Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Dec 24, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #3,017 of 4,333
image.jpg
Merry christmas

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #3,018 of 4,333
Will the MDR benefit from pure silver or silver coated headphone cables, right now I have the Sony branded Kimber on it
High quality silver cable for me. Silver coated copper can sound bright with boomy bass.

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #3,019 of 4,333
…...and…?
What would you like to know? The HD820 beside the recessed midrange is a wonderful headphones as long as you have good seal. Don’t expect it to be HD800s good though but it works well with the DMP.

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #3,021 of 4,333
How fast is the bass on Hd820?
What would you like to know? The HD820 beside the recessed midrange is a wonderful headphones as long as you have good seal. Don’t expect it to be HD800s good though but it works well with the DMP.

I was interested to compare the two, because ideally I like to use closed back headphones. Thanks for your feedback. ( Sorry, messed up the quoting. )

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #3,022 of 4,333
Recently, my curiosity lead me to buy second hand DMP-Z1 for matching my 1266 phi tc with superconductor. I've sold all headphones except 1266, my favorate beloved one.
Previously, I matched 1266 with WA8. I know there are many good amp options for 1266 but my decision of WA8 depends on its compactness. So such position is going well with DMP-Z1.
I compared 4.4 vs 3.5 socket and compared several options. 4.4 is louder than 3.5 but has a little bit cloudy feeling. 3.5 is more neutral than 4.4 but needs more volume up for 1266.
I felt WA8 drives 90% of 1266's potential and it was enough for me. On the other hand, DMP-Z1 does just 5-60% of 1266.
I tried some IEMs and was so good for me through 3.5 (especially VE erlkonig for its expanded soundstage) But I'm frankly a little disappointed with its matching with 1266, especially through its 4.4
There is few matching experience of 1266 with dmp in this post. I left it for just information.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #3,023 of 4,333
Recently, my curiosity lead me to buy second hand DMP-Z1 for matching my 1266 phi tc with superconductor. I've sold all headphones except 1266, my favorate beloved one.
Previously, I matched 1266 with WA8. I know there are many good amp options for 1266 but my decision of WA8 depends on its compactness. So such position is going well with DMP-Z1.
I compared 4.4 vs 3.5 socket and compared several options. 4.4 is louder than 3.5 but has a little bit cloudy feeling. 3.5 is more neutral than 4.4 but needs more volume up for 1266.
I felt WA8 drives 90% of 1266's potential and it was enough for me. On the other hand, DMP-Z1 does just 5-60% of 1266.
I tried some IEMs and was nice for me through 3.5 (especially VE erlkonig for its expanded sound area) But I'm frankly disappointed with its matching with 1266, especially through its 4.4
There is few matching experience of 1266 with dmp in this post. I left it for just information.

Good information, thanks for sharing.

I used to drive my 1266 from the speaker taps of a Yamaha as-3200. The source / pream was a nw wm1z.

Great combo bypassing the preamp of the Yamaha, it was basically plugging an amplifier to the S-Master.

However, this was only possible via 3.5 to RCA; via 4.4 to dual XLR connection I had to play with two volume controls.

I wondered about connecting the 1266 to a DMP-Z1, and I could have pursued that path but I took the lack of 1/6'' and 4 pin XLR in the DMP-Z1 as an indication that wasn't made for TOLT planars. Have you considered the DX300 max? I have read a couple of comments indicating that it drives the 1266 fine.

As a comment aside, the DMP-Z1 seems to be out of stock in Australia. Is this due to shortwages with the AKM chip? Or it is going to be discontinued?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #3,024 of 4,333
b_2874607032.jpg

You can use this kind of adaptor to use 1266 via 4.4 socket of dmp. I've heard the performance of DX300max and DX300max ti and am quite interested in those new daps. Dmp seems to be out of stock in many countries. IMO, dmp is an unique source for sure.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #3,025 of 4,333
Well I thought I’d post my monthly photo…..5 months in, 1040 hours now, 178 hours for the month, a little down on usage this month, but I knew December would be.

After these number of hours listening, it can feel quite normalised now, which I guess is no surprise, but I’m just listening to a Slade compilation, a group I’ve listened to since the age of 9 & it’s amazing to hear the correct texture of instruments, nearly 50 years later. This is what continues to amaze, the true sound of instruments, not forgetting vocals.

Anyway, till next time……wishing you all a Happy New Year…..& a better 2022, for everyone….

Attachments

• C8B109B7-E655-4B39-B685-178A2E69CF6B.jpeg
    C8B109B7-E655-4B39-B685-178A2E69CF6B.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Dec 30, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #3,027 of 4,333
@cat3600 what are your toughts on DMP vs M17?
So I did some pretty extensive listening to both units I played Diana Krall, Annie Lennox, Eagles, Patricia Barber, Adel and the other usual music and feel both are quite different so personally could not come to a definite conclusion if one is better than the other.

