Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Dec 31, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #3,031 of 4,319
So I did some pretty extensive listening to both units I played Diana Krall, Annie Lennox, Eagles, Patricia Barber, Adel and the other usual music and feel both are quite different so personally could not come to a definite conclusion if one is better than the other.

Bass
Bass is more fuller on the DMP and deeper, the M17 has a bass which is quicker its still plenty but I feel on the M17 bass is music dependent while on the Sony it's always there.

Treble
The M17 has a sharper treble not unrefined though very clean, on DMP female vocals sound very smooth maybe too much and a touch laid back.

Midrange
On the DMP vocals are silky and intimate, if there is a rasp in the male voice or some edginess for the female Sony's house sound signature is in full effect here. On the M17 the Midrange is more accurate but not as intimate, hence probably the reason one can listen to the DMP for hours.

I am no reviewer I am just a layman. When I see reviews on YouTube or read reviews I always wondered how they manage to say or describe that many characteristics of an audio system 🤔 lol hats off to those guys!

DMP I feel the sound stage is not wider but deeper in fact it feels the singer is right next to my ears, I am in the middle of the stage surrounded by the the singer and all the instruments. On the M17 I feel the sound stage is much wider as if I am sitting in the first few rows of a concert as I can pin point the different instruments much better left to right. The DMP is more intimate like a headphone system should be and the M17 I feel I am sitting in front of my home stereo....does it even make sense what I am saying lol.

The M17 is very good the dynamics can scale up pretty big is it better than the DMP absolutely not but just different. Both are very good and I would be hard pressed to decide if I was buying from scratch. But if I had a choice of only one I'd go with the M17 not because of the sound but more for the convenience of streaming and way more connection options, Fiio has done an incredible job. Having said that the DMP is very special something about the sound I guess makes it so unique, it would be very difficult for me to sell if it ever crossed my mind.
Not the best music choice, typical pop woth dobious mastering.

With fine classical music recordings would have been better. IMO DMP and MDR-Z1R are a superb match for m, i dont know if its my particular Z1R (low serial number), the music or the dmp region CEW (west europe)?

But i can tell you, good masters shinwe on the SMP regardless of file format , i recwntly “upgraded” a Mercury records Living presence CD release of Mussorgskys Pictures at an Exhibition with Antal Dorati in the orchestra version and Byron Janis on the piano solo version, upgraded to DSD64 wow wow, suddenly the piano became so real sounding and the orchestra version less piercing

Dec 31, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #3,032 of 4,319

With fine classical music recordings would have been better. IMO DMP and MDR-Z1R are a superb match for m, i dont know if its my particular Z1R (low serial number), the music or the dmp region CEW (west europe)?

But i can tell you, good masters shinwe on the SMP regardless of file format , i recwntly “upgraded” a Mercury records Living presence CD release of Mussorgskys Pictures at an Exhibition with Antal Dorati in the orchestra version and Byron Janis on the piano solo version, upgraded to DSD64 wow wow, suddenly the piano became so real sounding and the orchestra version less piercing
Well I mostly listen to female vocal jazz for my auditions or critical evaluation otherwise I listen to every thing else except I don't listen to any rap and hip off and all the latest pop which I can't stand. I grew up in the 80s and 90s so of course I listen to those as well, I also listen to movie sound tracks and in the car electronic dance music.

Not everyone listens to classical but of course it's a genre well liked and evaluated by many others :)

Dec 31, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #3,033 of 4,319
I listened to the DMP first in berlin back in may, this was done with a quad balanced armature IER-M7 , despite not being as resolving as my Z1Rs (both the can and the In-ear) it struck me at first listen wow.

Thwn i started evaluating options to get a new DAP/transportable,

None of the andtoid offerings quite made for me b cause
A) i dont stream, it’s a waste of money vs put chasing files ir CDs only one time rather than “renting” them
B) none of the newer DAP offered a dual SD slot, i have now 1.46TB in local files

C) i drmoed a dx300 non max, disnt appeal me sonically
D) i ich anted a special summit fi sony audio system
E) i wanted a WM1Z but the dmp proved more power is better

Dec 31, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #3,034 of 4,319
I listened to the DMP first in berlin back in may, this was done with a quad balanced armature IER-M7 , despite not being as resolving as my Z1Rs (both the can and the In-ear) it struck me at first listen wow.

Thwn i started evaluating options to get a new DAP/transportable,

None of the andtoid offerings quite made for me b cause
A) i dont stream, it’s a waste of money vs put chasing files ir CDs only one time rather than “renting” them
B) none of the newer DAP offered a dual SD slot, i have now 1.46TB in local files

C) i drmoed a dx300 non max, disnt appeal me sonically
D) i ich anted a special summit fi sony audio system
E) i wanted a WM1Z but the dmp proved more power is better
I mainly stream from Tidal or Amazon but did get a 1tb micro SD card this winter and planning to get a few more 1tb cards as the prices have dropped.

The M17 is terrific and I will be using it along with the DMP. The DMP will always remain in the realms of being an unique experience that's why probably I will never sell it.

I only started this headphone hobby last year when I bought the DMP before that I was only into home hifi. Both are expensive hobbies so I have to be careful how much money I spend on both systems as with headphone audio things can get pretty wild as well.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #3,035 of 4,319
I mainly stream from Tidal or Amazon but did get a 1tb micro SD card this winter and planning to get a few more 1tb cards as the prices have dropped.

The M17 is terrific and I will be using it along with the DMP. The DMP will always remain in the realms of being an unique experience that's why probably I will never sell it.

