Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Aug 24, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #2,011 of 4,319
Aug 24, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #2,012 of 4,319
Wonder why, maybe it has no practical use?
I already posted about it several times. The main reason is that any cables with ground body will act as an antenna to attract noises. These noises will be injected toward the ground of the devices which will also contaminate the whole device. These are portable player, which has no main ground toward AC power outlet to take care of that real issue.
Grounding point on the DMP is so very carefully designed, almost exquisites. They observed the effects of grounding vs Noises Vs the density and dynamic headroom ....etc.

who would have known How much grounding points can effect the system ? Advertising with FemTo Clock sells better :wink: (and I know which company do so)

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #2,013 of 4,319
I already posted about it several times. The main reason is that any cables with ground body will act as an antenna to attract noises. These noises will be injected toward the ground of the devices which will also contaminate the whole device. These are portable player, which has no main ground toward AC power outlet to take care of that real issue.
Grounding point on the DMP is so very carefully designed, almost exquisites. They observed the effects of grounding vs Noises Vs the density and dynamic headroom ....etc.

who would have known How much grounding points can effect the system ? Advertising with FemTo Clock sells better :wink: (and I know which company do so)

Sorry if I asked again 😛 you answered it so thanks.

Haha are you talking about A&K 😉

This bring me to desktop units, they are using xlr and those are 4 pins too. So means no ground is used there in headphones wires either then?

Only uses probably the ground of wall plug for other purposes.

So all this idea of the ground is a useless feature then...

Aug 24, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #2,014 of 4,319
Sorry if I asked again 😛 you answered it so thanks.

Haha are you talking about A&K 😉

This bring me to desktop units, they are using xlr and those are 4 pins too. So means no ground is used there in headphones wires either then?

Only uses probably the ground of wall plug for other purposes.

So all this idea of the ground is a useless feature then...
Nope! Actually the XLR 4 and XLR 3 are all standardized for Pro Audio Equipments. They were meant to be used for a very long connections and designed to be ...for pro ...So, most of them are under the standard, and have ground (pin 1 or body for xlr4) connected. When you have a cables, you can always opt in or opt out the shielding , and still having it to work just fine

Also, desktop are meant to sit there and connected to the main AC which has main ground connected to drain it away....where as portable player with batteries are not
A9913432-90C8-487F-A8EC-D654A29FD623.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #2,016 of 4,319
@Vitaly2017 i know you were looking for a screen protector?
I did stumble upon this one: http://global.11st.co.kr/glb/produc...thod=getSellerProductDetail&prdNo=2285972473#

Thanks for the info I will investigate into this protector!

Meanwhile thanks to @Damz87 he took very close measurements of dmp screen and ZX507 and they fit perfectly on to dmp screen touch area!

So I ordered the zx507 screen protector in temper glass it should cover the most critical area.

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #2,017 of 4,319
Whitigir, how do you find the iBasso DX220 Max compared to the DMP? I recently pulled the trigger on a Max thanks to @hshock76 ‘s recommendation :) he speaks very highly of it. I realise his max is modded so it will be on another level to my incoming stock one, but how would a stock max go against a stock DMP from your perspective?

The iBasso 220 MAX has a good reputation for its sound performance from Audiophiles in China. However, the "User Experience" part is a BIG defect compared with DMPZ1. Or in other words, cannot compare with DMPZ1 at all.

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #2,018 of 4,319
The iBasso 220 MAX has a good reputation for its sound performance from Audiophiles in China. However, the "User Experience" part is a BIG defect compared with DMPZ1. Or in other words, cannot compare with DMPZ1 at all.

Even the engineering is worlds apart when comparing the Sony to iBasso. Sony's custom fine-resistors, careful design of pcb, the structure and materials the DMP is made of, the crack Sony team... It's not fair to iBasso at all. I don't think they have the budget to do something to the level of the DMP.

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #2,019 of 4,319
Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #2,020 of 4,319
Still, the DX220Max is an all in one package for people who love the DMP Z1 concept and want a mini DMP Z1 :)

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #2,021 of 4,319
Still, the DX220Max is an all in one package for people who love the DMP Z1 concept and want a mini DMP Z1 :)

Its still not sony and far behind. I wonder how it stands beside 1z technology

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #2,022 of 4,319
Its still not sony and far behind. I wonder how it stands beside 1z technology
It is ways good for the price, and it isn’t bad if spending money and get it modified.....however, it won’t be at the level at DMP Z1 at mainly the (soundstage, separations, layering), but once modified, it has somewhat unique sound signatures to it, the kind that is hybrid between high end tube and high end solid stage. You can find the impression about a modified Max by a musician.

