Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Nov 3, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #2,686 of 4,310
It will be my kast audio purchase for many uears to come because A)Damn expensive and B) the absolute sound quality

I know you’ve already had an audition, so you already have some idea. It is as I’ve described a number of times, it’s 5.1 multi channel music for headphone use, it really is.

Yes, it’s a huge cost, but a lifetime of pleasure & you wouldn’t need or want another audio device.

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #2,687 of 4,310
I know you’ve already had an audition, so you already have some idea. It is as I’ve described a number of times, it’s 5.1 multi channel music for headphone use, it really is.

Yes, it’s a huge cost, but a lifetime of pleasure & you wouldn’t need or want another audio device.
I was debating between fiio M17, or ibasso DX300MAX or SP2000/SE180 and rgus DMap-Z1.

Glad i went sony. I dont really need android, for that i have my truaty iPhone 8 plus

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #2,688 of 4,310
I was debating between fiio M17, or ibasso DX300MAX or SP2000/SE180 and rgus DMap-Z1.

Glad i went sony. I dont really need android, for that i have my truaty iPhone 8 Plus

I’ve barely used my Walkman’s or any other audio device I own, since buying my DMP. 620 hours of listening now in 3 months & one week.

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #2,689 of 4,310

Glad i went sony. I dont really need android, for that i have my truaty iPhone 8 plus

While those are cheaper, they won't sound as good for sure.

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2,692 of 4,310
I have WM1A. Do DMP-Z1 has a search function? Can you browse albums and songs through the remote?

No, the firmware is basically the same in regards to the functions you mentioned.

I managed to run the DMP-Z1 firmware on the WM1A (can't make sound playing through the balanced or single-ended ports though) and I was able to take a look at everything.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #2,695 of 4,310
Order changed to processing your shipment and i got already charged the first instalment out of 5

That’s great ! So exciting for you. I know you’re going to love it. Hearing all those details in your classical music. Well it’s the same for all music genre, of course.

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #2,696 of 4,310
@gerelmx1986 arrived? :-D I would like to buy one as well - i am from germany, too.

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #2,697 of 4,310
It will be my kast audio purchase for many uears to come because A)Damn expensive and B) the absolute sound quality
The absolute sound quality for Sonys Sound signature. There are devices providing higher sound quality, but not with the unique sound signature from Sony.

Sony's self developed capacitors are the ultimate reason to own this device. Combined with the output power of 1500mW@16Ω. It's the ultimate companion for headphones like the MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R.

But there are headphones that need are more neutral/flat sound like a lot of non-Sony IEM or the headphone from Sennheiser.

So it's not the ultimate generic tool. You need the right headphone to really utilize it to its full potential.

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #2,698 of 4,310
@Whitigir @purk you both have opened and modded your DMP. Is the batteries like in WM1A soldered in the boatd ot it is connected to a multi-pin terminal? )socket)

Nov 7, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #2,699 of 4,310
I seriously don’t know why Sony want and praise Nichicon Fine gold sound.

I don’t like fine gold, it has a lot off bass and bloom, lush mid, but yet veil up lower mid details and harsh lower trebles and also compromises in sound stage . There are so many other capacitors to choose from, like Audio Note, Elna...well...whatever. In fact, I pulled them out of my lks 004 and replaced with something else

@Whitigir @purk you both have opened and modded your DMP. Is the batteries like in WM1A soldered in the boatd ot it is connected to a multi-pin terminal? )socket)

I do not have a Z1 but it seems here are two separate batteries (one for analogue and one for digital) and at least the analogue ones seems connected via sockets,

Source: https://www.sony.jp/audio/products/DMP-Z1/
Source: also the earlier post found at the above.

Nov 7, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #2,700 of 4,310
The absolute sound quality for Sonys Sound signature. There are devices providing higher sound quality, but not with the unique sound signature from Sony.

Sony's self developed capacitors are the ultimate reason to own this device. Combined with the output power of 1500mW@16Ω. It's the ultimate companion for headphones like the MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R.

But there are headphones that need are more neutral/flat sound like a lot of non-Sony IEM or the headphone from Sennheiser.

So it's not the ultimate generic tool. You need the right headphone to really utilize it to its full potential.
Just like how the TA compliments the IER and MDR as well. Having those cans makes it really hard to discern which device is better than the other. Still, the DMP is a collector piece, an eventual antique perhaps down the road

Users who are viewing this thread

Back