Bass
Bass is more fuller on the DMP and deeper, the M17 has a bass which is quicker its still plenty but I feel on the M17 bass is music dependent while on the Sony it's always there.

Treble
The M17 has a sharper treble not unrefined though very clean, on DMP female vocals sound very smooth maybe too much and a touch laid back.

Midrange
On the DMP vocals are silky and intimate, if there is a rasp in the male voice or some edginess for the female Sony's house sound signature is in full effect here. On the M17 the Midrange is more accurate but not as intimate, hence probably the reason one can listen to the DMP for hours.

I am no reviewer I am just a layman. When I see reviews on YouTube or read reviews I always wondered how they manage to say or describe that many characteristics of an audio system 🤔 lol hats off to those guys!

DMP I feel the sound stage is not wider but deeper in fact it feels the singer is right next to my ears, I am in the middle of the stage surrounded by the the singer and all the instruments. On the M17 I feel the sound stage is much wider as if I am sitting in the first few rows of a concert as I can pin point the different instruments much better left to right. The DMP is more intimate like a headphone system should be and the M17 I feel I am sitting in front of my home stereo....does it even make sense what I am saying lol.

The M17 is very good the dynamics can scale up pretty big is it better than the DMP absolutely not but just different. Both are very good and I would be hard pressed to decide if I was buying from scratch. But if I had a choice of only one I'd go with the M17 not because of the sound but more for the convenience of streaming and way more connection options, Fiio has done an incredible job. Having said that the DMP is very special something about the sound I guess makes it so unique, it would be very difficult for me to sell if it ever crossed my mind.

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #3,028 of 4,333
BTW I did all my listening with the MDR so all the above comments are pertaining to one single headphone on both DMP and M17.

I just started listening to them both with my Meze Rai Penta and the Sony feels very different and this brings me to my initial evaluation earlier that maybe the MDR is not the right headphone for the DMP I am having a blast on the DMP with the Rai Penta!

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #3,029 of 4,333
So I did some pretty extensive listening to both units I played Diana Krall, Annie Lennox, Eagles, Patricia Barber, Adel and the other usual music and feel both are quite different so personally could not come to a definite conclusion if one is better than the other.

Bass
Bass is more fuller on the DMP and deeper, the M17 has a bass which is quicker its still plenty but I feel on the M17 bass is music dependent while on the Sony it's always there.

Treble
The M17 has a sharper treble not unrefined though very clean, on DMP female vocals sound very smooth maybe too much and a touch laid back.

Midrange
On the DMP vocals are silky and intimate, if there is a rasp in the male voice or some edginess for the female Sony's house sound signature is in full effect here. On the M17 the Midrange is more accurate but not as intimate, hence probably the reason one can listen to the DMP for hours.

I am no reviewer I am just a layman. When I see reviews on YouTube or read reviews I always wondered how they manage to say or describe that many characteristics of an audio system 🤔 lol hats off to those guys!

DMP I feel the sound stage is not wider but deeper in fact it feels the singer is right next to my ears, I am in the middle of the stage surrounded by the the singer and all the instruments. On the M17 I feel the sound stage is much wider as if I am sitting in the first few rows of a concert as I can pin point the different instruments much better left to right. The DMP is more intimate like a headphone system should be and the M17 I feel I am sitting in front of my home stereo....does it even make sense what I am saying lol.

The M17 is very good the dynamics can scale up pretty big is it better than the DMP absolutely not but just different. Both are very good and I would be hard pressed to decide if I was buying from scratch. But if I had a choice of only one I'd go with the M17 not because of the sound but more for the convenience of streaming and way more connection options, Fiio has done an incredible job. Having said that the DMP is very special something about the sound I guess makes it so unique, it would be very difficult for me to sell if it ever crossed my mind.
Excellent review in comparison. Thanks for doing it for us!! I’d be interested in hearing your feedback of these two auditioned on Hifiman planar magnetic headphones. Hopefully you will get a hold of them for your next review. Great Job and thanks again!!

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #3,030 of 4,333
Excellent review in comparison. Thanks for doing it for us!! I’d be interested in hearing your feedback of these two auditioned on Hifiman planar magnetic headphones. Hopefully you will get a hold of them for your next review. Great Job and thanks again!!
Thanks, I am planning to audition a few headphones for the DMP including the Meze Liric, I will also try Hifiman. I have to wait a bit as in the last few months I bought the M17, M11 Plus and the Rai Penta so funds are tight now.

But my next buy will be a headphone for the DMP and move the MDR to the M17 it sounds very good with the M17. Maybe I will sell the M11 Plus not sure if I need it now that I have the M17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back