Here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...ound-reproduction-new-fw.911378/post-15793617

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #2,023 of 4,319
For people who wondered about DMP Z1 ability to be used with external PSU. It brings and elevate the performances of DMP Z1 into another level

The performances can be observed with the differences when you tick off from

Setting >>> Device setting >>> Battery Preferred Unchecked
9E2996BA-BB8F-4DDD-A20D-6CEDB7CF5331.jpeg
During this Mode, the player totally switch into External power supply for both “charging circuitry and powering the system as a whole without tapping into the batteries packs at all

The Linear Regulated Power Supply that I recommend anyone to get is the Sigma 11 from AMB. It is a DIY device, and there are even cheap counterfeit from EBay too...which I do not know how good it can be (I advise people to steer away from them as it would damage AMB as a designer whom designs are free for all of DIY, instead post up in the forum and ask for authentic builder. Also the advise from the designer is that those are of doubtful quality, and to stay clear off)

Anyways, to buy a LPSU, I recommend HDPlex 250W. I have 400W and it is fine. It can’t be as good as the Sigma 11 though but it is better than running off the batteries packs

The sound performances from DMP Z1 with batteries pack VS Sigma 11 is that the DMP Z1 improved vastly in Vertical presentation of the music, the depth also expand deeper but with the holographical soundscape to expand in all axis, it is kinda hard to observe. Nevertheless, the observation of better soundstage is real.
Bass is much more dynamic, punchy, controlled, better textures around the edges and overall textures, better density, bloom and pitch balanced and controls. Dynamic is vastly improved together with a better senses that everything have better layering with more air and separations.

Mid, vocal and details greatly benefit from the improved dynamic, density and power delivery that also raise up the bar for timber’s and pitch accuracy.

TreblesTrebles also kicked up another notch for better fidelity, textures, extensions, vivid and sharp yet smooth like butter and Vaseline :D.
So there are also Pros and cons between Sigma 11 and HDPlex supplies

Sigma 11: is powerful, no current limit, small and can be carried around as well. But it has to be continuously operating. It means that you can not use Sigma 11 to charge your player Alone. You can charge and play music together however. To operate it, it is a little complex. You will have to turn on the DMP Z1 and make sure it is continuously operational within the windows of 3-5 minutes. Otherwise the PSU will keeps on pumping/charging and Once your batteries is full, the DMP will want to switch off the supplies, but the PSU will keep on giving and The DMP will be triggered into switching toward the AC mode which results in a current surge from the PSU, and yet after a couple minute the DMP realized that it isn’t playing music, it would turn off and cut off the power again....this keeps on going and the DMP would go into a loop that eventually would kill the batteries as they are over charged and the PSU gave up after so many current surges....etc...So it isn’t a friendly PSU, but downright is the best PsU for DMP if music performances is all that you want
You just need to treat it as a single no batteries player. Your PSU on, means the player have to be on....with MUSIC playing. I once left it on burn in for 10 days :wink:

HDPlex: was meant to design for PC and has current limit controlled with all the other bells and whistles. So it is fool proof while being affordable and still friendly enough with improved performances while saving your batteries as well if you sit at a desk. You can use this PSU to charge your player alone, and once the player switched off, the current control kicked in and the PSU would shut off on that output as well, until the player demand and draw current again.

The pros about Sigma 11 is that it is DIY and super dedicated, so you can also pick and opt for the components that you love the most and that can effect in benefiting your sound preferences the most. No current limit means no starvations!!! No other useless component to degrade the purity...etc

Picture of Sigma 11 DIY by me with Silmic II, Wima caps, Vishay tighest tolerances Metal film resistors, hand matched transistors, Furutech sockets (main AC input could incorporate Furutech conditioner but it isn’t my cup of tea....I prefer raw power directly), OCC Litz Copper, heatsink is the main chassis with ceramic cooling and ceramic thermal paste, soborthane transformer pad to minimize vibrations and feet’s, upgraded Powercord....except the fuse is Home Depot grade. For more information, please click on here
A9699672-4A1B-47D7-BDD8-B2E3BA1438D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #2,024 of 4,319
I am consider to buy a Linear Regulated Power Supply for the DMP-Z1, but found that the voltage available in the market is 19v. Per Sony spec, it needs 19.5v. Is it okay to get a 19v for DMP-Z1. kindly advise.

Aug 26, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #2,025 of 4,319
I am consider to buy a Linear Regulated Power Supply for the DMP-Z1, but found that the voltage available in the market is 19v. Per Sony spec, it needs 19.5v. Is it okay to get a 19v for DMP-Z1. kindly advise.
The closest I have had it working was 20V and 19.2V while making my own PSU. So given that the tolerances is 10%...you should be safe with 19V, but that is theory. You can always give it a try

Users who are viewing this thread

Back