airpod Pro sound is definitely balanced and sound normal in comparison. Sound quality of the Airpod Pro is generally better.

What I'm curious about is the adaptive EQ. If it's automatically active as I have it on, as it sounds balanced.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #623 of 1,494
Me neither. I didn't like the kinda flabby uncontrolled bass and the weird treble sparkle of the XM3. Airpod Pro sound is definitely balanced and sound normal in comparison. Sound quality of the Airpod Pro is generally better.

What I'm curious about is the adaptive EQ. If it's automatically active as I have it on, as it sounds balanced.

It is, it's part of the ANC and can't be turned off - so basically it's part of their audio shaping algo. It seems like we're pretty much in the minority here, there are an awful lot of reviewers saying the XM3s edge out the Airpods on SQ, and the rest say they're on par. I feel like it's just a handful of us on Head-fi saying otherwise and I have to respect that.

I feel Airpods are superior just going off the fact that I don't have any glaring issues w/ the sound presentation, but all the same, if I had the XM3s in my hands again I might feel they're technically superior aside from those presentation issues which could have been fixed w/ eq.

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #624 of 1,494
My XM3s were great until the AirPods Pro. SQ is about the same - you can nitpick at it, but once you're using them outside, there are some minor sound differences, but these are not meant for critical listening. I'd say the XM3s have the edge with a highly configurable EQ, but to these 45 yr old ears, it's close enough to not matter.

Prefer the XM3's NC to the AirPods Pro but not by any order of magnitude.

AirPods Pro superior on phone calls - by a wide margin. With transparency mode enabled, it feels the most natural to have long phone conversation without the "finger in the ear" sensation.

But in the biggest "forgot how much I missed it" category, the XM3s lack of multipoint was frustrating from day 1. Moving between Mac/iPhone/iPad easily puts me back in my happy place again.

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #625 of 1,494
It is, it's part of the ANC and can't be turned off - so basically it's part of their audio shaping algo. It seems like we're pretty much in the minority here, there are an awful lot of reviewers saying the XM3s edge out the Airpods on SQ, and the rest say they're on par. I feel like it's just a handful of us on Head-fi saying otherwise and I have to respect that.

I feel Airpods are superior just going off the fact that I don't have any glaring issues w/ the sound presentation, but all the same, if I had the XM3s in my hands again I might feel they're technically superior aside from those presentation issues which could have been fixed w/ eq.

Had forgotten about "adaptive EQ", can't say I've noticed anything out of the ordinary here. ANC can certainly be turned off though or did you mean something else ?

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #627 of 1,494
There’s EQ settings in iOS, although not the multi-band EQ ... Settings > Music > EQ.

I know - as I said in my early impression the iOS EQ is not system wide, that setting only applies to the Apple Music app, not helpful to those not using the Apple Music app, especially people who might be streaming or use another player.

The M3’s EQ is system wide - huge difference.

I would maintain that if your main usage is music listening with some other stuff mixed in the M3 is the better choice. If you use your earphone for equal bits of everything and is fine with the sound as is, the AirPods Pro noticeably more convenient UX and complete video/audio sync is quite hard to beat.

EDIT: on the train now, the ANC on the Sony is definitely better. The ANC on the Pros are good enough but I don’t get the full silence of the M3, partially thanks to the deeper insert of the M3 as well. Also lack of intelligent adaptive NC on the Pro puts the M3 slightly ahead in the NC department.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #628 of 1,494
I know - as I said in my early impression the iOS EQ is not system wide, that setting only applies to the Apple Music app, not helpful to those not using the Apple Music app, especially people who might be streaming or use another player.

The M3’s EQ is system wide - huge difference.

I would maintain that if your main usage is music listening with some other stuff mixed in the M3 is the better choice. If you use your earphone for equal bits of everything and is fine with the sound as is, the AirPods Pro noticeably more convenient UX and complete video/audio sync is quite hard to beat.

EDIT: on the train now, the ANC on the Sony is definitely better. The ANC on the Pros are good enough but I don’t get the full silence of the M3, partially thanks to the deeper insert of the M3 as well. Also lack of intelligent adaptive NC on the Pro puts the M3 slightly ahead in the NC department.

Really? I found the ANC on the Sony's as "fine", but the AirPod Pros as "outstanding".

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #629 of 1,494
Really? I found the ANC on the Sony's as "fine", but the AirPod Pros as "outstanding".

I’m hearing a lot more background announcements and chatter from surroundings on the Pros, with the M3 if I turn the ANC to max I get nothing from the outside. Plus I can adjust the level of NC on the M3, the Pros only has one setting. So yeah, M3 ANC is better to me, but I’m also willing to admit that is also probably because I’m using a very tight heat sensitive silicone ear tips on my M3 that gives a much better seal, so having the ability to tip roll is an advantage of the M3 over the Pros here to give a better NC experience.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #630 of 1,494
What ear tips are these ? The only way I could get a decent and (reasonably) lasting seal with the M3s was by ramming in the Final E LL (or Comply T200) in my ear canals and that was just not sustainable for long sessions, not counting the annoyance at having to fit them in again if they had to be pulled out. Contrast to the APP that you just drop in your ear in, job done, and you can keep them for hours with zero pressure/pain. There's really no contest. As for ANC in a "controlled" environment with this "Cabin Noise" video below at full volume the APP do nearly as well as the "best in class" QC25 and slightly better than the Sony's, what more can you ask for ? Ah yes, a better price :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back