Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Nov 7, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,702 of 4,291
Just like how the TA compliments the IER and MDR as well. Having those cans makes it really hard to discern which device is better than the other. Still, the DMP is a collector piece, an eventual antique perhaps down the road
Of course there is a difference between WM1A and DMP and its pretty obvious. Wm1A sound is inferior pretty Mid-fi

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #2,703 of 4,291
@Whitigir @purk you both have opened and modded your DMP. Is the batteries like in WM1A soldered in the boatd ot it is connected to a multi-pin terminal? )socket)
Whitigr modded my DMP. Of course, I was able to compare side by side a stock unit and the one that he modded for me (the mod one was original his) before making the purchase.

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #2,704 of 4,291
Of course there is a difference between WM1A and DMP and its pretty obvious. Wm1A sound is inferior pretty Mid-fi
Very much agreed. There is no substitute for having more *quality* horsepower on tap.

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #2,705 of 4,291
Does anybody of the DMP-Z1 owners were able to test the Shanling EM5?

I trust Z Reviews and he gets crazy about it. I am now highly interested about a comparison.

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #2,706 of 4,291

I trust Z Reviews and he gets crazy about it. I am now highly interested about a comparison.
Then buy the Shanling EM5 and save your money. These two products are not even on the same price bracket. The DMP-Z1 can compete with a top tier separates comprising of a system such as a Headamp GSX MKII, Matrix X-Sabre Pro, and a digital transport. Yes, it doesn’t have all the power in the world but the sound quality is really refined. Don’t pay a full retailed price though, but I personally think it is a good deal if u can find one for under $6k. Having a big gold knob doesn’t make it an equal.

Nov 7, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #2,707 of 4,291
Never forget your roots. Despite the performance difference, it doesn't mean the 1A is garbage. I'll always enjoy it along with the TA.

Nov 7, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #2,708 of 4,291

The Shanling EM5 is a dedicated network streamer, while the DMP-Z1 is a dedicated standalone player.

Somehow I don't see anyone would be interested in both products to be honest as they serve two extreme opposite ends of the usage scenario.

Nov 7, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #2,709 of 4,291
The Shanling EM5 is a dedicated network streamer, while the DMP-Z1 is a dedicated standalone player.

Somehow I don't see anyone would be interested in both products to be honest as they serve two extreme opposite ends of the usage scenario.
B9BB43C5-BE95-4436-8BC4-DBB121027EC0.png

Due to the glass top and gold knob; it’s a ghetto DMP-Z1.

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #2,710 of 4,291
B9BB43C5-BE95-4436-8BC4-DBB121027EC0.png

Due to the glass top and gold knob; it’s a ghetto DMP-Z1.

LOL.
Seriously though as a DMP-Z1 owner I simply don't see how a Shanling EM5 would fit into my music life.

As a DAC/amp with all the right headphone outputs, I can see it being used as something which connects to my PC, but then I have no use for the Android features at all as my PC is VASTLY more powerful than anything Android can offer when it comes to music and music manipulation, in which case I can spend better money elsewhere to just get a less fancy but better quality dumb DAC/amp combo. My KEF speakers are already streaming and Roon capable, so I don't need another streaming box to feed the speakers. It's not even a bedside companion/take anywhere in the house device like the DMP-Z1 either as it is AC powered, and if push comes to shove I can connect my iPad to the DMP-Z1 and I get exactly the same functionality as the EM5, but way more transportable.

I simply don't see any usage scenario for the EM5 that my current devices don't already serve or does better, it also doesn't consolidate anything. Unless it's talking about MOAR POWA or something, but I have no use for that either.

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #2,711 of 4,291
Nov 7, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #2,712 of 4,291
Found on line:

“We have a term here [at a car dealership], 'There's an ass for every seat.' Once in a while you get a car that's ugly . . . . It's a car that you think, Oh my gosh, nobody' s ever going to buy that one. And sure enough, somebody'll come in and say, 'just what I've always wanted'”
LOL.
Seriously though as a DMP-Z1 owner I simply don't see how a Shanling EM5 would fit into my music life.

As a DAC/amp with all the right headphone outputs, I can see it being used as something which connects to my PC, but then I have no use for the Android features at all as my PC is VASTLY more powerful than anything Android can offer when it comes to music and music manipulation, in which case I can spend better money elsewhere to just get a less fancy but better quality dumb DAC/amp combo. My KEF speakers are already streaming and Roon capable, so I don't need another streaming box to feed the speakers. It's not even a bedside companion/take anywhere in the house device like the DMP-Z1 either as it is AC powered, and if push comes to shove I can connect my iPad to the DMP-Z1 and I get exactly the same functionality as the EM5, but way more transportable.

I simply don't see any usage scenario for the EM5 that my current devices don't already serve or does better, it also doesn't consolidate anything. Unless it's talking about MOAR POWA or something, but I have no use for that either.

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #2,713 of 4,291
Found on line:

“We have a term here [at a car dealership], 'There's an ass for every seat.' Once in a while you get a car that's ugly . . . . It's a car that you think, Oh my gosh, nobody' s ever going to buy that one. And sure enough, somebody'll come in and say, 'just what I've always wanted'”

I'm sure someone will find a use for it - just not me.

Also having thought it out some more, except for the gold knob the EM5 actually looks more like the Sony TA amp than the DMP-Z1. TA is also a desktop stationary AC powered DAC/amp combo, has all the headphone connections etc, just not the Android functionality the EM5 has. In fact the "dumb DAC/amp combo" I was mentioning in my first post, the TA would fit perfectly.

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #2,714 of 4,291
Never heard the TA “dumb DAC/amp combo" described just that way? :)
I'm sure someone will find a use for it - just not me.

Also having thought it out some more, except for the gold knob the EM5 actually looks more like the Sony TA amp than the DMP-Z1. TA is also a desktop stationary AC powered DAC/amp combo, has all the headphone connections etc, just not the Android functionality the EM5 has. In fact the "dumb DAC/amp combo" I was mentioning in my first post, the TA would fit perfectly.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #2,715 of 4,291
Never heard the TA “dumb DAC/amp combo" described just that way? :)
Only because the EM5 has Android which makes it "smart", whereas the TA is just a DAC/amp combo without any of the smart features which makes it dumb. :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back