Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Aug 28, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #2,044 of 4,314
Ah good to know! Thanks!
Pictures to show :)
17B8F3FA-075D-4A42-93BF-9D035BF568D6.jpeg16383DCF-65DD-40EB-BD0F-59568FB950DF.jpeg

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #2,046 of 4,314
Niiiice! Ok that settles that. Time to hunt one down.
I totally love this case. The front straps is for protection of the volume knob when you move around or put it in the back pack. You can move it however you want. You can even completely cover it instead of only half

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #2,047 of 4,314
I am trying the DSEE HX AI feautres now. I used to have Direct Source + DSD Mastering and this is the first time to use DSEE HX AI for 16-bit music. First impression is that it seems better than DSD mastering for 16-bit files.

But I need to turn the volume a bit higher than using the DSD Mastering. Used to at 9-10 o’clock, now is 10-11 o’clock. Anyone know why?

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #2,048 of 4,314
I am trying the DSEE HX AI feautres now. I used to have Direct Source + DSD Mastering and this is the first time to use DSEE HX AI for 16-bit music. First impression is that it seems better than DSD mastering for 16-bit files.

But I need to turn the volume a bit higher than using the DSD Mastering. Used to at 9-10 o’clock, now is 10-11 o’clock. Anyone know why?
Eventhough DSEE HX is good and fun, I still don’t use it as much (especially nowadays my library has accumulated of more than red book rate). This is still pretty good for 44.1/16 though

First of all, when you turn direct sound off, your volume is dropped down in order to allow headroom for other DSP processing. So this could be what you asked

Then second of all, the DMP Z1 has dual features , which I will cover in the next post

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #2,049 of 4,314
DMP Z1 is the Sony players that have both Sony ASIC and S/D which is also being produced to be in the very high end category. I would love to think that it is a dual featured 2+2 systems

The mode that you are listening with, the Direct On. This is Sony purest processing path. It consists from the bit perfect playback by Sony algorithms and with the best filter that it can, and then pass directly into AK4497EQ chips with multi bit PCM and the features from AKM to be taking external filters without adding any further processing to it (though digital filters can still effect it somewhat but merely not noticeable—I guess it is just the nature of Sigma Delta), and simply convert it to analog. Similar to some systems using FPGA to process the Sigma Delta modulations and utilize the AKM as interfaces with Non Over Sampling features (NOS)...Cayin for an example
Under this mode, Sony also offer DSD Remastering. So, DSD remastering is using similar DSP as the above, but apply further high pass filter and high frequencies processing with the last 1 bit stream and output toward AK4497 chips which handles DSD stream perfectly fine (this was one of the main reasons why it was chosen for)

Direct mode off
Under this mode , the ASIC from Sony doesn’t process anything DSP conversion wise, it acts as a typical system of a processor and pass all DSP toward the AK4497 chips. During this processing, before the digital streams are traveling toward the AK chips, it is allowed to add additional DSP processing Such as Upscaling with DSEE or Vinyl Engines, Dynamic normalizer.... Because the DSP conversions are relying on the AK4497, all of the digital filters have a much more pronounced effects than the previous mode. Some people call this “not bit perfect”, but I would say that if you don’t turn on anything additional, you are just fine. Unless, Sony decided to allow bit perfect here as a feature....which I doubt.

the other Dual features I discussed a few posts previously was the Power supply that are able to be: 100% AC operated or 100% batteries operated

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #2,050 of 4,314
DMP Z1 is the Sony players that have both Sony ASIC and S/D which is also being produced to be in the very high end category. I would love to think that it is a dual featured 2+2 systems

The mode that you are listening with, the Direct On. This is Sony purest processing path. It consists from the bit perfect playback by Sony algorithms and with the best filter that it can, and then pass directly into AK4497EQ chips with multi bit PCM and the features from AKM to be taking external filters without adding any further processing to it (though digital filters can still effect it somewhat but merely not noticeable—I guess it is just the nature of Sigma Delta), and simply convert it to analog. Similar to some systems using FPGA to process the Sigma Delta modulations and utilize the AKM as interfaces with Non Over Sampling features (NOS)...Cayin for an example
Under this mode, Sony also offer DSD Remastering. So, DSD remastering is using similar DSP as the above, but apply further high pass filter and high frequencies processing with the last 1 bit stream and output toward AK4497 chips which handles DSD stream perfectly fine (this was one of the main reasons why it was chosen for)

Direct mode off
Under this mode , the ASIC from Sony doesn’t process anything DSP conversion wise, it acts as a typical system of a processor and pass all DSP toward the AK4497 chips. During this processing, before the digital streams are traveling toward the AK chips, it is allowed to add additional DSP processing Such as Upscaling with DSEE or Vinyl Engines, Dynamic normalizer.... Because the DSP conversions are relying on the AK4497, all of the digital filters have a much more pronounced effects than the previous mode. Some people call this “not bit perfect”, but I would say that if you don’t turn on anything additional, you are just fine. Unless, Sony decided to allow bit perfect here as a feature....which I doubt.

the other Dual features I discussed a few posts previously was the Power supply that are able to be: 100% AC operated or 100% batteries operated

Can it do DSD Remastering with Direct Mode off?

Aug 29, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #2,051 of 4,314
Can it do DSD Remastering with Direct Mode off?

Actually you have to choose between DSD Remastering or Direct Source. You cannot use them both.

Aug 29, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #2,053 of 4,314
Actually you have to choose between DSD Remastering or Direct Source. You cannot use them both.
You have to choose Direct Source before select the DSD Remastering.

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #2,054 of 4,314

Users who are viewing this thread

Back