I only started this headphone hobby last year when I bought the DMP before that I was only into home hifi. Both are expensive hobbies so I have to be careful how much money I spend on both systems as with headphone audio things can get pretty wild as well.
I recently tried amazon Mudic HD and dolby atmos sounded plasticy artificial, the HD tracks for most music sounded good tho, but classical lacked bass and impact. To avoid bias i decided to test an album of mine both with headphones and with the sonos Wifi speakers and the difference between a CD master annd the remastered on amazon music was obvious. The flac (actually converted to AAC VBR 256kbits/s for the sonos) the local files ripped from my CDs or SACDs and downloads from qobuz and presto classical sounded much better with full bodied notes, while the amazon equivalents lacked in bass or sounded artificial.

until now i think spotify and qobuz sound best to me as for streaming goes and for downloads qobuz or presto classical

Dec 31, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #3,036 of 4,319
I am feeling the burn in, I is opening up and bloosoming nicely. About to hit 300 hours s, yeah, i l ft it playing the whole noght and i will do the same today

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #3,038 of 4,319
I found an interview today, that finally gives the whole picture about the DMP-Z1 vs TA-ZH1ES topic.

https://online.stereosound.co.jp/_ct/17225928

Combined with the other official interviews released from Sony, the summary is the following:

Sony thinks the S-Master HX provides the best sound possible. But this comes with several issues.

It can only produce 250mW output power and it needs a lot of hardware to perform as good as possible.

This hardware does not fit into an portable player.

That is why the TA-ZH1ES, it was designed to provide the best sound that is possible with the S-Master HX by removing all size restrictions. It uses different and lager capacitors, larger LCs, S-Tact, an analog amp for error correction at higher output power just to name a few.

So the TA-ZH1ES is the definitive device combining the advantages of an digital amp with an analog amp without any size restrictions. The best of all worlds.

But the TA-ZH1ES does have several issues

- it doesn't contain an player
- it needs a large power supply (>=100V)
- The power source needs to be clean

The DMP-Z1 was designed to solve these issues, but also had one major issue itself. With batteries, you can not produce enough voltage to run the D.A. Hybrid Amp from the TA-ZH1ES.

So the DMP-Z1 solves most of the issues the TA-ZH1ES has, but with the compromise of not having the S-Master HX due to the lack of power.

They wanted to put the S-Master HX into the DMP-Z1 because they think it sounds better, but they couldn't. If they could have made it, they would have made it. That is an important thing to keep in mind. Technical limitations are the reason the DMP-Z1 does not use the S-Master HX due to the restriction of battery's as an power source.

They tuned the analog amp to get as close to the TA-ZH1ES sound as possible with the limitations of an analog amp because the TA-ZH1ES is the reference, but still with the limitations of an analog amp.

They are not meant to replace each other.

The TA-ZH1ES can not replace the DMP-Z1 because it doesn't have an player and needs an clean, >=100V power source. So no portability at all.

The DMP-Z1 can not replace the TA-ZH1ES because it doesn't have enough power for the D.A. Hybrid Amp.

So there is no VS. They are different products meant for different use cases.

If the most important thing for your is portability, the NW-WM1Z is the best device.

If all you care about is the highest sound quality, no matter what, the TA-ZH1ES is the best device.

If you want an sound that gets as close to the TA-ZH1ES as possible but don't want to plug in an additional player, need portability or can not provide a clean power source, the DMP-Z1 is the best device.

If you want all of the above, you have to buy all the devices. The DMP-Z1 can not replace the NW-WM1Z and it can not replace the TA-ZH1ES. You have to buy all 3 if you want to have everything.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #3,039 of 4,319
If all you care about is the highest sound quality, no matter what, the DMP-Z1 is the best device.

Before you troll your mouth off, as per usual, I’ve owned the TA-ZH1ES for nearly 4 years & I’m almost certain that any owner of both devices will tell you that for pure sound quality, the DMP-Z1 wins hands down.

No one who OWNS both the devices is going to tell you that the TA is better.

Jan 2, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #3,040 of 4,319
If all you care about is the highest sound quality, no matter what, the DMP-Z1 is the best device.

Before you troll your mouth off, as per usual, I’ve owned the TA-ZH1ES for nearly 4 years & I’m almost certain that any owner of both devices will tell you that for pure sound quality, the DMP-Z1 wins hands down.

No one who OWNS both the devices is going to tell you that the TA is better.
Vamp666.jpg

Jan 3, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #3,041 of 4,319

My friend, I think that’s based on assumption & bias towards classical music, ( with respect ) to think that those music genre’s / artists must have dubious mastering ?? You make it quite clear to everyone, that you don’t listen to anything but classical music, which obviously is your choice, but I think it’s inaccurate to come to those conclusions.

I have classical music / soundtracks, amongst my music collection & I will agree with you that the DMP is the most controlled, regards any orchestral music. Those piercing highs / moments, that you experience with other devices. Without doubt the DMP plays back orchestral music, the best I’ve heard, but it excels with every music genre.

If something is well mastered, recorded, produced, then it will truly shine with the DMP, it will also show flaws, with not so well produced music, but even with those examples, it shows the music, in it’s best light, mainly down to the magical DSD Remastering Engine.

Jan 3, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #3,042 of 4,319
I think it's just music. It sounds good, I listen to it. Keeping it simple.

We sometimes create our own problems :sweat_smile:

Jan 4, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #3,045 of 4,319
The meze Liric tour has officially kicked off. So when there are 4 reviewers behind me and wveryone geta 2W review period. I can get zpect more or less to have them in 8 weeks @cat3600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back